NH-D15, really that good?

Knusperfisch

So, I normally planned on getting an AIO from Enermax. The Liqmax II 240. Then I read that if you buy an entry level AIO, you should invest your money in air cooler instead because it mostly gets better performance at this price range (~80€).

So I mostly wanted an AIO for the looks, but I kinda like the look of the NH-D15 now. 

Is the NH-D15 really that good as everyone says? And is it quieter as some AIOs? Will I be able to get an 4.5GHz overclock on my 4690k if the chip allows it? Or won't the NH-D15 be able to handle all the heat?

Edit: Forgot to mention that my case is the Phanteks Enthoo Pro, with the standard 200mm intake fan and 140mm exhaust fan.

You'll easily get 4.5 if the chip can do it. Mine never went above 70C with a bit a voltage added. It's the quietest thing in my system. It's worth it if you have the room.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Get a Cryorig R1. It looks nicer,performs the same, and doesn't interfere with RAM.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

It'll definitely be able to handle all the heat. I advise getting the NH-D15S though for better RAM clearance and PCIe clearance :D Also, the D15 actually keeps CPUs cooler than some AIOs.

I don't like high profile RAM. It just doesn't suit my taste. I'm currently running 8gb of Kingston HyperX. They shouldn't be too big, right?

I don't like high profile RAM. It just doesn't suit my taste. I'm currently running 8gb of Kingston HyperX. They shouldn't be too big, right?

It will fit as long as your top most PCIe slot is an unused X1 slot and your GPU doesn't have a thick backplate. Otherwise the clamps for the fans might interfere with it a bit, hence the D15S would be an alternative.

Other than that it is a brilliant cooler with excellent fans. At higher fan speeds (80-100%) it can get slightly noticable from outside of the PC though. And it is ugly, but that's my opinion. :D

who cares...

It'll definitely be able to handle all the heat. I advise getting the NH-D15S though for better RAM clearance and PCIe clearance :D Also, the D15 actually keeps CPUs cooler than some AIOs.

They're both the same heatsink, so clearance is going to be the same on both for PCIe.

10334_big.png

That's my mainboard. I'm using the first PCIe 3.0 x16 Slot for my 980 Ti.

1005051_1__64411-1.jpgWould there be any interference?

No, the D15 and the D15S are completely different, google it :P

Ah, I didn't see they moved it upward a little bit. Thanks.

That's my mainboard. I'm using the first PCIe 3.0 x16 Slot for my 980 Ti.

Would there be any interference?

The NH-D15 should be great with that board, since your PCIE-3.0x16 slot is in the second slot, and the Enthoo Pro is huge, it should handle the NHD-15 fine even with higher profile RAM and the back fan moved up a bit to accommodate the RAM.

It's quieter than every AIO. 4.5ghz isn't that high with such a cooler--you should be shooting for at least 4.8ghz+ depending on your chip.

Any decent cooler along the lines of a 212 Evo should already be fine for 4.5ghz at average voltages. 

There are many lines of HyperX ram. You shouldn't have an issue with any lines other than Beast ram. 

Would there be any interference?

No.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

im using the nh-d15 and it keeps my 4790k cool at low fans speeds even with a 4.8 OC. if you are worried about pcie clearance get the NH-D15S model its the same tower but offset so it hangs over the mosfet heatsinks more (it only comes with one fan tho which if you have high profile ram means savings)

wan

Damn, a 4.8GHz overclock? That would be insane. Let's hope the silicon lottery was good to me. So overall, the NH-D15 is the better performer and hassle free variant? How about its weight, let's say transporting my pc to a friend with my car. Would there be problems with the NH-D15 breaking the motherboard?

Edit: 

im using the nh-d15 and it keeps my 4790k cool at low fans speeds even with a 4.8 OC. if you are worried about pcie clearance get the NH-D15S model its the same tower but offset so it hangs over the mosfet heatsinks more (it only comes with one fan tho which if you have high profile ram means savings)

Damn, a 4.8GHz overclock? That would be insane. Let's hope the silicon lottery was good to me. So overall, the NH-D15 is the better performer and hassle free variant? How about its weight, let's say transporting my pc to a friend with my car. Would there be problems with the NH-D15 breaking the motherboard?

Better performer and hassle free compared to what?

Weight wouldn't be an issue if you don't mind the system just being heavier. Any strain on the motherboard is spread out due to the mounting hardware. 

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Better performer and hassle free compared to what?

Weight wouldn't be an issue if you don't mind the system just being heavier. Any strain on the motherboard is spread out due to the mounting hardware. 

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

Sorry, I replied through Tapatalk from my smartphone. I wasn't able to quote someone.

Hassle free compared to an AIO.

Sorry, I replied through Tapatalk from my smartphone. I wasn't able to quote someone.

Hassle free compared to an AIO.

Noctua's mounting hardware is excellent without much hassle and is as good if not better than most AIO mounts.

NH-D15 is every bit worth it. Only complaint I have (and thus the reason I am selling mine) is that the wire clips on the fans touch my GPU's PCB if I have it in the top PCIe slot. Otherwise, the cooling is downright beautiful. i7-5820k OC @ 4.3GHz, never seen temps over 69C, and that's under heaviest imaginable load. Right now I'm exporting a video from Premiere and my temps are bouncing between high 40s and high 60s. Core Temp just logged the hottest core hitting 69. Actually, I think I may need to clean something if it's getting that hot. <.<

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.

NH-D15 is every bit worth it. Only complaint I have (and thus the reason I am selling mine) is that the wire clips on the fans touch my GPU's PCB if I have it in the top PCIe slot. Otherwise, the cooling is downright beautiful. i7-5820k OC @ 4.3GHz, never seen temps over 69C, and that's under heaviest imaginable load. Right now I'm exporting a video from Premiere and my temps are bouncing between high 40s and high 60s. Core Temp just logged the hottest core hitting 69. Actually, I think I may need to clean something if it's getting that hot. <.<

Damn this sounds awesome. The clips shouldn't be a problem with my motherboard. Gonna order the NH-D15 in 1 or 2 days :)

In which direction are the fans of you pushing the air? To the rear exhaust?

Damn this sounds awesome. The clips shouldn't be a problem with my motherboard. Gonna order the NH-D15 in 1 or 2 days :)

In which direction are the fans of you pushing the air? To the rear exhaust?

I have it blowing from front to back, yes. Pushing toward the rear exhaust. I also have two front intake fans. Having all fans on low (meaning I can't hear them running) keeps everything nice and cool, and I can only guess a large part of that is thanks to the fans on this thing helping to direct the airflow.

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.