VR Game lets players experience the 9/11 attacks

Jerakl

Of course everybody hates a game where the 'good guys' aren't 'winning'

It isn't about "good guys winning". It's about respecting the lives lost on 9/11. Its sick that someone would think "experiencing" being an innocent victim in a terrorist attack is entertaining. I'm sure the people that developed this shit would think it'd be cool to see people jumping out of their building and eventually having it collapse on them and kill them as well.

Disgusting.

Honestly, your reply reminds me of the people I see in the YouTube comments section that are completely ignorant to Americans because they're American. I don't know if that's indeed the case or not (and I mean no offense if this isn't the case), but it isn't a simple "oh the good guys lose, this sucks" situation.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

It isn't about "good guys winning". It's about respecting the lives lost on 9/11. Its sick that someone would think "experiencing" being an innocent victim in a terrorist attack is entertaining. I'm sure the people that developed this shit would think it'd be cool to see people jumping out of their building and eventually having it collapse on them and kill them as well.

Disgusting.

Honestly, your reply reminds me of the people I see in the YouTube comments section that are completely ignorant to Americans because they're American. I don't know if that's indeed the case or not (and I mean no offense if this isn't the case), but it isn't a simple "oh the good guys lose, this sucks" situation.

I have to agree with those mostly.  This(the program) is done in very poor taste. :mellow:  Humor is sometimes a release though, so I get that too.

-

It's obvious you haven't seen the game. It's taken in a very serious manner, were you offended by Call of Duty also? 

It's obvious you haven't seen the game. It's taken in a very serious manner, were you offended by Call of Duty also? 

What?  This is a simulation?  For entertainment?  What is the subject matter again? 

Next year at E3!:  Drone Victim Simulator Pro:  "Did you ever wonder what it would be like to experience a hellfire missile from 3 meters?"

I think it's a pretty shitty thing to do to be honest.

not really. We've always made games and movies about wars and natural disasters and even holocaust etc..

Some of them toned down for entertainment purposes, some of them quite graphic in attempting to recreate the horror.

If they make a parody which pokes fun at 9/11 victims then that's different.

not really. We've always made games and movies about wars and natural disasters and even holocaust etc..

Some of them toned down for entertainment purposes, some of them quite graphic in attempting to recreate the horror.

If they make a parody which pokes fun at 9/11 victims then that's different.

Wars, natural disasters, and (to a different extent) the Holocaust, are something a bit different than an act of terrorism.

Since you brought up the Holocaust, I honestly don't believe you can find me a game that puts you in the shoes of a Jewish prisoner of WWII being in a concentration camp, being starved, abused, and finally executed. If you can actually find me a game like this, I'll shame it just as much as I'm shaming this.

Documentaries are created for educational purposes of past events. Documentaries are fine, as you aren't placed into the setting like you're a person that was actually there. Video games are an entirely different situation. Video games are meant to entertain (hence "game"). You aren't experiencing or learning anything from a video game where your ultimate goal is being terrorized/tortured and eventually death. Your life is never in danger in these video games where you're supposed to be in one of these victims' shoes. It's disgusting and I quite frankly think it's disrespectful to the deceased as well.

Привет товарищ ))))

I think it's a pretty shitty thing to do to be honest.

Oh, that's just cruel.

I have to agree with those mostly.  This(the program) is done in very poor taste. :mellow:  Humor is sometimes a release though, so I get that too.

I'm not sure if "game" is an appropriate word to call it, unless it's actually meant for entertainment value. From the looks of it, it's more of a simulation for other people to get a different/closer perspective of the twin tower attacks, in which case this VR "simulation" is no more "controversial" than a Wikipedia page discussing the 9/11 attacks.

Guys, it was precisely this. ^

It wasn't made as a game. It wasn't made to be sold. It was made as a simulation for a school project and as a tribute to the event.

http://www.techinsider.io/846-911-vr-game-developer-interview-2015-10

This wasn't people making it for entertainment or humor and they've taken it very seriously.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

It wasn't made as a game. It wasn't made to be sold. It was made as a simulation for a school project and as a tribute to the event.

This wasn't people making it for entertainment or humor and they've taken it very seriously.

Remember, in the original post, it is presented to us as a "game".

I still don't like it.

You will never experience the pain and terror that those people experienced, so there's no point in trying to portray it. There's a difference in creating an education documentary or film and creating a (since it isn't a "game" we won't address it as one) virtual reality simulation that places you in shoes that are impossible to fill where you can't (and shouldn't) hope to share the experiences of those victims.

Привет товарищ ))))

You're right. I won't bother seeing it either. It's grotesque. I don't care how serious it is, it shouldn't be done.

And can you show me where Call of Duty attempts to place you into the shoes of terror victims in a factual event? Don't bring up Call of Duty when it has no relevance to anything.

Привет товарищ ))))

Wars, natural disasters, and (to a different extent) the Holocaust, are something a bit different than an act of terrorism.

Since you brought up the Holocaust, I honestly don't believe you can find me a game that puts you in the shoes of a Jewish prisoner of WWII being in a concentration camp, being starved, abused, and finally executed. If you can actually find me a game like this, I'll shame it just as much as I'm shaming this.

Games no. It has no inherent value in that medium. But there have been plenty of movies and books.

VR has plenty of merit as a medium in trying to recreate past events.

Remember, in the original post, it is presented to us as a "game".

It was also presented as a school project with months of work put into it.

That made me question if it was actually a game in the entertainment sense. I searched '8:46 game' on google and that article was the very first result.

I still don't like it.

