Audiophile

This year for Christmas (yes i know its early) I have told my parents that I want a set of high quality headphones and speakers to go along with the amplifier and turntable they are getting me. I am sure that they will get me nice stuff but i want to specify what I want. The only problem is that I have no idea one thing about high quality audio makers, but I do know when audio quality is high. Can anyone recomend me a set of studio headphones (under £300/$460) a pair of speakers (sub £100/$150) and an amplifier (sub £150/$230) 

Thanks

I wouldnt listen to only TekSyndicate. He isnt that great when it comes to Audio. But the headphones arent bad that he reccomends. But if you pay 500$ for headphones they wouldnt be. Unless they are Beats by Geys

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

Browse the headfi forums. They'll help answer your questions and probably do it better than we can.

CPU - Intel i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 (Rev 2.0) | RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8) DDR3-1866 | Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti SC | Case - Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) | PSU - EVGA 750W B2 | Display - Acer K272HUL | Keyboard - E-Element RGB | Mouse - Logitech g502 | Sound - Klipsch ProMedia 2.1/Fostex TH-x00/Sennheiser HD595

Is this the first time you've spent this much money on headphones and other audio equipment? I wouldn't advise spending $400+ on headphones until you know what kind of sound signature that you want. Also, your budget for speakers and amplifier is kind of backwards and oddly specific. I can't really imagine needing to spend $230 on an amplifier for a $150 2.0 speaker pair.

If you really want the best possible quality for your overall budget ($830?) you should probably think about spending all your money on just speakers or just headphones, not both. And again, be careful of spending that much money when you have no idea what sound you want. "High quality" is not a sufficient answer.

Browse the headfi forums. They'll help answer your questions and probably do it better than we can.

I disagree strongly.

All of that stuff might help you out: :)

Not really, because those videos only cover bottom-of-the-barrel budget stuff.

Is this the first time you've spent this much money on headphones and other audio equipment? I wouldn't advise spending $400+ on headphones until you know what kind of sound signature that you want. Also, your budget for speakers and amplifier is kind of backwards and oddly specific. I can't really imagine needing to spend $230 on an amplifier for a $150 2.0 speaker pair.

If you really want the best possible quality for your overall budget ($830?) you should probably think about spending all your money on just speakers or just headphones, not both. And again, be careful of spending that much money when you have no idea what sound you want. "High quality" is not a sufficient answer.

I disagree strongly.

I have had beats executive when I was younger which was a mistake. My uncle is a DJ and so I occasionally use his speakers when I'm at his house.

I wouldnt listen to only TekSyndicate. He isnt that great when it comes to Audio. But the headphones arent bad that he reccomends. But if you pay 500$ for headphones they wouldnt be. Unless they are Beats

He was looking for speakers in the price range of around 150$.

I posted two videos about speakers in the price range of 50-250$. That's the price range what he was looking for. So, where is the problem?

And the last video was about headsets and headphones from 200 to 1000$. 1000$ for a pair of headphones or a headset isn't really the "bottom-of-the-barrel"...  :huh:

I wouldnt listen to only TekSyndicate. He isnt that great when it comes to Audio. But the headphones arent bad that he reccomends. But if you pay 500$ for headphones they wouldnt be. Unless they are Beats by Geys

He does that series with Tylor from Mayflower Electronics. I think that guy should know what he's talking about.

I know Logan is often talking a bit of nonsense.

I have had beats executive when I was younger which was a mistake. My uncle is a DJ and so I occasionally use his speakers when I'm at his house.

Sure, but what kind of sound signature do you want? I get it that you don't want Beats. Few do. Maybe give us some idea of the kind of music that you listen to regularly?

He was looking for speakers in the price range of around 150$.

I posted two videos about speakers in the price range of 50-250$. That's the price range what he was looking for. So, where is the problem?

And the last video was about headsets and headphones from 200 to 1000$. 1000$ for a pair of headphones or a headset isn't really the "bottom-of-the-barrel"...  :huh:

He does that series with Tylor from Mayflower Electronics. I think that guy should know what he's talking about.

I know Logan is often talking a bit of nonsense.

Those videos are just the opinions of one person, it gets real old seeing them plastered all over the forum. And as I said, I don't think the OP has properly worked out their budget breakdown or even what they want; linking to videos is premature at this stage, not to mention makes this forum a useless echo chamber.

I will try to be helpful here.. Since you said "studio" I will say you are looking for neutral sounding speakers/headphones.

Speakers.  JBL LSR305's. You don't need an amp for these, that that leaves you more money to spend on them. They will suite your speaker needs well enough.

Headphones. Pick your poison.

Closed:

ATH- MSR7, OPPO PM-3, PSB M4U1

Open:

HIFiMan HE-400i, AKG 712, Sennheiser HD600

There are plenty of other options, but these are good choices that are neutral.

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

Sure, but what kind of sound signature do you want? I get it that you don't want Beats. Few do. Maybe give us some idea of the kind of music that you listen to regularly?

Those videos are just the opinions of one person, it gets real old seeing them plastered all over the forum. And as I said, I don't think the OP has properly worked out their budget breakdown or even what they want; linking to videos is premature at this stage, not to mention makes this forum a useless echo chamber.

