Dual NIC VPN and Internet

dtsmith69

I work from home and many times I have to log into a VPN for a customer. When I do this I cannot access the Internet. If I use two different NIC cards can I configure this somehow to use one for the VPN and the other to connect to the internet at the same time? Any help would be much appreciated.

Dale

I work from home and many times I have to log into a VPN for a customer. When I do this I cannot access the Internet. If I use two different NIC cards can I configure this somehow to use one for the VPN and the other to connect to the internet at the same time? Any help would be much appreciated.

Dale

Probably, it depends how your network is set up.  The basic's are you cant have two internet gateways "normaly".

You would need to specify which adapter your VPN used also. Im farely sure at least in windows you can just sellect to use a different adapter for VPN's such as PPTP

Personlay what i have done is I have setup and VPN client using PFsense and that client is setup on a different local network range. So I keep my normal home network and also have another, Any extra networks or adapters you dont set the Default gateway on. So you keep your "internet" connection and also still have access to your VPN network range.

You can use your second adapter for your VPN client connection thats fine.

EG:

Lan1 (internet) 192.168.1.1  255.255.255.0  (defualt gateway 192.168.1.1)

Lan2 (VPN Client1) 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.0  No default gateway

Lan3 (VPN Client 2) 192.168.10.2 255.255.255.0  No default gateway

This setup howerver will take some time to do, I only chose this way because I need to have access to multiple VPN ranges.

Another posibility is that you just buy a second small PC have one NIC on the internet and the other directly attatched to you PC that you just remote desktop to.

Probably, it depends how your network is set up.  The basic's are you cant have two internet gateways "normaly".

You would need to specify which adapter your VPN used also. Im farely sure at least in windows you can just sellect to use a different adapter for VPN's such as PPTP

Personlay what i have done is I have setup and VPN client using PFsense and that client is setup on a different local network range. So I keep my normal home network and also have another, Any extra networks or adapters you dont set the Default gateway on. So you keep your "internet" connection and also still have access to your VPN network range.

You can use your second adapter for your VPN client connection thats fine.

EG:

Lan1 (internet) 192.168.1.1  255.255.255.0  (defualt gateway 192.168.1.1)

Lan2 (VPN Client1) 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.0  No default gateway

Lan3 (VPN Client 2) 192.168.10.2 255.255.255.0  No default gateway

This setup howerver will take some time to do, I only chose this way because I need to have access to multiple VPN ranges.

Another posibility is that you just buy a second small PC have one NIC on the internet and the other directly attatched to you PC that you just remote desktop to.

Thank you for the feedback, very useful.

Dale