HTC One X catches fire while charging

ETRJ

cool :P

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

That is extremely worrying. I wouldn't want my 4S to catch fire like that...

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

This is almost NEVER the phone manufacturers fault but rather a cheap crappy charger with not surge or charge protection.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

This is almost NEVER the phone manufacturers fault but rather a cheap crappy charger with not surge or charge protection.

oh I know that some people just buy a crappy charger that thy can use with there phone and think its ok :(

oh I know that some people just buy a crappy charger that thy can use with there phone and think its ok :(

I reckon phones should include a warning with them  :wacko:

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Speaking of chargers, where can I get high quality chargers? I want to stealth some in my wall sockets.

"Please don't buy any cheap charger, but buy this premium one manufactured by us™" 

Would definitely work.  :P

i7 4770K - Maximus VI Formula - GTX 780 Ti - Corsair 900D 

For the past couple of years I have been seeing these occurrences popping up on the internet. Almost every common cellphone manufacturer has had their phones 'catch fire'. Doesn't surprise me to see it again YAWN

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Aftermarket cheap battery or cheap charging cable?

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Things like this happen. It isn't a big deal. You have to realize that there are hundreds of millions of cell phones in the world. The current rate of android phone activations is somewhere around 1.5 million a day. So even when one phone here or there starts on fire it isn't noteworthy in any way to me.

It won't matter, most people won't read them.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

That is extremely worrying. I wouldn't want my 4S to catch fire like that...

Make sure to use the official charger (or a high quality one at least) and  you shouldn't need to worry. It's not the first time this happened, it almost always turns out to be due to a crappy charger or something stupid like putting the phone in a microwave.

Make sure to use the official charger (or a high quality one at least) and  you shouldn't need to worry. It's not the first time this happened, it almost always turns out to be due to a crappy charger or something stupid like putting the phone in a microwave.

I think I should be fine. I'm using a HTC wall plug and an iPhone charging cable from Belkin :P

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

I think I should be fine. I'm using a HTC wall plug and an iPhone charging cable from Belkin :P

Why though? the official charger is so fast! Anyway you should be ok.

Why though? the official charger is so fast! Anyway you should be ok.

Because I bought my iPhone in America. So I got the tiny wall wart thing. I live in the UK so I would have to buy an adapter anyway so I used one from an old HTC. Works completely fine :)

Because I bought my iPhone in America. So I got the tiny wall wart thing. I live in the UK so I would have to buy an adapter anyway so I used one from an old HTC. Works completely fine :)

I get what you mean, I have a N7 charger with US-UK adapter and they never sit well in the adapter and you can't plug them in directly. Still I try to use the official charger to make sure it charges at the optimal rate (which happens to be surprisingly high for the GS4), it uses an EU not a UK plug (which is about as small as US) but I don't move my chargers around so I just plug it in directly.

Aftermarket cheap battery or cheap charging cable?

Might be faulty cable, but the HTC One X has a non replaceable battery so it can't be that.

It seems like most of the insidents like these happens when people use third party stuff like extended batteries, and sometimes they flat out lie like with this: Samsung Galaxy S3 didn't explode, owner 'fesses up.

"The only way it was possible to produce damage similar to the damage recorded within the owner's damaged device was to place the devices or component parts within a domestic microwave."

And the owner of the phone was quick to own up. "I would like to retract my original statement," dilo2k10 wrote on the forum. "The damage to the phone was caused by another person, although they were attempting to recover the phone from water this later caused the damage shown on the phone.

Someone claimed that their Galaxy S 3 spontaneously caught fire, but it was then later reviled that he had gotten the phone wet, and then put it into a microwave to try it.

Seems like a legit website.

Remember when Samsung paid off students to put bad reviews about non-samsung phones on the internet? yeah...

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

People are dumb. Who knows what actually caused this or if its even true.