Mp3 Devices other than iPods

omglazrbms

This will probably get buried, but I thought I would ask this here, as you guys are awesome.

My iPod is dying, and I don't want to buy one of the newer ones, as I don't like them. More importantly I detest iTunes, and would like to switch over to a different music player. I'm looking for a device that'll play mp3's, and is small enough to fit in a shallow pocket and not flop around, as I'll be using it when I walk and exercise. A phone is too heavy and big for this, so I need something small, like an iPod gen 4 size range.

Is there such a product, and is it worth buying? Also are there any recommendations on media players for windows? I've tried winamp so far, and it seems pretty decent, but it's terrible for compatibility with apple products.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Samsung makes some: http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mp3.../YP-G70CWY/XAA

There are older and smaller models that are probably cheaper, but will most likely be used. I would personally get one, but I already have a smartphone(HTC DNA) to do all of it for me. Just remember that it has 480p resolution and comes with Android 2.3.5. It comes with 8GB internally but you can add a 32GB SD card if need be, front and rear camera, etc.

It's like a phone, but without the phone capabilities. Like a iPod Touch almost.

*Edit, Amazon has the different versions on one page: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-YP-G70CWY-XAA-5-Inch-Galaxy/dp/B005P1VNDW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

the best smaller mp3 players IMO are the sandisk fuze and clip+. both around $40 play just about any format and have micro sd slots.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Samsung makes some: http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mp3.../YP-G70CWY/XAA

There are older and smaller models that are probably cheaper, but will most likely be used. I would personally get one, but I already have a smartphone(HTC DNA) to do all of it for me. Just remember that it has 480p resolution and comes with Android 2.3.5. It comes with 8GB internally but you can add a 32GB SD card if need be, front and rear camera, etc.

It's like a phone, but without the phone capabilities. Like a iPod Touch almost.

*Edit, Amazon has the different versions on one page: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-YP-G70CWY-XAA-5-Inch-Galaxy/dp/B005P1VNDW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Thanks for your recommendation, but I was asking about a small mp3 player, as I don't use it except for walking.

the best smaller mp3 players IMO are the sandisk fuze and clip+. both around $40 play just about any format and have micro sd slots.
I'd second the Sansas, the Clip+ looks to be of excellent value for that price.

• 1 month later...

I use a SanDisk Sansa Clip+ with Rockbox. It's great value, especially if you get a small internal storage model and use an old microSD card as your main storage.

I am using it as there's a Rockbox plugin that plays music in order of filename through a folder, then changes to a random folder from a list. I wrote a script to synchronise the Clip+ from a m3u8 playlist into folders that each contain an album.

Album shuffle on an iPod or in a regular music player, it's difficult to get the player to play through entire albums if you have albums with various artists instead of skipping to the next album when the next track is by a different artist. With my Clip+ setup, I dont have to use iTunes at all (which means I dont need to use Windows either) and I get to listen to my music exactly how I want to.