Hey Linus.. Adjusting for dollar cost averaging is SLI/Crossfire worth it?

Luc412

I watched all your dual gpu video's, but didn't see this exact question posed. 

So, SLI/Crossfire provide next gen graphics today.. (sounds oxymoronic, but that's the phrase anyhow) 

Lets say I have a $500 gpu budget; 

Will you see better performance by spending it all on one higher end card like a 980?

or two mid range cards like $200 GTX 960's? (my gut tells me two lower end cards would outperform) 

Does anyone know of unbias benchmarks on this? 

Thanks!

two 960s will *usually* perform better, but the game needs to support SLI otherwise you only get the performance of one

typically one more powerful GPU is recommended over two low end ones

it will also be quieter and use less heat

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It has been stated on Linus' videos and on this forum many times that you're better off getting the single most powerful card that you can afford, and then use that. Then if you want, you can add another later and have even MOAR performance. SLI right off the bat might get you more performance immediately, but you'll have no upgrade path short of selling the cards. Plus, you have issues with SLI support, stuttering, frame buffer restrictions, etc...

SLI/Crossfire is worth it in one of three scenarios.

1- You want performance that top end graphics cards can't provide on their own.

2- You already have one decent graphics card plus a compatible motherboard, PSU, and case.

3- You are running programs that benefit from multiple graphics cards.

Adults are just kids with bigger wallets.

Anything more than two-way SLI or XFire is unnecessary and the performance gains will not justify the cost of a three or four-way SLI/XFire config.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Where i can find info about warning points satus an d that stuff?

It has been stated on Linus' videos and on this forum many times that you're better off getting the single most powerful card that you can afford, and then use that. Then if you want, you can add another later and have even MOAR performance. SLI right off the bat might get you more performance immediately, but you'll have no upgrade path short of selling the cards. Plus, you have issues with SLI support, stuttering, frame buffer restrictions, etc...

Can you link me to the youtube video where he addresses this issue? 

Thanks

Where i can find info about warning points satus an d that stuff?

Go to the off topic section to ask things like that, please. It's rude to interrupt someone's topic to ask a completely unrelated question.

Click on your name, or go to your profile, and below your avatar it should say x warning points, where x = how many you have. Click on that and you can read info detailing any warning points you've accumulated.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

It has been stated on Linus' videos and on this forum many times that you're better off getting the single most powerful card that you can afford, and then use that.

Linus has also stated that he's often misquoted as saying that, and SLI is a great option, especially when the two graphics cards placed in SLI are the same GPU as the higher / highest end GPU (e.g. 970 SLI may be better than a single 980).

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

If you're starting from scratch, get one strong card. For upgrading two GPUs is a great option

If anyone asks you never saw me.