Experiences with NZXT Phantom 630

DirkaFat

I didn't see anyone here review the Phantom 630, and I have some free time and I have some things to say about it, so...

http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/118-phantom-630.html <- for specs, fan mounts radiator capabilities, etc.

Apparently, this case is a slightly shorter, yet slightly wider (More cable management?) than the NZXT Phantom 820. I believe NZXT described it as a chassis for enthusiasts who can't really aim for the price of he 820. It is slightly smaller than, say the Corsair 800d (for comparison). You can put a double 120mm or 140mm radiator in the front, triple 120mm or double 140mm on the top, double 120mm or 140mm on the bottom and 120mm or 140mm radiator on the back. So yes, on paper it seems like the perfect enthusiast case for the price. All's not well, though. You can watch Linus' video on this chassis if you want to learn more of the aesthetics and insides.

Some good attributes that stick out from the crowd

- it's a big case for the price

- I like the phantom look

- fan controller and hub up to 10 fans

- supports eATX boards

- radiator/fan capability

- a lot of cable management holes

- that cable management space, you can probably fit a 5.25 drive behind the motherboard

- modular (able to arrange hard drive cages to your liking

Some bad things

- QUALITY

I'm not sure it it's just that I got a damaged one, but other people seem to have some quality issues. Well, not "issues", but at this price and enthusiast hype, I don't think it's acceptable.

- everything is bendable, from the hard drive cages, to the bottom plate, to the side panels, to the detachable front and top, and to the whole chassis itself

After you take of all the detachable parts and side panels, the WHOLE case flexes

- not a big one, but the top detachable piece is a pain to take off. I need pliers and a screw driver to take it off

- fan controller light gave out

- rear i/o and expansion slot lights died

- side panels are bent, so they don't close properly and leave a gap

- you can't take off the front cover if you have a 5.25 drive installed, though you can mod it and trim the sides

- sometimes the case fans cause the bendy metal to vibrate causing annoying noises

- paint job is lacking

These issues can be a problem if you're very concerned about looks, silence, etc. I think I'll just live with it, though.

This lack of quality is a shame, considering Corsair's $90-$140 cases such as the 350d, 400r, 500r, 550d, 650d, 600t, etc. have good quality control, or so I've heard. (Corsair is just an example)

This lack of build quality seems to be a trend with nzxt. My phantom 410 has most of the problems your 630 does alongside the worst dust filter I've ever seen.

Kudos for taking the time to write much more than I would have.

I take one look and describe it the same as all other NZXT cases - Plastic sheds

the top detachable piece is a pain to take off. I need pliers and a screw driver to take it off

Pliers and a screwdriver?  It just pulls off, you just need to put some force in to doing so.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

Pliers and a screwdriver?  It just pulls off, you just need to put some force in to doing so.

The plastic prongs take a lot of strength to pull out. It's supposed to just pull of, but I'm guessing due to the uneven posture of the case, something warped, making it hard to pull.

Or it can be because I'm too weak

The plastic prongs take a lot of strength to pull out. It's supposed to just pull of, but I'm guessing due to the uneven posture of the case, something warped, making it hard to pull.

Or it can be because I'm too weak

I must admit I was a little scared I would snap something when prising it away from the rest of the case but after I took it off once it wasn't difficult getting it off again.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

• 4 weeks later...

- rear i/o and expansion slot lights died

- you can't take off the front cover if you have a 5.25 drive installed, though you can mod it and trim the sides

These are some of the only problems i have with this case too.

My i/o and expansion light gave out after 2 months. 

I got the matte black one and the paint job on it was great and i had more than 5 people said so. I had other problems with the P 630 that you didn't mention.

1) The Power led didn't work from the beginning

2) the round 200mm fan filters are a humbug more than a help as i have found dust enters around the outside of the fans and they block air from passing through it 

3) the drive cages become shaky if you only install one cage on the top part where the 3 HDD drive cage goes

4) for me and for anyone else who installs a 5.25 drive, for me it is a XSPC res/pump combo, you can't get the front panel off without moving the 5.25 drive bay item to clean the filter and 200mm fan.

I got mine on sale for $132 on amazon but still i was of the view that the case was of excellent quality but for the price i paid there wasn't any thing better at the time that could hold a 360mm radiator.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I have a 630 too. Honestly, it looks good on paper no doubt but I really think that it could use more space for WC. Not saying the case is bad for the price tho, just that there are improvements such as cable management clearance that could be improved.

Feel free to check out the pictures in my log. U might get what I mean abt the lack of space.

Some of the issues above also apply to my 820:

- Rear i/o lights were DOA.

- One of the 200mm stocks fans made horrible noises (didn't use any of the stock fans though anyways).

- Plastic parts seem very poor quality and bend/wear easily.

- Drive sleds are laughable.

But even so i love the look of the case and the other working features and have been using Phantoms for a long time :)

• 1 month later...

I must have gotten a good 630 then, aside from the front panel removal and one side panel not fitting perfectly square. I have had mine since the end of July and its been great so far, most of my vibrations have been caused by bad fans. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT?