How do i find out if my rig work at its full potential?

Go to solution Solved by Robin88,

Ok so i installed the MSI Afterburner and did some testing. The gpu reaches 99% , but the CPU never goes above 50%. Shouldn't it go higher?

Edit: i ran a stress test with prime95 and checked the task manager: cpu was running at 99%

As a general rule of thumb your GPU usage should be 100% in games and your CPU usage should ideally be as low as possible without it affecting framerate in games, Prime95 is not a benchmark, if you want to know if you're getting the most out of your hardware then use Cinebench for checking CPU performance and Unigine Heaven or Valley for GPU performance, and if you want to know if your system as a whole is running at it's best then use PCMark.

HOWEVER! And I really must stress this part the most, only compare your scores to other systems with the EXACT SAME HARDWARE. Check your scores either in the application or on forums and see whether or not it's performing as well as others are.

Hi,

I've always had the feeling that my computer isn't running like it is supposed to. I am talking about the gaming experience: i think that my rig should run at more fps than it is currently running. 

I thought about running some bench-marking tools, but i guess they show how the system runs and not how it SHOULD run.

My question is: how can i figure out if some/any components are not working properly (at their max potential) ?

PS: this is my first post, so please excuse me if i broke some rules or smth :)

PS2: if info is needed, my system is pretty modest, 3 years old now with i5-3350p 3.1ghz, nvidia geforce gtx650 1gb, 6gb ram, 500w psu, 1tb hdd

Use some type of overlay on your games like NZXT Cam, MSI Afterburner or others.

They can state how much your cpu is being utilized, how much your gpu(s) are being utilized, how much ram is used and how much Vram is used. among other things

MSI afterburner is the more informative, but its not as easy to setup as NZXT Cam

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Download something like GPU-Z/HWmonitor and make sure you GPU's usage is at 99/100% while gaming.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

Use some type of overlay on your games like NZXT Cam, MSI Afterburner or others.

They can state how much your cpu is being utilized, how much your gpu(s) are being utilized, how much ram is used and how much Vram is used. among other things

MSI afterburner is the more informative, but its not as easy to setup as NZXT Cam

Ok so i installed the MSI Afterburner and did some testing. The gpu reaches 99% , but the CPU never goes above 50%. Shouldn't it go higher?

Edit: i ran a stress test with prime95 and checked the task manager: cpu was running at 99%

it really depends on the game. I don't pay much attention to my cpu usage in game frankly but no I dont think thats desireable. gpu yes that situation is normal. 

CPUs generally dont effect fps that much, I mean they do but its a situation where does the game have enough cpu power to run as it was intended to run. Yes? Good we dont need to utilize anymore of it.

GPU its not really like that if there is more for the gpu to give it will generally do so for higher FPS.

This isnt true witgh every game mind you in hitman as I type this im looking at 55% on gpu1 and 69% on gpu 2

CPU is sitting at 24%

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

As a general rule of thumb your GPU usage should be 100% in games and your CPU usage should ideally be as low as possible without it affecting framerate in games, Prime95 is not a benchmark, if you want to know if you're getting the most out of your hardware then use Cinebench for checking CPU performance and Unigine Heaven or Valley for GPU performance, and if you want to know if your system as a whole is running at it's best then use PCMark.

HOWEVER! And I really must stress this part the most, only compare your scores to other systems with the EXACT SAME HARDWARE. Check your scores either in the application or on forums and see whether or not it's performing as well as others are.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon