air cooling options for AMD FX 8 Core

Craig83

as per title really.

I feel the stock heatsink is good enough but the stock fan is very noisey IMO

Id like to ideally swap out just the fan for a better quality and quieter fan but i think ill end up with a fan and heatsink combo.

Ive looked at the 212 evo but i dont think it will fit with my RAM sticks.

Options on the low end of the price scale?

-snip-

Be quiet pure/slim rock

arctic freezer A11 /13

The site has changed....

asrock pro3 2.0 with 8370 and corsair vengeance

4+1 board with no VRM heatsinks? uhmm... def. do NOT go with a tower cooler. Get a topflow cooler, and don't even attempt overclocking.

Be quiet! Shadow Rock TopFlow SR1 for example.

Why would you get AMD (unless you are editing or rendering)

My guessing the system is already in his posession.

Be quiet pure/slim rock

arctic freezer A11 /13

Agree, but Arctic Freezer A32 might be better because you can use standard 120mm fans if you want it to swap it out for something even quieter, or cool better.

i dunno why AMD tbh. ive just always had them and theyre for me just what im used to.

I just want the stock cooling solution to be quieter without causing me any issues. in an ideal world.

My system is a new build and i use it for games and for all the other things too but im not massive on anything really. For the prices i paid and the amount i use it id expect to be enjoying GTA for a few years online.

FX8370 with stock cooler

XFX R9390

16GB corsair 2400

750w 80+

asrock pro3 r2.0

pny 240gb SSD

case has 2 120mm fans but room for a third on the main side panel. Nothing overclocked and I don't really intend to unless there's a reason.

I have a NAS for bulk storage.

I think a 212 would be perfect as its the right price and supposedly does the job well but I honestly don't think it will fit sadly. id go for a cheaper all in one liquid but they're pricey and then id have to work out the mounting... Decent smallish air cooling setup is IMO the way to go

and youre saying why go with AMD... Why not? I'm not really sure if youre saying ive overlooked something with no VRM heatsinks but to be honest I didn't know it was an issue or I would have made sure to.

I'm not a hardcore gamer I'm more on and off with things so I don't need to be at the bleeding edge as far as tech is concerned. #I set out with a budget and crammed everything I could into that budget to get the most bang for my £ as I could.

To each his own anyway but that's why I have what I have.

I intend to add a few things to it as I go along. Replace the case fans with noctuas 120mm ones and possibly add an extra to the main side panel and id like to add some onboard storage like a 2.5 SSHD in a 3.5 hot swap bay or something like that. This along with the better quieter cpu fan setup should be as id like it to be and have me done playing with it

381145261732​ - ebay item.

this one sided one might just be the ticket Looks sweet too

A 4+1 board without a vrm heatsink with a 8370, there is only one option: topflow cooler. And a good one...

Putting a 212 on there will guaranteed give you throttling/thermal issues, aswell as an AIO, since that doesn't cool the VRM's

Noctua C14 or Be Quiet! Topflow

thanks ill look into those right away.

Do i want it blowing down or sucking up when its mounted?

Some of the ones ive looked at seem less beefy than the stock item heatsink wise

the shadow rock seems to be well priced and fit the bill

what do you bean by 4+1 ?

Power phases for the CPU. Normally you'd recommend 8+2 for an FX 8 core, atleast. So it's pretty skimpy, and it doesn't even have a heatsink cooling it.

It has to blow down on the socket.

i see. it says its 8 core ready and upto 140w tdp so i presumed it would be just fine but thanks for the info. ill have to keep an eye on it and perhaps try a small all in one liquid cooling unit to help keep temps low