HP Build quality

Megazero
Go to solution Solved by Virtual01,

Hmm... I have never actually read the temperature of laptops. I found a review in Thai language (which I cant read... so by the power of Google Translate) which say something like the idle temp is about 30 on the surface, 40-45 on the middle of the keyboard) and while playing games like GTA it never gone pass 79 degree Celsius. Is it high or not? 

79 is pretty hot for a laptop, and out of some peoples comfort range on desktops. It's a laptop, and that number will only go up over time.

So when I was looking around for a new laptop, and I happen to come across a HP Pavilion Gaming laptop with the spec like this. I have been using ASUS laptop for the past 4-5 years and their build quality has always been good to me. But when it come to HP I have no experience and I have seen quite a few people dislike HP's build quality, so I was wondering if this one will be any good. Anyone have any idea?

On a side note, I'm considering this because right now in my place it's discounted and have the same price as the ASUS ROG GL552JX-DM291D And Lenovo Y5070, both with only 4GB of Ram and no SSD. If I were to buy additional Ram and SSD to upgrade this 2 the price would be the same as this HP Pavilion before discount, but this discount really make the HP option shine to me. Should I buy this or still go with ASUS/Lenovo option? 

My budget is about 8-850 USD-ish, since tax and stuff can bump the price up a bit here. All the notebook available to me can be found here (since it's a Thai site) http://notebookspec.com/notebook/searchV2/ , and my budget in Thai currency would be around 35000 baht, though I'd like to stick with around 30000 (which the HP got discounted to)

post-56875-0-74367700-1447041617.png

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

HP arent the best but theyre not too bad either.

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Is that rating like 4.9 out of 10? Cos that's what I would give lel.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

Interesting how that laptop runs "DOS operating system"....

Anyways, HP is neither here nor there for me. I prefer Asus and Dell over HP.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I started a whole thread about this after Experiences with Non-techies got derailed about this HP build quality!

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/284049-awful-experiences-with-hp/

Didn't do as well as I thought it would.....

Edit: Huh, just found out it got locked. I wasn't notified whatsoever, nor did a mod leave a message saying why

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

They're decent. Before they were terrible because they crammed so much into cases that most components overheated. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

i dont like hp. at all.

had 1 laptop and 2 desktops from them so far, all three are pretty bad

the laptop stopped working after a month and they claim that "i broke the motherboard by shaking it too much"

one of the desktops stopped working recently because the motherboard randomly died

so i wouldnt trust them

Interesting how that laptop runs "DOS operating system"....

Anyways, HP is neither here nor there for me. I prefer Asus and Dell over HP.

If you buy a laptop around my place by shipping or through discount, usually it come without OS. If you buy from a store then usually it come with Windows.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

Not the best but they are pretty decently built if you take care of them.

Even HP's high end gaming laptop called the Omen has awful cooling issues. On gaming laptops cooling is crucial, make sure you're buying a laptop and not a George Foreman grill.

i dont like hp. at all.

had 1 laptop and 2 desktops from them so far, all three are pretty bad

the laptop stopped working after a month and they claim that "i broke the motherboard by shaking it too much"

one of the desktops stopped working recently because the motherboard randomly died

so i wouldnt trust them

I'm currently typing this on my 7 year old HP laptop. It runs idles extremely hot (60°C+) and I don't even turn this thing off, yet it's never had any problems whatsoever*.   :P

*Except that it runs idles hot.

|| Case: Corsair Graphite 230T || CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K || CPU Cooler: Corsair A50 || Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE 3X || Motherboard: ASUS Z87-PRO ||

|| RAM: ADATA XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) || Storage: Seagate 600 SSD 240GB, WD Black 1TB || PSU: XFX Pro 650W Core Edition || OS: Windows 10 Pro || What's an optical drive? ||

Even HP's high end gaming laptop called the Omen has awful cooling issues. On gaming laptops cooling is crucial, make sure you're buying a laptop and not a George Foreman grill.

Hmm... I have never actually read the temperature of laptops. I found a review in Thai language (which I cant read... so by the power of Google Translate) which say something like the idle temp is about 30 on the surface, 40-45 on the middle of the keyboard) and while playing games like GTA it never gone pass 79 degree Celsius. Is it high or not? 

79 is pretty hot for a laptop, and out of some peoples comfort range on desktops. It's a laptop, and that number will only go up over time.

Thank for the input. If so then I will stick with the ASUS ROG GL552JX-DM291D then. Will cost some more to upgrade to 8GB and SSD, but should be worth it

Not a big fan of them, ASUS is definitely better.

Saying that, I actually own a HP laptop (because I'm a cheapa$$) and haven't had any issues ... yet ...

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Not a big fan of them, ASUS is definitely better.

Saying that, I actually own a HP laptop (because I'm a cheapa$$) and haven't had any issues ... yet ...

I saw someone else sold one of them just 5 days after they bought it because it's too hot, so I'll switch to Lenovo Y5070 then. ASUS option is quite promising but a 960M and 4720 fair quite better than 950M and 4750.