are 1st gen i7s still relavent?

just a slight query as i was having a look around on eBay at some used i7 950s they seem to be pretty good value but 1366 boards are a) stupidly overpriced and b) hard to come by.

and i also think it would be a decent upgrade for my current system.

Got an RC? head over to The Rc Thread and tell us about it, or you can just discuss rc in general there as well.

overly obsessed with 2 strokes and RCs

BRAAAAAAPPP

Spoiler

upgrading to:i5 6600k|MSI  z170a SLI Plus|1x8GB HYPERX Black| keeping the rest of my system the same for a few months until i have enough money for a better gpu,psu and an m.2 ssd

Spoiler

my baby:2008 Ktm 125 sx 

Spoiler

current rig:core 2 quad q6600@stock|asus p5q deluxe| 4GB of mix matched ddr2| saphirre r9 270x dual x| hyper212 evo w/ 2 sp120s| corsair cx 500m ikr time bomb| wd blue 1TB| corsair spec- 03|MSX home 64bit|

They are too many gens behind for me to care about them, I'm sure you could get a used Ivy bridge for cheap, and not have to worry as much about the board as much.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Don't do it, unless you already have the hardware but the 1366 mobo's fail very easily due to early production. The i7 950 was my first i7 i had and I loved it back in 2009.

Just look at this ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-EVGA-X58-3X-SLI-LGA-1366-SOCKET-B-X58-INTEL-MOTHERBOARDS-132-BL-E758-A1-/131635849393?hash=item1ea61ba8b1:g:k~MAAOSwBLlVeH5~

infact I sold my 950 to a HS buddy because I have that same board dead. I bought a 950 of ebay for $30 to see if I can get the board to work. The last thing to try is to put it in the oven, seriously.

if core2quads are then 1st gen cores are

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

if core2quads are then 1st gen cores are

But in all reality, how relevant is a C2Q really right now?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

They are if they are sub $30

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

just look at the q6600 thats pretty much the only cq2 cpu people know about and its still decent for how old it is

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

just look at the q6600 thats pretty much the only cq2 cpu people know about and its still decent for how old it is

The C2Q is still very relevant. An overclocked Q6600/Q9400 won't bottleneck a 970/390.

an i7-950 is about like an ivy-haswell i5, am I wrong?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

The C2Q is still very relevant. An overclocked Q6600/Q9400 won't bottleneck a 970/390.

that i highly doubt

Spoiler

Was the Q8200 any good back then? I used to have one, but I was kinda noob at the time and I never even overclocked it

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Was the Q8200 any good back then? I used to have one, but I was kinda noob at the time and I never even overclocked it

qwll its most likely a newer c2q so yeah its good

Spoiler

Q8200 is awesome.  I have mine @ 3.4ghz stable 24/7

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

Q8200 is awesome.  I have mine @ 3.4ghz stable 24/7

I gave it + a pretty good gigabyte motherboard + 4gb of DDR2 ram to a friend for free, it still serves him up to this date ^^

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

it will, quite a bit actually. However, to your point, it won't bottleneck nearly enough to negate the fact that at the moment Q6600s are literally going for pocket money on eBay. Perfectly fine Q6600s with good bins for under $20. I'd pick one over any AMD part for gaming simply because it's so mind-bendingly inexpensive.

I know from experience that that is simply not true.  In firestrike my score went from 6000ish with a Q8200 at 3.4ghz to 8000+ with an i7 930 at 2.8ghz, and that was with a 280x, not a 970/390

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

I know from experience that that is simply not true.  In firestrike my score went from 6000ish with a Q8200 at 3.4ghz to 8000+ with an i7 930 at 2.8ghz, and that was with a 280x, not a 970/390

^This. Although truth be told, it really does depend on the game. Some aren't gonna care about the CPU that much, but others will totally choke on a Core 2 Quad. For entry-level gaming rigs, they're totally fine. I have a Q6600 hooked up to a 7770 and it does really well. Just can't overclock, because... well, it has a low-profile cooler. Also, being that Core 2 Quads were around when the Nvidia 8000 series was the thing, they've held their own impressively.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't most, if not all Core 2 Quads essentially a couple of Core 2 Duo dies superglued together? I would imagine that the move from dual dies to all cores on a single die made a lot of the difference between Core 2 Quads and Nehalem. I also imagine that the hyperthreading in the i7 made a lot of difference too.

^This. Although truth be told, it really does depend on the game. Some aren't gonna care about the CPU that much, but others will totally choke on a Core 2 Quad. For entry-level gaming rigs, they're totally fine. I have a Q6600 hooked up to a 7770 and it does really well. Just can't overclock, because... well, it has a low-profile cooler. Also, being that Core 2 Quads were around when the Nvidia 8000 series was the thing, they've held their own impressively.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't most, if not all Core 2 Quads essentially a couple of Core 2 Duo dies superglued together? I would imagine that the move from dual dies to all cores on a single die made a lot of the difference between Core 2 Quads and Nehalem. I also imagine that the hyperthreading in the i7 made a lot of difference too.

yeah at least the mobile quadcores were fuzes dual core chips 

hexacore xeons on 1366 are pretty nice.  X58 is also awesome for BCLK overclocking 

+1

Just bought another rampage gene iii with a x5670 for my HTPC.

6-core gaming rig in the lounge room for under $500 FTW.

Buying a first generation i7 doesn't make much sense when you can buy brand new Haswell i5s for $175 with $65 H97 boards.