8350 to 4770k

thegerm22
Go to solution Solved by thegerm22,

Thanks for all the input everyone!

I think I'm going to go for it. I was able to talk him down to $275.

Before I begin, I know the specs and benchmarks for these CPUs. I know the differences, pros and cons. It's not a question of which one is better.

Here is where I'm at. I have a gaming rig I am happy with, but could stand a bit more processing power. The system is an AMD 8350 with an Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Mobo.

I have the option to buy a 4770k with an MSI Z87-G43 Gaming mobo for $300 US dollars.

If you were in my shoes would you buy it? Thoughts?

i have the same MB and an fx-9590. 

i'd do it. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Buy it. Would probably be a good upgrade. Then, OC the 4770k to be a 4790k (3.5GHz to 4.0GHz.) I bet the mobo could handle it.

I used to be quite active here.

if they are new .. sure.. if not then dont do it you can get them new for about that much right now 

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

Well it really depends on what you plan to do with it. If just gaming you could probably just wait untill you build a new system. If you plan on doing editing or streaming or 3D moddeling, buy it.

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

Before I begin, I know the specs and benchmarks for these CPUs. I know the differences, pros and cons. It's not a question of which one is better.

Here is where I'm at. I have a gaming rig I am happy with, but could stand a bit more processing power. The system is an AMD 8350 with an Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Mobo.

I have the option to buy a 4770k with an MSI Z87-G43 Gaming mobo for $300 US dollars.

Sound like a great deal.

I had the Z87-G43 (or still have it sitting on my shelf), which is a great board.

if they are new .. sure.. if not then dont do it you can get them new for about that much right now 

They are used parts, but from a reputable source. From what I've found online I'd be saving about $175. If you see the parts cheaper new would you mind linking them?

Well it really depends on what you plan to do with it. If just gaming you could probably just wait untill you build a new system. If you plan on doing editing or streaming or 3D moddeling, buy it.

I'm gaming, but also heavily using Photoshop and Illustrator.

They are used parts, but from a reputable source. From what I've found online I'd be saving about $175. If you see the parts cheaper new would you mind linking them?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/413248/core_i7_4770k_35ghz_socket_lga_1150_boxed_processor

not sure if you have a micro center near you but theres the cpu for 236 bucks and then you can get just about any matching mobo.. microcenter usually gives good deals if buying a cpu/mobo together

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

from the CPU ? and you save 175$ ? dont buy it, probably its been OC really hard so the CPU is probably already weak and ready to die

Key Switches Guide | LLT Beginner Guide | GPU TDP & Power Consumption Explained | PSU Tier

s a d b o y s 2 0 0 1

Sound like a great deal.

I had the Z87-G43 (or still have it sitting on my shelf), which is a great board.

How well were you able to overclock with that board? I'll be using an H100i.

I'm gaming, but also heavily using Photoshop and Illustrator.

Well I don't know how much performance you will gain. Possible some but the question is if its worth 300. But if you want to do it, do it

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

from the CPU ? and you save 175$ ? dont buy it, probably its been OC really hard so the CPU is probably already weak and ready to die

It's actually from a close friend I trust and he has not overclocked it. I believe him. Would that change your opinion or not?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/413248/core_i7_4770k_35ghz_socket_lga_1150_boxed_processor

not sure if you have a micro center near you but theres the cpu for 236 bucks and then you can get just about any matching mobo.. microcenter usually gives good deals if buying a cpu/mobo together

I saw this deal, but I'm only near a Frys Electronics, not a Microcenter. Thanks for the info though!

It's actually from a close friend I trust and he has not overclocked it. I believe him. Would that change your opinion or not?

not for 300... like i said you can get them new for about that much 

if he came down to liek 250 then go for it.. show him how much the stuffs going for new and you can probably get him to come down in price

How well were you able to overclock with that board? I'll be using an H100i.

Not at all, because I had an i5-4670 (non-k) :P

I have the option to buy a 4770k with an MSI Z87-G43 Gaming mobo for $300 US dollars.

well yeah but to be honest if it's just for gaming a i5 matches it

well yeah but to be honest if it's just for gaming a i5 matches it

True, but I would benefit from the hyper-threading. I'm heavy adobe user.

True, but I would benefit from the hyper-threading. I'm heavy adobe user.

Oh, if so definitely i7 would be good for that with those programs.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

I think I'm going to go for it. I was able to talk him down to $275.