So I have recently upgraded my ancient motherboard and CPU. I got a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo at the same time as the other parts and installed it straight away. The temps seem really weird to me though. it idles at 50-60 degrees Celsius, depending on the core you count,  which is hotter than stock I believe (according to what I can tell from looking online), but it maxes out at about 72 with occaisonal spikes to almost 80. The entire time it is technically under the upper limit of the safe operating temperature but is that idle temp too high? I have uninstalled and reinstalled the cooler to check that it is sufficiently coated with thermal paste and that the mount is tight enough. Is the problem simply that my case has shit airflow with only 2 120mm fans with drive cages and cables in the way due to the lack of cable management options(in an effort to improve this situation I put them in the back of the case and let the panel bow out, it hasn't got enough room for the GPU power cables or any really).

The attached picture shows the Open Hardware Monitor readouts for temps by core and overall load over 6 hours.

post-280729-0-66426900-1447237792.png

Your case is likely acting as a bottleneck, can't you mod out the drive cages?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Your case is likely acting as a bottleneck, can't you mod out the drive cages?

I would but rather than cages it's more like 2 strips of metal which look to be a part of the case structure. Riveted in. I'd need to get tools and cut it out which leave the drives in a less sturdy mount and it could potentially compromise the case.

Should I just try to get a new one as soon as possible because obviously these temps can't be good fot the lifespan on the processor.

Which CPU would this be? Older ones like my old Q6600 just had high idle temps. It idled stock clocks with 45C using U9B. And that was normal since max gaming temps stayed nicely at 75C.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I would but rather than cages it's more like 2 strips of metal which look to be a part of the case structure. Riveted in. I'd need to get tools and cut it out which leave the drives in a less sturdy mount and it could potentially compromise the case.

Should I just try to get a new one as soon as possible because obviously these temps can't be good fot the lifespan on the processor.

Well the processor would handle it from quite some time, but you do need a better case.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Which CPU would this be? Older ones like my old Q6600 just had high idle temps. It idled stock clocks with 45C using U9B. And that was normal since max gaming temps stayed nicely at 75C.

i7 4790-k I hear it's a hot chip anyway but this is quite insane. Weird that it doesn't go higher though. It generally holds about 72-ish degrees. I'm not too worried about the high-ish temps under load but isn't it odd that it's idling so high? I've seen people saying they get 40 degrees stock idling on the same cpu.

i7 4790-k I hear it's a hot chip anyway but this is quite insane. Weird that it doesn't go higher though. It generally holds about 72-ish degrees. I'm not too worried about the high-ish temps under load but isn't it odd that it's idling so high? I've seen people saying they get 40 degrees stock idling on the same cpu.

First of all, I wouldn't call year old CPU "ancient". Second, thats way too high idle for 4790K. It should be closer to 40C with 212. Check what voltages you are having.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Problem solving has to start at the beginning:

You're applying thermal paste, right?  Using the pea method?

Those temps do seem awfully high. 

First of all, I wouldn't call year old CPU "ancient". Second, thats way too high idle for 4790K. It should be closer to 40C with 212. Check what voltages you are having.

No the 4790-k isn't the old one. It's the new one but it is running hot. My old CPU was an AMD Athlon 2 x4 860k. THAT was ancient, though not too shabby compared to scrapyard wars standards.

Also how do I do that? I assume it's a bios option?

Problem solving has to start at the beginning:

You're applying thermal paste, right?  Using the pea method?

Those temps do seem awfully high. 

Yes. The paste that comes with the cooler. Have reapplied a couple times. Second time I used a bit more, possibly even a touch to much to make sure. Getting to the point where I need to ask for help before fiddling more because I don't want to run out of paste and have an unusable machine on my hands till I get a more.

No the 4790-k isn't the old one. It's the new one but it is running hot. My old CPU was an AMD Athlon 2 x4 860k. THAT was ancient, though not too shabby compared to scrapyard wars standards.

Also how do I do that? I assume it's a bios option?

My mistake then. Must have read something really wrong. First check what kind of volts CPU is getting while you use it. Should be well under 1.2V while idle. If you want to set it into manual mode, its done somewhere in BIOS (can't remember where). Another thing keeping temps so high would be that cooler is loose. I doubt thats issue when you say that its been reseated couple times. What kind of idle temps stock cooler was getting (if you used one before)?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

My mistake then. Must have read something really wrong. First check what kind of volts CPU is getting while you use it. Should be well under 1.2V while idle. If you want to set it into manual mode, its done somewhere in BIOS (can't remember where). Another thing keeping temps so high would be that cooler is loose. I doubt thats issue when you say that its been reseated couple times. What kind of idle temps stock cooler was getting (if you used one before)?

Haven't used the stock one. I was thinking bout checking temps with it but then I think I only have one fitting worth of paste left besides the pre-applied stuff on the stock one so I'd have to identify the problem before doing any more refitting.

I'm getting 23 idle something isn't right

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I'd recommend it, in the mean time just tidy of the cables the best you can, probably just neatly bundle what you dont need using zipties and you should have some better airflow.

Is it possible to see a pic inside the case?

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

Yes. The paste that comes with the cooler. Have reapplied a couple times. Second time I used a bit more, possibly even a touch to much to make sure. Getting to the point where I need to ask for help before fiddling more because I don't want to run out of paste and have an unusable machine on my hands till I get a more.

Using too much thermal paste can actually insulate the CPU and cause it to run warmer. Something definitely isn't right.

Also, you should be able to buy some thermal goop for a couple of quid on Amazon.

Is your CPU overclocked? If so, turn it back to stock, just until you can figure about what's wrong.

I would also reseat your cooler, use the pea method as someone mentioned earlier. That should do the trick.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

I'd recommend it, in the mean time just tidy of the cables the best you can, probably just neatly bundle what you dont need using zipties and you should have some better airflow.

Is it possible to see a pic inside the case?

Sure. Sorry for bad mouse writing.e2Jabgh.jpg

Sure. Sorry for bad mouse writing.

*snip

What motherboard is that? some motherboards have overclock settings that apply automatically, although I don't get why that would matter at idle.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

What motherboard is that? some motherboards have overclock settings that apply automatically, although I don't get why that would matter at idle.

MSI z97 Gaming 5. It has OC genie but it's not running. The room I'm in tends to be quite warm during the day too to bear in mind but it still idles at 50 at night.

To everyone, do you think that getting a more open case and with more than just 2 fans (3 maybe) will be enough to make the temps more reasonable?

MSI z97 Gaming 5. It has OC genie but it's not running. The room I'm in tends to be quite warm during the day too to bear in mind but it still idles at 50 at night.

To everyone, do you think that getting a more open case and with more than just 2 fans (3 maybe) will be enough to make the temps more reasonable?

I think a larger case might be what the doctor ordered, for now leave the case open and direct a  small fan at it (Or a few PC fans), see if that helps in the meantime. I was expecting a complete rat's nest but I dont see one so good job!

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

• 1 month later...

It was the case. Just transplanted everything into a Fractal Design Define R5 and it almost halved my temps. The fans in the old case were utter shite too.