You're only one person, too.

Those videos contain the opinion of two people, Logan from Tek Syndicate and Tylor from Mayflower Electronics. Especially Tylor should have a lot of experience when it comes to audio equipment, that's why I recommend those videos.

OP shouldn't make a final decision based on those videos, but they can help him make a better decision. He can get a general idea of a lot of products in a tight package. I guess he is intelligent enough to do some research based on the suggestions in the videos.

You're only one person, too.

Those videos contain the opinion of two people, Logan from Tek Syndicate and Tylor from Mayflower Electronics. Especially Tylor should have a lot of experience when it comes to audio equipment, that's why I recommend those videos.

OP shouldn't make a final decision based on those videos, but they can help him make a better decision. He can get a general idea of a lot of products in a tight package. I guess he is intelligent enough to do some research based on the suggestions in the videos.

Yeah, SSL is only one person, but SSL has also done a LOT more research, and compiled his opinion from hundreds of other's opinions. SSL has done a massive amount of research into a lot of the stuff that he uses, so there's that. Also, I've watched all of those videos, and their content is sub-par at best, for the prices that are suggested. There, now you have two people saying that those videos are not very good. That's the same number of people that are in the videos, and one of them (Logan) doesn't even count, since he knows next to nothing about audio.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Yeah, SSL is only one person, but SSL has also done a LOT more research, and compiled his opinion from hundreds of other's opinions. SSL has done a massive amount of research into a lot of the stuff that he uses, so there's that. Also, I've watched all of those videos, and their content is sub-par at best, for the prices that are suggested. There, now you have two people saying that those videos are not very good. That's the same number of people that are in the videos, and one of them (Logan) doesn't even count, since he knows next to nothing about audio.

Yeah, YouTubers need to stop making audio videos.

Linus, Logan, mkbhd, ect.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I simply follow logic...

Tylor works for a well known audio products manufacturer and there are at least a thousand people that liked these videos.

And then there are you and SSL on the other side.

Don't tell me that your opnions are worth more than those of the people that liked the video.

So why should I believe you and not the other people? Who are you that your opinion weighs more than any of the others? Are you some kind of Superman? I don't think so. So stop thinking you're better than any of the other persons around you.

Apart from all that nonsense, all of what you and SSL said is practically irrelevant. Those videos can give OP a general idea of what he can look for. He can research those products and read tons of reviews. There is something called Google...

My first sentece in this thread was: "All of that stuff might help you out". I'm saying that now a third time. Those videos were just there to give a general idea. If you're not able to understand that, then I don't know what you're doing in a forum. If you think that these videos are crap, then tell that OP and not me. He needs to know that. I don't care about it, cause I'm not the one that ends up buying the product. There is a good chance that he is now buying one of the products from the videos because you didn't suggest a better option. Instead you were telling me how terrible it is to post those videos. Yeah... that's very constructive... 

Man... And I thought this would've been only a problem in Germany... >.<

Yeah, YouTubers need to stop making audio videos.

Linus, Logan, mkbhd, ect.

Yes. Unless it's a youtuber that's actually dedicated to audio. 

That being said, I do think that Linus does a pretty good job of his Audio videos. He generally tells the viewer that he doesn't know a whole ton about audio.

Oh, also, He has stated that they probably won't be doing any dedicated audio videos any time soon, since they don't tend to do very well.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

So much tedious thread derailment today!

The bottom line here is that the OP needs to make an informed descision based on their own preferences and experience.

Linking a bunch of videos that "might" help them out will not actually help them. We need to work actively with the OP to assess their needs, then tailor specific suggestions to them.

If the OP were cable of or interested in doing their own google research, they wouldn't have posted here. I've already asked some guiding questions; just waiting for the OP to respond.

Off the top of my head I would get the ATH-2000x, especially if you do competitive gaming like Battlefield 3 or 4.  The spacial awareness and positional accuracy is insane (reportedly, don't have them myself).  The Alpha Dogs are on sale for $500 now, and those have been hyped a ton.  Although I would be perfectly happy with the AKG k701/702, the q701, or the k7xx they sell on Massdrop from time to time for $200.

Speaking of Massdrop, the have the O2+ODAC amp/dac for $200 right now.  I wouldn't want anything else.

For speakers I would go with the M-Audio Studiophile AV 40, but that's only becuase they are endorsed by The Wirecutter http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-computer-speakers/

I simply follow logic...

Tylor works for a well known audio products manufacturer and there are at least a thousand people that liked these videos.

Don't tell me that your opnions are worth more than those of the people that liked the video.

So why should I believe you and not the other people? Who are you that your opinion weighs more than any of the others? Are you some kind of Superman? I don't think so. So stop thinking you're better than any of the other persons around you.

Apart from all that nonsense, all of what you and SSL said is practically irrelevant. Those videos can give OP a general idea of what he can look for. He can research those products and read tons of reviews. There is something called Google...