You will never experience the pain and terror that those people experienced, so there's no point in trying to portray it. There's a difference in creating an education documentary or film and creating a (since it isn't a "game" we won't address it as one) virtual reality simulation that places you in shoes that are impossible to fill where you can't (and shouldn't) hope to share the experiences of those victims.

No you won't. But you can try to understand, at least a little, what they went through. You'll never be able to recreate pain or fear, or exactly what they experienced. But these people made this simulation, after lots of research into it to try to make it as realistic as possible, to try to show to the best of their ability what it probably would have been like without sensationalizing anything.

I don't know, I just don't see this as bad or distasteful. It may be, but that isn't my view on it.

If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

-

I would argue that there is nothing wrong with using real life events for game content. The game isn't disrespectful in any sort of manner. (Not that respect matters in my opinion, but many people cherish "respect") Does there have to be a waiting period to use real life events,if so who defines that amount of time. 

So do we get to fly the planes or be in the buildings? Being someone just on the street would suck.

That made me question if it was actually a game in the entertainment sense. I searched '8:46 game' on google and that article was the very first result.

No you won't. But you can try to understand, at least a little, what they went through. You'll never be able to recreate pain or fear, or exactly what they experienced. But these people made this simulation, after lots of research into it to try to make it as realistic as possible, to try to show to the best of their ability what it probably would have been like without sensationalizing anything.

I don't know, I just don't see this as bad or distasteful. It may be, but that isn't my view on it.

I guess this is just of no interest to me whatsoever.  I watched what happened that day.  I kept up with stories of deaths, and escapes.  

This would not help me understand what anyone went through that day any more than I already do, or want to.

But you are right as well, calling it distasteful is 100% subjective.

I guess this is just of no interest to me whatsoever.  I watched what happened that day.  I kept up with stories of deaths, and escapes.  

This would not help me understand what anyone went through that day any more than I already do, or want to.

But you are right as well, calling it distasteful is 100% subjective.

Totally fine. People can feel how they want about this, I have no say in that. I just don't want people to think it's horrible or disgusting simply because it's presented as a game, because that implies entertainment value of some kind.

Totally fine. People can feel how they want about this, I have no say in that. I just don't want people to think it's horrible or disgusting simply because it's presented as a game, because that implies entertainment value of some kind.

Well, it is not a game.

Well, it is not a game.

Precisely.

Precisely.

I don't think it is the sim that bugs me the most.  I think of the generations growing into our modern world that will be told a story that is, less than accurate.  I value conspiracy theorists far more than people that repeat the "official" story as being factual in all respects.

It really is a shitty story.  Most people will dismiss it's lack of authenticity due to conditions like:  learned helplessness (yes, it is a scientific term) and sorts.

I have wondered what happened since that morning.  In no way can I be satisfied that I know what happened.  Anyways... wandering now.   :)

This program won't help me get what I personally want regarding that event.  I have to wait.

Games no. It has no inherent value in that medium. But there have been plenty of movies and books.

VR has plenty of merit as a medium in trying to recreate past events.

I understand why it's "neat" to be able to recreate something, but recreating horrible events should not be the top priority of virtual reality development. I also realize these students did attempt to do this for the sake of education and progress on virtual reality. I don't have a problem with their ultimate end goal of trying to progress VR while educating, I have a problem with what they ended up doing it about. Of all things, instead of trying to simulate something like the Battle of the Bulge or D-Day, they recreated 9/11...eh. 

My stance is this: Why would you create something which, at the very essence of it, will give you nothing more than a history book/movie/documentary in terms of solely informing the audience? For the most part, these three things are (with the exception of most movies) based on facts. Virtual reality, at least in some form, has to have someones interpretation of such events that are just that--interpretations. In this specific scenario, there are no witnesses to give insight on what actually happened. So you literally must use someone's factitious and/or fictitious views on what may or may not have happened. This plus not being able to truly feel what the victims felt just doesn't go over well with me. I just don't like it.

This is difficult for me to explain at the moment. I'm tired and it's 3 in the morning, so I won't post back here with anything else tonight as the previous paragraph probably made zero sense.

I would argue that there is nothing wrong with using real life events for game content. The game isn't disrespectful in any sort of manner. (Not that respect matters in my opinion, but many people cherish "respect") Does there have to be a waiting period to use real life events,if so who defines that amount of time. 

There isn't anything wrong with using real life events for game content. To an extent. But what game have you played that portrays being massacred due to the Nazis or a plane crashing into a skyscraper and you either jumped off of the building or had it collapse on top of you? And that's it--you're dead. None, it's probably safe to assume. And for good reason. Those types of "games" should not be created.

Lets not forget that many games take factual events and recreate them with fictitious people and events. It is very difficult to recreate the past exactly as it happened in a video game (not to mention the difficulty in doing it in movies), hence why it is rarely ever done.

Привет товарищ ))))

Can it demonstrate how jet fuel melted steel beams?

Doesn't need to melt them. 600°C is plenty hot enough to weaken steel to the point where it cannot support its own weight, and pretty much anything can reach 600°C when ignited.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Doesn't need to melt them. 600°C is plenty hot enough to weaken steel to the point where it cannot support its own weight, and pretty much anything can reach 600°C when ignited.

...and what, in your great wisdom, does that even mean?  How does it apply to the event of 9/11?

A bunch of regurgitated bull.

...and what, in your great wisdom, does that even mean?  How does it apply to the event of 9/11?

A bunch of regurgitated bull.

That the "can't melt steel" thing is bull because it didn't need to be melted.

Anyway, back to the topic. Was this actually developed as a commercial enterprise, or is it just some students publishing a class project?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

steel beams cant melt steel beams.

Steel beams can't melt jet fuel.

huehuehue

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise