Virus's

chimmychunger

Ok so i was just wondering how do you battle viruses on your pc

I'm just asking coz i think i may have a virus and want to know how to fight back

:Q

Antivirus software?

There's not much else unless you mean physically going and deleting files and messing with the registry

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Antivirus software?

There's not much else unless you mean physically going and deleting files and messing with the registry

ye but witch software :P

ye but witch software :P

Well, if you think you have a virus go for a quick Malwarebytes scan, it's usually spot on.

The antivirus software with the best reviews for the past 3 years is bitdefender, which is what I currently use... Kaspersky is also good, but Microsoft Security Essentials is pretty amazing too. Especially for a free antivirus

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

I personally use avast, superantispyware and malwarebytes, they work great together and are all free. 

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

i use my grandpa's service pistol

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Throw computer out of the window (with luck gonna kill someone with lot of cash in the wallet) and buy a new one.

Apart from that Antivirus, firewall and some rootkit/spyware scanner.

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

Kaspersky is the best IMO for paid software, but the best free ones are stated above by Volbet. I personally use Norton 360 Premium, since I have to manage ALL of my family's computers, even those of which who live many miles away.

Please take caution of where you go and what you click on in the future, as a little bit of thinking and common sense will steer you away from any viruses.

I'm just asking coz i think i may have a virus and want to know how to fight back

:Q

U should be safer on the internet :P

I personally use Norton, works perfect. Norton and Bitdefender I have tried and I like both so u should try them.

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

A good antivirus is just one step to prevent virus. Other things to do are

* make sure that all your program are up to date, not only windows. Most virus use adobe flash, reader and java today

* be carefull of what you click on

* disable autoruns for external devices

* use a hardwarebased firewall

* change to a better dnsserver like opendns

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing

I backup, wipe, and reinstall everything. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I use Avast on everything, my desktop, my laptop and my phone, works perfectly fine. Haven't had a virus in at least 2 years now.

EDIT also don't just install an anti virus and forget about, scan your pc regularly.

As mentioned... once infected by a virus, your system is screwed. An antivirus will remove the virus and stop further damage, but any damaged done, and system file replaced/modified can't be fixed.

You can try System Restore, is the Virus didn't break that, to take your system back in time before the infection. But beside that, you have to backup your stuff, format, and re-install. Just virus scan your system before you backup your stuff, because the last thing you want to do is: Backup the virus... that wont' help you :)

Use any anti-virus: Microsoft Security Essential (Windows 8 has it built-in), AVG, Avast, and if you want to go paying: Kaspesky, Norton,, McAfee, among many others, to remove the infection. Scan all USB flash drive or external HDD that you plugged recently to your system, as some viruses propagate this way.

And next time:

-> If a picture, document, music, video, some file request Administrative privileges, you know that something is wrong. Why would a picture need to modify system files? Is the first Red alert that is suppose to ring that this is indeed a virus.

-> Be smart on what you download. Download stuff from trusted sites only.

-> I don't care if you do it or not, I'll speak to everyone -> Don't pirate stuff. You have great services like Netflix for movies, and for music, you have XBox Music (Free: unlimited streaming + ads for Windows 8 users. Paid (10$ per month or 100$ per year) : unlimited music streaming + unlimited music download (playable on all Microsoft devices and coming soon: Android and iOS via apps) + no ads + use Zune desktop software for Windows XP and up support  + web access (http://music.xbox.com/) including web access to all songs that you downloaded from XBox Music service), don't like it? You have much like Netflix, other services, like Hulu, Spotify, and others. For software, buy the software or find free alternatives.

As mentioned... once infected by a virus, your system is screwed. An antivirus will remove the virus and stop further damage, but any damaged done, and system file replaced/modified can't be fixed.

You can try System Restore, is the Virus didn't break that, to take your system back in time before the infection. But beside that, you have to backup your stuff, format, and re-install. Just virus scan your system before you backup your stuff, because the last thing you want to do is: Backup the virus... that wont' help you :)

Use any anti-virus: Microsoft Security Essential (Windows 8 has it built-in), AVG, Avast, and if you want to go paying: Kaspesky, Norton,, McAfee, among many others, to remove the infection. Scan all USB flash drive or external HDD that you plugged recently to your system, as some viruses propagate this way.

And next time:

-> If a picture, document, music, video, some file request Administrative privileges, you know that something is wrong. Why would a picture need to modify system files? Is the first Red alert that is suppose to ring that this is indeed a virus.

-> Be smart on what you download. Download stuff from trusted sites only.

-> I don't care if you do it or not, I'll speak to everyone -> Don't pirate stuff. You have great services like Netflix for movies, and for music, you have XBox Music (Free: unlimited streaming + ads for Windows 8 users. Paid (10$ per month or 100$ per year) : unlimited music streaming + unlimited music download (playable on all Microsoft devices and coming soon: Android and iOS via apps) + no ads + use Zune desktop software for Windows XP and up support  + web access (http://music.xbox.com/) including web access to all songs that you downloaded from XBox Music service), don't like it? You have much like Netflix, other services, like Hulu, Spotify, and others. For software, buy the software or find free alternatives.

Ok thanks so basically if i only download off of trusted things (steam, itunes etc) i should be fine and run i virus scan every day

Ok thanks so basically if i only download off of trusted things (steam, itunes etc) i should be fine and run i virus scan every day

That's pretty much a good practice. Having the anti-virus software installed, and performing regular scans, will help protect you from when legitimate websites are infected and compromised. This is something that a LOT of "tech savvy" users skip or discredit, even on this forum. I hear all the time people saying "common sense is all you need"...

WRONG! Common sense won't help you if theverge is infected by a virus, or if a network aware virus gets onto your LAN. Sure it doesn't happen often, but it only needs to happen once to ruin your day.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

HiJackThis is a good one for removing a hard virus

THE PIT VIPER SPECS

4790k @ 4.7ghz  (EVGA CLC 360MM) | 32GB Patriot Viper Extreme @2133 mhz | Asus Z97-DELUXE Cooler Master H500M.| EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3

Battling viruses when you have one is not easy and prevention is the best cure tbh.

If you really know what you are doing, you can just disable it using command prompt.

Battling viruses when you have one is not easy and prevention is the best cure tbh.

If you really know what you are doing, you can just disable it using command prompt.

That will not work for every type of virus. The more complex our Operating Systems get, the more complex viruses are written as well.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)