My first sentece in this thread was: "All of that stuff might help you out". I'm saying that now a third time. Those videos were just there to give a general idea. If you're not able to understand that, then I don't know what you're doing in a forum. If you think that these videos are crap, then tell that OP and not me. He needs to know that. I don't care about it, cause I'm not the one that ends up buying the product. There is a good chance that he is now buying one of the products from the videos because you didn't suggest a better option. Instead you were telling me how terrible it is to post those videos. Yeah... that's very constructive... 

Man... And I thought this would've been only a problem in Germany... >.<

sigh... I never once said that my, or SSL's opinion should matter more than those in the videos. I was simply saying that there are two people in those videos, and there are two people here, who actively, and consistently contribute to this sub forum. That's an equal number of people, and so neither should be mutually exclusive. Tyler may be from mayflower electronics (and yes, they even have an account here), but I feel that for many parts of the videos in which Tyler is featured, he simply goes along with what Logan says, so as to make him look a little bit better. Also, Mayflower electronics is a manufacturer of an open source product that they didn't design, and I personally haven't seen anything new or exciting coming from them at all (This is in contrast to companies, like MrSpeakers, who have gone from modifying T50 headphones to producing their own cans, and JDSLABS, who have begun to make their own amplifiers. If anything, mayflower electronics is good at producing products designed and open sourced by others.) So, in essence, Tyler is a man who can run a company, and who can solder, and insofar as I've seen, very little else. His company has not made anything special/of their own design, and they haven't done anything unique. 

I never said that your opinion should be worth less than my own, only that there are others who spend just about all of their spare time researching audio stuff ... 

It might help the OP out, but it might also misguide the OP into selecting something that is not to their tastes/wants. That's why SSL started out by explaining that OPs budget allocation was somewhat backwards. That's the main reason that the videos you presented are not really relevant; if anything, the headphone budget should be switched around with the speaker budget.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Off the top of my head I would get the ATH-2000x, especially if you do competitive gaming like Battlefield 3 or 4.  The spacial awareness and positional accuracy is insane (reportedly, don't have them myself).  The Alpha Dogs are on sale for $500 now, and those have been hyped a ton.  Although I would be perfectly happy with the AKG k701/702, the q701, or the k7xx they sell on Massdrop from time to time for $200.

Speaking of Massdrop, the have the O2+ODAC amp/dac for $200 right now.  I wouldn't want anything else.

For speakers I would go with the M-Audio Studiophile AV 40, but that's only becuase they are endorsed by The Wirecutter http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-computer-speakers/

You should be more specific about the Audio Technica model that you are talking about. Saying the "ATH-2000X" could be referencing at least two different pairs of headphones. For instance, I own the ATH-A2000X, which is a closed back, titanium and magnesium alloy headphone. I assume that the headphone that you meant to reference were the ATH-AD2000X, which is the open back variant of my headphones. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

sigh... I never once said that my, or SSL's opinion should matter more than those in the videos. I was simply saying that there are two people in those videos, and there are two people here, who actively, and consistently contribute to this sub forum. That's an equal number of people, and so neither should be mutually exclusive. Tyler may be from mayflower electronics (and yes, they even have an account here), but I feel that for many parts of the videos in which Tyler is featured, he simply goes along with what Logan says, so as to make him look a little bit better. Also, Mayflower electronics is a manufacturer of an open source product that they didn't design, and I personally haven't seen anything new or exciting coming from them at all (This is in contrast to companies, like MrSpeakers, who have gone from modifying T50 headphones to producing their own cans, and JDSLABS, who have begun to make their own amplifiers. If anything, mayflower electronics is good at producing products designed and open sourced by others.) So, in essence, Tyler is a man who can run a company, and who can solder, and insofar as I've seen, very little else. His company has not made anything special/of their own design, and they haven't done anything unique. 

I never said that your opinion should be worth less than my own, only that there are others who spend just about all of their spare time researching audio stuff ... 

It might help the OP out, but it might also misguide the OP into selecting something that is not to their tastes/wants. That's why SSL started out by explaining that OPs budget allocation was somewhat backwards. That's the main reason that the videos you presented are not really relevant; if anything, the headphone budget should be switched around with the speaker budget.

Okay, I realize I was wrong. I'm sorry for that.

Still I don't know why you didn't also inform OP directly about it.

Still I don't know why you didn't also inform OP directly about it.

From my end, at least, it's because I figure that the OP should be reading through all of the posts in their own thread, so any posts should be directed at the person that posted something, since the OP will see it anyway. That's my logic for it. 

Otherwise, fair enough :) I'll  *maybe* start directing things at the OP instead,

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I simply follow logic...

lol

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I mainly listen to Rock and electronic (yes I know an odd combo) and i currently listen to most of my music by a 2.1 Cambridge audio system plugged into my PC and when I am out I listen to music on my Apple Earpods

Off the top of my head I would get the ATH-2000x, especially if you do competitive gaming like Battlefield 3 or 4. 

Pls, get the 1000x.  2000x earpads are atrocious, trust me. 1000x sounds almost exactly the same.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

I mainly listen to Rock and electronic (yes I know an odd combo) and i currently listen to most of my music by a 2.1 Cambridge audio system plugged into my PC and when I am out I listen to music on my Apple Earpods

Good. So these will be headphones for home listening only? Do you need isolation from noise?