F@H using cpu on 2 nivida cards

Go to solution Solved by jmrios,

Nvidia GPU uses  a lot of CPU resources with beta WU's (core 17). If I stop my CPU folding leaving only my GPUs folding, I get about 30% of usage on my i7 3770k, keep in mind that I have 8 threads. If I had a less threaded CPU, my CPU usage should be like yours. So, i consider it normal. 

hi  i may be wrong but i am led to belive that F@H dose not use the CPU when just folding on the GPU my CPU id being use by the fah core-17 its using 79% ,one is at 39 and the other is at 40% , is this right ? 

CPU 5820K @ 4.5Ghz 1.295V,Motherboard Asus X99-S, RAM 16Gb TeamGroup Elite GPU Msi Gtx 780, Case Fractal Design Define R5 , Storage Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 , Samsung 840evo 250Gb, Wd Green 1TB, PSU EVGA 850w G2 ,Cooling Fully Custom Water Cooling Loop Sound Stealseries Wireless H

hi  i may be wrong but i am led to belive that F@H dose not use the CPU when just folding on the GPU my CPU id being use by the fah core-17 its using 79% ,one is at 39 and the other is at 40% , is this right ? 

Gpu tasks goes faster then cpu tasks. If it is on full then both are working.

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

even know ive remove the CPU from folding ?

CPU 5820K @ 4.5Ghz 1.295V,Motherboard Asus X99-S, RAM 16Gb TeamGroup Elite GPU Msi Gtx 780, Case Fractal Design Define R5 , Storage Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 , Samsung 840evo 250Gb, Wd Green 1TB, PSU EVGA 850w G2 ,Cooling Fully Custom Water Cooling Loop Sound Stealseries Wireless H

If you've removed the CPU slot from the client then it shouldn't fold at all, only the GPU's if you leave it on idle or pin it to full usage.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

No the cpu is not folding but it seems to still being use when the GPU are folding ?

post-4772-0-68015100-1376833154.png

This is a screen shot of cpu usage 

No the cpu is not folding but it seems to still being use when the GPU are folding ?

attachicon.gifCPU Usige.png

This is a screen shot of cpu usage 

Wow estimated credit 2,000 yet the ETA is 10 days, screw that and also I don't know but just because the CPU isn't folding doesn't mean that the F@H client isn't using the CPU.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Nvidia GPU uses  a lot of CPU resources with beta WU's (core 17). If I stop my CPU folding leaving only my GPUs folding, I get about 30% of usage on my i7 3770k, keep in mind that I have 8 threads. If I had a less threaded CPU, my CPU usage should be like yours. So, i consider it normal. 

Intel i7 3770K 4.2 Ghz / Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Sabertooth Z77 - 2x4 GB Patriot Viper 2133 Mhz
60 GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe - 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 - 500 GB WD Caviar Blue
EVGA GTX 780 SLI -Corsair HX 1000W - Lian Li T60

right ok that's fine thanks for clearing that up for me 

post-4772-0-22112800-1376838420.png

To clarify:

GPU folding does use some CPU resources. This is Core AND project specific. Generally this has worked as:

Core16 and Core16 - For AMD cards they need a lot of CPU resource. Typically leave one core free per GPU. For NVidia, minimal CPU resources. Maybe leave one core free for all GPU.

Core17 - Beta core specifically designed to test AMD and OpenCL - AMD and NVidia now pretty much on par. Typically leave just one CPU core free.

Now - there is no way to only get 17's and not 15 and 16's.... so, I always leave one core free on my NVidia GPU folder and two on my AMD folder, even though it has 4 GPU's - a trade off depending on what Core I get.

Also - some specific projects within a Core put more or less load on the CPU as well.

In the end, this is a very tricky balancing game. If you do test various combo's, remember to let the system run for 24 hours after each change so you can get an accurate PPD level.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Wow estimated credit 2,000 yet the ETA is 10 days, screw that and also I don't know but just because the CPU isn't folding doesn't mean that the F@H client isn't using the CPU.

That was a 780 and also note - it was only at 0% or like .1% - no way to get accurate PPD yet....

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

That was a 780 and also note - it was only at 0% or like .1% - no way to get accurate PPD yet....

Ahh makes sense

are ok thanks for the input @Whaler_99