3440x1440 (60Hz) vs 4K (60Hz) vs 2560x1440 (165Hz)

Hi,

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a new monitor and am trying to decide among these resolutions/refresh rates. I'll be upgrading from a 2560x1440, 60Hz monitor.

I'm running an i7 5820K and a pair of GTX 980 TI's in SLI. I'm aiming at playing games at max settings with at least 2X MSAA or SMAA and a stable 60FPS.

I've narrowed down my choices to the following monitors based on specs and aesthetics:

• Asus PB279Q (4K, 60Hz) or PG27AQ (4k, 60Hz, Gsync)
  • LG 34UC87 (3440x1440, 60Hz)
  • Asus PG279Q (2560x1440, 165Hz, Gsync)

Keep in mind that I've crossed the Acer Predator X34 off the list because I don't like its 'gamery' aesthetic.

I'm leaning a little more toward 3440x1440 but I'm a little hesitant because I'm worried about the 21:9 aspect ratio and I watch a lot of movies and TV shows. As for 4K, I'm worried about performance as the scaling doesn't look great on the benchmarks I've seen and I'm aiming for a stable 60FPS. I'm not sure about 1440p 165Hz because I've always prioritized higher resolutions over frame rate when making an upgrade and am not quite sure I'm ready to make that jump to 144hz+.

Which of these monitors do you personally prefer and why? 

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• Asus PG279Q (2560x1440, 165Hz, Gsync)

CPU: Intel i7 8700k    MB: Gigabyte Z390    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB     GPU: GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

Dual 1440p ultrawide IPS panels @144p Hz.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

IF ASUS made a

Asus IPS SUPER MONITOR (3440x1440, 165Hz, Gsync)

I'd buy it.  (4K ultrawide 165Hz? :rolleyes:

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

wasn't there the Predator X34. 3440x1440 @ 100Hz?

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

2560x1440, 165Hz all the way mate. I've just ordered mine and also 2x 980tis :)

Once you experience over 60hz  refresh rate with silky smooth gameplay, you will find 60fps laggy lol Trust me I know it sounds weird but it is the case.

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

I mentioned in the post that I crossed it off the list because of the 'gamery' aesthetic I don't like.

What I'm worried about is the aspect ratio of 3440x1440. I watch a lot of TV shows that are 16:9 so that would mean there would be black boxes at the side?

I'd say the 165Hz one is a good choice.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

yea if you can find one that isnt on back order and doesnt come broken =p

2560x1440, 165Hz all the way mate. I've just ordered mine and also 2x 980tis :)

Once you experience over 60hz  refresh rate with silky smooth gameplay, you will find 60fps laggy lol Trust me I know it sounds weird but it is the case.

I'm really tempted to getting one. But the only downside is gaming on the same resolution. Otherwise it seems like a perfect choice.

I'm really tempted to getting one. But the only downside is gaming on the same resolution. Otherwise it seems like a perfect choice.

What do you mean by gaming on the same resolution being a downside? I mean I come from 1080p so for me it is definitely an upgrade, and since 4K isn't mainstream yet and there isn't hardware that can fully run every game maxed out with over 60fps, it is not worth it to jump to those monitors yet. Also i'm sure 165hz/144hz 4K will be a thing in less than a year, especially with pascal gpu release :)

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

If you play single player games and/or like to relax and enjoy the beauty, go 4k. 

If you play racing or flying games/watch 21:9 movies a lot/want the aspect ratio for screen real esate, go 3440x1440p.

If you play FPS's competitively, get 1440p 144Hz.

Just my opinion.

Do note, while two 980ti's will be able to max out (or get very close to it) in every current game, they won't be able to for a long time (at 4k). 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

I'd lean towards ultrawide, IMHO. Lesser pixels than 4K but placed somewhere else seems to be more interesting, but thats just me and my opinion. I think I've had enough of the 16:9 aspect ratio, even if it had a bajillion hz.

The question is... do you want one of the following?:

1.) Ultrawide

2.) A fuckton of pixels
3.) A shitton of hz

Take your pick.

IF ASUS made a

Asus IPS SUPER MONITOR (3440x1440, 165Hz, Gsync)

I'd buy it.  (4K ultrawide 165Hz? :rolleyes:

I think there's the Asus PB348Q coming soon but its up to 100Hz. Ugly aesthetic IMO though. I just wished they made one with the same aesthetic as the PB278Q or 279Q.

What do you mean by gaming on the same resolution being a downside? I mean I come from 1080p so for me it is definitely an upgrade, and since 4K isn't mainstream yet and there isn't hardware that can fully run every game maxed out with over 60fps, it is not worth it to jump to those monitors yet. Also i'm sure 165hz/144hz 4K will be a thing in less than a year, especially with pascal gpu release :)

Sorry, not so much a 'downside'. 1440p is a great resolution. Just that it's something I've already experienced so a higher resolution would be nice.

If you play single player games and/or like to relax and enjoy the beauty, go 4k. 

If you play racing or flying games/watch 21:9 movies a lot/want the aspect ratio for screen real esate, go 3440x1440p.

If you play FPS's competitively, get 1440p 144Hz.

Just my opinion.

Do note, while two 980ti's will be able to max out (or get very close to it) in every current game, they won't be able to for a long time (at 4k). 

Looks like it's between 1440P, 165Hz and 3440x1440 for me now. I generally play singleplayer and cooperative multiplayer games. Also plenty of FPS games. I'm still worried about TV shows on ultra wide. All the TV shows I watch take up the entire 16:9 screen.

Looks like it's between 1440P, 165Hz and 3440x1440 for me now. I generally play singleplayer and cooperative multiplayer games. Also plenty of FPS games. I'm still worried about TV shows on ultra wide. All the TV shows I watch take up the entire 16:9 screen.

There will be black bars on both sides of 16:9 video; it probably won't be very distracting after a few days/weeks of use.

I would go with the 1440p 165Hz. I haven't used high refresh rates, but everybody always says they help a ton for FPS's and make things a lot smoother. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

There will be black bars on both sides of 16:9 video; it probably won't be very distracting after a few days/weeks of use.

I would go with the 1440p 165Hz. I haven't used high refresh rates, but everybody always says they help a ton for FPS's and make things a lot smoother. 

Wished there was a 3440x1440 with higher refresh rates that had an aesthetic I like. If I weren't so obsessed with aesthetics I'd probably get the Acer Predator in a heartbeat.

What I'm worried about is the aspect ratio of 3440x1440. I watch a lot of TV shows that are 16:9 so that would mean there would be black boxes at the side?

By default, yes.

But if you don't mind the frame gets cut on the top and bottom, I think there's setting where you can stretch it to fit the width of your Ultrawide.

Are there any issues with downsampling on ultra wide monitors? That's a feature that I use a lot.