25" 1440p vs 29" Ultrawide 1080p

Hi.

I am currently running a dual monitor setup with an old 20" 1680x1050 display and a 22" FHD, both TN panels, and I want to replace the 20" with something new. I am a student and computer programmer so I work with a lot of code, documents and spreadsheets. I watch movies on my computer, but I don't care about gaming.

My budget is roughly $350. After a lot of research, I have ended up with basically two options:

- 25" 1440p 16:9 display - should give me more screen real estate and a slightly higher ppi without the need for scaling (I'm making all comparisons against my 22" FHD)

(Dell U2515H or something similar)

- 29" 1080p 21:9 display - this ultrawide option will give me a lot more horizontal space but won't improve vertical space and the ppi will actually be a bit lower

(LG 29UM67-P or something similar)

I think I should be able to comfortably place 3 text files next to each other on the ultrawide panel. That is something very useful for me. But I am afraid that the 1080p resolution won't be enough on this display size, especially when talking about vertical space. However, if I were to say that I don't have enough vertical space, the 25" 16:9 doesn't really solve the problem either.

To complicate this a bit more, I plan on upgrading my other monitor in a few months when I move and get a much bigger desk. This means that I could potentially place a monitor vertically next to my ultrawide and have the best of both worlds.

So, if you are a programmer or work with docs or spreadsheets and have experience with these kinds of displays, I would appreciate your feedback. What do you and what don't you like about them? Or would you recommend something else for me?

Thanks a lot :)

From what I heard from reviewers like Linus ultrawide 1080p can be hard to be productive with due to the low DPI.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

1440p ism panel u2515h I own it and don't regret buying it. A 1080p ultrawide would look terrible when streching the pixels over 29"

why not 27" 1440p?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

ultrawide 1080p is 2560x1080. So you loose a lot of vertical pixels compared to 1440p for no gain. At 29" it will also look extremely grainy. definitely 1440p, 27" if possible.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1440p ism panel u2515h I own it and don't regret buying it. A 1080p ultrawide would look terrible when streching the pixels over 29"

How?

A 29" ultrawide 1080p has the same pixel density as a 23" normal 180p monitor.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

If we consider a 27" 1440p 16:9 panel instead of a 25" for comparison, the PPI difference against my current 22" 1080p is 8PPI higher for the 1440p and 5PPI lower for the ultrawide.

I don't think that's too much of a difference, or is it?

From what I heard from reviewers like Linus ultrawide 1080p can be hard to be productive with due to the low DPI.

I realise that buying the 29" ultrawide is basically extending a 23" 1080p 16:9 by 33% horizontally. Only one 1080p monitor is definitely not enough, but I will still have my 22" 1080p next to whatever monitor I decide to buy. Most articles I read simply compare ultrawide panels with dual monitor setups, but that is not at all my case.

If we consider a 27" 1440p 16:9 panel instead of a 25" for comparison, the PPI difference against my current 22" 1080p is 8PPI higher for the 1440p and 5PPI lower for the ultrawide.

I don't think that's too much of a difference, or is it?

I realise that buying the 29" ultrawide is basically extending a 23" 1080p 16:9 by 33% horizontally. Only one 1080p monitor is definitely not enough, but I will still have my 22" 1080p next to whatever monitor I decide to buy. Most articles I read simply compare ultrawide panels with dual monitor setups, but that is not at all my case.

The bigger the screen the less PPI you need. 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I have two 29' Ultrawides from LG that are 2560x1080. They are great. Not sure why people think they are grainy.. or why they think it will stretch terribly. That's a bunch of bull. Maybe the 34' models with that resolution but not the 29'. These monitors are great and I think they are pretty productive without having to have two monitors although I do have two and have quite a bit of space. I can easily multi-task. I work from home sometimes and I am still in college. It is nice having four separate windows across both monitors instead of flipping back and forth. Even when I had one monitor I found it useful. I got the second one on sale for too good of a price to say no to. Although I don't think you can wrong either way. If you want to try something new I would go with the Ultrawide. I can say from now on I will only buy ultrawides.

My Gaming Rig (Build November 2014):

CPU: i7-4790K | CPU Cooler: H110 | Motherboard: MSI Z97s SLI Plus | RAM: Vengeance DDR3 1886 MHz 2 x 4GB |
GPU: GTX 970 G1 Gaming | SSD: 2 x 840 EVO 250GB and 2 x 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | PSU: HX750 | Case: Fractal Design XL R2 |

I'm doing programming more often in my home PC nowadays, so I think I can say some suggestion for you.

Going from dual 1920x1080 to 3440x1440 screen, I simply can't recommend any monitor with anything less than 1440 vertical pixels.

That extra 360 pixels is just that worth it from productivity standpoint.

At the same time, not having any bezels is extremely beneficial because I can put something in the middle of the screen.

If I didn't have the budget for 3440x1440, I would've gone with dual 2560x1440 display over the 2560x1080 options.

I have two 29' Ultrawides from LG that are 2560x1080. They are great. Not sure why people think they are grainy.. or why they think it will stretch terribly. That's a bunch of bull. Maybe the 34' models with that resolution but not the 29'. These monitors are great and I think they are pretty productive without having to have two monitors although I do have two and have quite a bit of space. I can easily multi-task. I work from home sometimes and I am still in college. It is nice having four separate windows across both monitors instead of flipping back and forth. Even when I had one monitor I found it useful. I got the second one on sale for too good of a price to say no to. Although I don't think you can wrong either way. If you want to try something new I would go with the Ultrawide. I can say from now on I will only buy ultrawides.

Yeah I love my 29 incher.

Year idk what they are saying, the have the same pixel density as a 23" monitor

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Thank you for you suggestions guys. I decided to go for the 1440p display because of the vertical space. I found a 27" for only a bit more money and now there is a Benq GW2765HT sitting on my desk. I've been using it for 8 hours and I like it - there is just so much more space now, I can focus most of my work on one monitor.

I actually went to take a look at an ultrawide monitor to a store and when I saw how short it was (both actual vertical size and pixels), I knew I had to go with the 1440p 16:9. I might buy an ultrawide later, but if I do, it will be 3440x1440 resolution.

• 2 weeks later...

hello guys i was one of the chosen in the ultrawide carboard setup
look up at my video in Eduardo Castillo
Please Vote for me if you like in the ultrawide event
http://www.ultrawide...vent.html#:none remember eduardo castillo    :D, that would be such a huge help
i also could be like the represent for vote for turnip in this linus tech tips contest right? hahaha   :P 
Anyways guys i'm looking foward for the ticket to vancouver because if i win i imagine that i would make me able to meet the linustech crew and also the new company cause its in canada, i know i'm new at the forum but i've been following linus tech tips for a while i think like 4 years now and i have seeing the transformation with the old office and the new one so going to that would be really like a dream, to finally meet the crew and the office (finally like a real company! haha) and sorry for my bad english also that travel will be a huge improvement in my english skills too   :lol: 
and if you leave a comment on our channel lg wil randomly select comments and those will be given an ultrawidefestival t-shirts or hoddies 
so anyways really really thank you if you vote for me   ;)   :D