Should I change my motherboard?

Neecow

Hi,

I need you because I'm wondering if I should change my motherboard? Because with mine, I can't OC my 2500K (more than 3.7GHz) so I can't use the point of the K series... I use my PC for gaming and graphism !

My PC :

- Case : Zalman Z9 Plus

- Motherboard : ASRock H77 Pro4

- CPU : i5 2500K

- CPU cooler : Scythe Mugen 3

- RAM : G.Skill Ares 2x4GB

- GPU : AMD Radeon Sapphire HD 6870

- Soundcard : Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio

- HDD : Seagate Barracuda 1TB

- SSD : OCZ Synapse Cache 32+32GB

- Alimentation : Silver Power 500W

- Fan : Be Quiet 140mm x3, Zalman 120mm x3

- BD/DVD drive : Asus

- Accessories : keyboard G19, Mouse G700, headphone Beats By Dre Studio), Webcam Logitech C920, screen iiyama 23".

So what do you think?

If yes, which one should I take? (max. $150/150€)

Plus, I will change my case for the Fractal Arc Midi R2, what do you think about it?

And to finish, I would like to know, how much it' cost to watercool my system? (Only CPU and CPU+GPU). I prefer not all-in-one (only for the style).

Thanks. =)

perhaps.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

if i had 2500k i would overclock it to its limit and probably upgrade to this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128546

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

sure whatever you wanna do, do it

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

Hi,

I need you because I'm wondering if I should change my motherboard? Because with mine, I can't OC my 2500K (more than 3.7GHz) so I can't use the point of the K series...

My PC :

- Case : Zalman Z9 Plus

- Motherboard : ASRock H77 Pro4

- CPU : i5 2500K

- CPU cooler : Scythe Mugen 3

- RAM : G.Skill Ares 2x4GB

- GPU : AMD Radeon Sapphire HD 6870

- Soundcard : Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio

- HDD : Seagate Barracuda 1TB

- SSD : OCZ Synapse Cache 32+32GB

- Alimentation : Silver Power 500W

- Fan : Be Quiet 140mm x3, Zalman 120mm x3

- BD/DVD drive : Asus

- Accessories : keyboard G19, Mouse G700, headphone Beats By Dre Studio), Webcam Logitech C920, screen iiyama 23".

So what do you think?

If yes, which one should I take? (max. $150/150€)

Plus, I will change my case for the Fractal Arc Midi R2, what do you think about it?

And to finish, I would like to know, how much it' cost to watercool my system? (Only CPU and CPU+GPU). I prefer not all-in-one (only for the style).

Thanks. =)

There wouldn't really be much point, I mean that extra bit of performance that you gain from overclocking a bit more wouldn't be noticeable in everyday tasks anyway. I think you should keep it until next time you upgrade your CPU. 

A custom loop is going to cost you at least 250$.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

That depends on how much you want that extra bit of performance. If it isn't that important, save up for the custom loop. It is really up to you.

Yes, if you want to overclock. 

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Wow, thanks for your comments.

Assassin : Woaw, very usefull.

Levent : I keep your link in mind, thanks ;)

Cacao and ThunderShark : So If I'm following you, isn't really usefull for now? I should concentrate in the custom loop?

Yeah I know, that why I'm wondering =P

Yeah I know, that why I'm wondering =P

Please quote people when you want to reply to then, otherwise they have no way of knowing that you replied ;)

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Please quote people when you want to reply to then, otherwise they have no way of knowing that you replied ;)

Ok no prob, sorry ;)

Yes, I would buy a new board. You need to remember that the 1155 socket is now outdated so new boards will become few and far between - Australia's biggest PC store (PCCG) is already quickly clearing all 1155 motherboards. 

Yes, I would buy a new board. You need to remember that the 1155 socket is now outdated so new boards will become few and far between - Australia's biggest PC store (PCCG) is already quickly clearing all 1155 motherboards. 

Good point!

And any tips for the custom loop? I want a quiet and not too expensive one =P. I think only for the CPU for now because I don't think that my GPU is ok for that =)

Good point!

And any tips for the custom loop? I want a quiet and not too expensive one =P. I think only for the CPU for now because I don't think that my GPU is ok for that =)

@Ghost heh...

I would go have a read of the stickies in the water cooling section - they'll help you. 

@Ghost heh...

I would go have a read of the stickies in the water cooling section - they'll help you. 

I made a thread about "As cheap a wc system as I would advise". Its somewhere around 2.7 in the watercooling FAQ.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I made a thread about "As cheap a wc system as I would advise". Its somewhere around 2.7 in the watercooling FAQ.

I will take a look so =D

Thanks! =)