Drill Acrylic Waterblock to Insert LED's

Hey guys, I'm looking to drill holes in a acrylic waterblock in order to light it up with some 5mm LED's.

The problem is I can't find a good drill bit in order to do it and I'm not sure of the "how to" as well.

I found a 5.5mm bit here:

http://www.glapinc.com/cart/product_info.php?cPath=635_636&products_id=845

and it seems that they give you a bit of acrylic to practice on as well. Only issue, they charge $20 for shipping.

Otherwise there's this one on amazon (without the acrylic):

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-BL4140-Fractional-64-Inch-12-Pack/dp/B001AHU2YQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446000825&sr=8-1&keywords=13%2F64%22+acrylic+drill+bit

Are these actual acrylic drill bits? And if I purchase it, how would I use it?

I would also be fine switching to 3mm led's as well.

Thanks!

you need a drill to use drill bits lol

also i dont think drilling acrylic would be the best idea as they crack easily

also some waterblock manufactuers have pre-drilled LED holes (i know that EK-supremacy does, their pump tops too)

-SNIP-

Acrylic drill bits have very little rake on the cutting edge so they don't pull through like most bits such as for wood, you just need to be very careful when doing this to not overdo the drilling.

Hey guys, I'm looking to drill holes in a acrylic waterblock in order to light it up with some 5mm LED's.

The problem is I can't find a good drill bit in order to do it and I'm not sure of the "how to" as well.

I found a 5.5mm bit here:

http://www.glapinc.com/cart/product_info.php?cPath=635_636&products_id=845

and it seems that they give you a bit of acrylic to practice on as well. Only issue, they charge $20 for shipping.

Otherwise there's this one on amazon (without the acrylic):

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-BL4140-Fractional-64-Inch-12-Pack/dp/B001AHU2YQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446000825&sr=8-1&keywords=13%2F64%22+acrylic+drill+bit

Are these actual acrylic drill bits? And if I purchase it, how would I use it?

I would also be fine switching to 3mm led's as well.

Thanks!

id legitimately try melting a hole then drilling one

you'll want a stabilized drill such as one on a rail or a press that way you can control the range of motion better. you could also take a lighter and warm the bit up a few degrees above room temperature to assist the physical properties.

Look for metal drill bits. As @W-L said, wood bits don't work as the rake angle is too high, but metal bits work great. You won't crack the acrylic if you let the bit do the work. The only thing with acrylic is that if you have the speed too high you could possibly melt the acrylic. Some guides I've seen reccommend a lubricant with metal bits, but if you only do a little, back off, and then contiune until your done you won't have problems.

Also maybe go for 3mm leds, no point in making the hole bigger than it needs to be.

id legitimately try melting a hole then drilling one

Woah, sounds scary.

you'll want a stabilized drill such as one on a rail or a press that way you can control the range of motion better. you could also take a lighter and warm the bit up a few degrees above room temperature to assist the physical properties.

You actually want the bit to be cool so it won't melt the acrylic.(and that makes it look ugly)  Having a drill press would be nice, but not manditory.

You don't need a special bit for acrylic. Multipurpose/metal bit is fine, wood or cement bits aren't. Drill a smaller pilot hole first. Like 2mm or so. Then the big one. Low RPM. Put some tape on the bit to mark how deep you want to go. Practice makes perfect. I'd go to a brick and mortar hardware store to get the bits. You don't need 12 of them. :D

You don't need a special bit for acrylic. Multipurpose/metal bit is fine, wood or cement bits aren't. Drill a smaller pilot hole first. Like 2mm or so. Then the big one. Low RPM. Put some tape on the bit to mark how deep you want to go. Practice makes perfect. I'd go to a brick and mortar hardware store to get the bits. You don't need 12 of them. :D

Good advice, drilling a pilot hole will make it easier and safer, and the tape on the drill is a great idea to gauge depth.

You really don't need special drill bits to drill acrylic, you can easily drill acrylic with craptacular drill bits from can-tire or home hardware.

Woah, sounds scary.

You actually want the bit to be cool so it won't melt the acrylic.(and that makes it look ugly)  Having a drill press would be nice, but not manditory.

cool?

for sure not wood bits, they are designed to carve, not push

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it! So regular metal bits are okay but wood bits aren't..so how can I tell the difference between the two bits?

Also, I only have handheld drills..is this something where I would need to use a drill press? Or is there a way I could make my current drill stable enough to make clean holes?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it! So regular metal bits are okay but wood bits aren't..so how can I tell the difference between the two bits?

Also, I only have handheld drills..is this something where I would need to use a drill press? Or is there a way I could make my current drill stable enough to make clean holes?

Very similar to this below most bits with low rake they have a very small flat at the end of the bit check the video below @1:10. If you have really steady hands and clamp down your work piece I don't think you'll have any problems just go slow so it doesn't generate too much heat to the point of melting surrounding material.

Very similar to this below most bits with low rake they have a very small flat at the end of the bit check the video below @1:10. If you have really steady hands and clamp down your work piece I don't think you'll have any problems just go slow so it doesn't generate too much heat to the point of melting surrounding material.

This helps a lot! I don't have one of those stones, any idea what would work in place of it or do I actually need one?

And the bit on amazon says it comes with 12 (as well as the description) but the reviews says that it only comes with one.

This helps a lot! I don't have one of those stones, any idea what would work in place of it or do I actually need one?

And the bit on amazon says it comes with 12 (as well as the description) but the reviews says that it only comes with one.

If you have a metal file it can be done very carefully, or if you find a drill bit that has that very small flat on the cutting edge would be a good bit to use.

I've found the best bit to use on acrylic is a brand new HSS (high speed steel) bit. They are extremely sharp (relatively speaking) so it cuts very clean and easy.

Thank you for all the info, guys. I'll post the results in my build log later this month!

Why drill holes?  Just put a LED strip behind it. (Assuming you are talking about a GPU waterblock.)

Here is an EK waterblock with one of our LED strips behind it. 

http://imgur.com/BKeIqRO 

http://imgur.com/8HrBY7R

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

Why drill holes?  Just put a LED strip behind it. (Assuming you are talking about a GPU waterblock.)

Here is an EK waterblock with one of our LED strips behind it. http://imgur.com/BKeIqRO http://imgur.com/8HrBY7R

That looks fantastic! I could get away with that on the gpu's, but what about on the cpu block? It's an ek m8g monoblock.

That looks fantastic! I could get away with that on the gpu's, but what about on the cpu block? It's an ek m8g monoblock.

ahhh was hoping I had found a solution for you that doesn't involve drilling/ voiding the warranty.  

Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

ahhh was hoping I had found a solution for you that doesn't involve drilling/ voiding the warranty.

I think i have an idea, do you think it would be possible to route some led's around the two sides of the monoblock that's under the m8h's io shroud?

http://www.ekwb.com/uploads/images/325_FB-ASUS-M8G-Monoblock_NP_fitred_1200.jpg

I think i have an idea, do you think it would be possible to route some led's around the two sides of the monoblock that's under the m8h's io shroud?

http://www.ekwb.com/uploads/images/325_FB-ASUS-M8G-Monoblock_NP_fitred_1200.jpg

I am not sure of the spacing in that area, but it should be possible, LED strips are 10mm wide, with a height of 3mm, length can be changed to your needs.

Addon Customs -

I am not sure of the spacing in that area, but it should be possible, LED strips are 10mm wide, with a height of 3mm, length can be changed to your needs.

So I tried checking the waterblock (without the motherboard) with one of the light strips I currently own and man, it looks gorgeous! 

Thank you for the idea and advice, these are going to turn out great!