BT or Sky

oliverjrose99

BT or Sky

We moved into a new house which was recently built. We can't get Virgin media right now so it has to be BT or Sky. Both give the same speeds and we live relatively close to the exchange. I wanted to know how peoples experience with either have been. How reliable the connection has been, etc.

Thanks

We've got BT here, no major problems I can think of in the nearly 4 years we've been using them. Stable speeds and all.

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

Had BT for years, always had good speed no problems. I too can't get virgin media at the moment either or i would have 200mb/s down rn. 

BT or Sky

We moved into a new house which was recently built. We can't get Virgin media right now so it has to be BT or Sky. Both give the same speeds and we live relatively close to the exchange. I wanted to know how peoples experience with either have been. How reliable the connection has been, etc.

Thanks

BT. We were with BT for around 2 years before we moved to Virgin and we had no problem with them.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

I can't speak for either as I'm a Virgin customer and have been since NTL, but I do have a friend who's with Sky and he's always complaining of drop-outs/connection issues/speed issues.

I can't speak for either as I'm a Virgin customer and have been since NTL, but I do have a friend who's with Sky and he's always complaining of drop-outs/connection issues/speed issues.

Same. We had been with them since NTL. They are the only company to offer speeds over 20mbps and don't require a phone line.

We've got BT here, no major problems I can think of in the nearly 4 years we've been using them. Stable speeds and all.

Had BT for years, always had good speed no problems. I too can't get virgin media at the moment either or i would have 200mb/s down rn. 

BT. We were with BT for around 2 years before we moved to Virgin and we had no problem with them.

Great. We will go with BT then.

Great. We will go with BT then.

BT Master Race? ;)

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

I've only used BT for a year but so far, not a single drop in connections at all. The router they provided is quite decent in quality and speed IMO.

Don't get sky. Took forever to get to our speed.

The thing about Sky is it requires a period of modulation time to get full speeds.

What they dont tell you is that you will only get the 200 down IF your exchange has had 'the upgrade'. If it hasn't then back to 152 for you.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

BT Master Race? ;)

I want to be Virgin Media master race but they have taken ages to even email me back.

I have just changed over to sky because of a special offer, BT messed me around with my order, took 2 months from ordering to get it installed, then one of their engineers cut us off at the connection box by mistake. Speeds with both have been fine for the most part though. My broadband with BT gave me about 17-18mbps and my sky fibre (lower tier) is giving me 37-38mbps.

What they dont tell you is that you will only get the 200 down IF your exchange has had 'the upgrade'. If it hasn't then back to 152 for you.

Even then it's a big jump compared to a max of 20 mbps. Plus its a more reliable connection and you don't need a land line.

We moved our broadband from Sky over to BT after we chucked out our Satellite TV service (it was over £100 p/m for the phone TV and adsl broadband together).
Upgraded to BT Infinity and got a BT Vision box as part of the process. The broadband is great, 38MB/s all day and all night, don't think we've ever had any down time. The Vision box is a bit crap, but it mainly gets used as a PVR anyway, and they chucked BT Sport in for free (Swiss league football FTW).

Eeh, by gum.

ThrustJetViperPowerMustang: FX-6100 @4.4GHz (Stock Cooler) / 4x4GB Hyperam @ 1333MHz / OCZ Octane 250GB SSD / Asus HD6670 2GDDR3 / Asus M5A78LM-USB3

Oh dear poor you... well in a word then you are quite simply fucked. I don't use the term lightly either:

With BT you had better hope that nothing goes wrong... ever. Because if it does you will be facing well over a week accumulative time spent on the phone to a call centre in the middle of an Indian slum trying to explain your story over and over and over and achieving absolutely nothing. When you do finally manage to get an engineer to visit they will often either not bother to even turn up or when they do they will cause more problems and damage than what you had originally. If you are lucky they may find the fault and refuse to climb the pole to fix it, if you are unlucky you'll get landed with a bill and have a long drawn out fight to prove that it's not your responsibility.

With Sky you can at least talk to customer service that can hold a minimal conversation in English; albeit once again being as useful as a chocolate fire guard since they then have to negotiate with BT because they ultimately hold the monopoly. Oh and if you want to use your own equipment and not that piece of shit busy box that they send you then you'll need to hack it since they use MER and the MAC address of their router plus a hard coded username and password to authenticate.

To be honest all the alternatives are equally as shit... it's a sad sad country that we live in for technology unfortunately.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

At the moment I'm with Virgin (200mbps soon Feb 2016) but used to be with Sky at both my old house and new till switch over. Sky fibre unlimited is nothing special. The speed I was getting down would be either 25 or 30 with poor upload speeds. Their router is utter trash, uses components which are already outdated by years when they release them to the sky customers. I don't even think they have ac support now. Better off going with BT since virgin isn't available for your area yet.

BT or Sky

Thanks

Virgin, BT have shit customer service, Sky.... Don't even bother seriously, I've never had so many issues and no customer support in all my life this bad...

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

I want to be Virgin Media master race but they have taken ages to even email me back.

I can tweet to virgin media and they get back to me in 5 mins, We rent a flat and we've spoken on the phone to them, they need roughly 1/3 of a street to fit fiber so we're pushing our building management to help us get fibre in.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

I can tweet to virgin media and they get back to me in 5 mins, We rent a flat and we've spoken on the phone to them, they need roughly 1/3 of a street to fit fiber so we're pushing our building management to help us get fibre in.

That would be great. All I need is an engineer to see if they can put the cable in.

Snip

It is available though. There's just no cable into my house but other people have it just down the road. All I need is an engineer to look at it and possibly run the cable.

--snip--

Well fuck. You would think being the company that pretty much services all of the phone lines and exchanges they would have engineers that can do a good job and customer service which is some what helpfull.

BT or Sky

Thanks

Well. It depends on the actual speeds you'll get or how far you're from the green box or exchange. Sky it crap. I've got it at my place in Birmingham, it drops connections quite often. BT is the best option for you. Also, quick question. Are you the type of person that want's to download quick or doesn't mind having good-ish speeds?

Virgin Media could be a good one. I'm at London now, at my parents house, they've got VM. This is the speeds:

EDIT: read that you can't get VM. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Well fuck. You would think being the company that pretty much services all of the phone lines and exchanges they would have engineers that can do a good job and customer service which is some what helpfull.

Well you would... but as with anything in the service sector (i.e. NHS & police) they are severely overstretched, under resourced and lagging far behind in terms of equipment/technology. They simply don't have the resources to support the weight of their own infrastructure.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Well. It depends on the actual speeds you'll get or how far you're from the green box or exchange. Sky it crap. I've got it at my place in Birmingham, it drops connections quite often. BT is the best option for you. Also, quick question. Are you the type of person that want's to download quick or doesn't mind having good-ish speeds?

Virgin Media could be a good one. I'm at London now, at my parents house, they've got VM. This is the speeds:

EDIT: read that you can't get VM.

I live quite close to the green box and the exchange is less than a mile away. I want to download quick and want sustainable speeds because of all the totally legal things I download.