[Review] Audio Technica AT2020-USB Cardioid Condenser Microphone

SjBkVsy.png

As you can tell from the header above, this is a review of the AT2020USB, by Audio Technica. The AT2020USB is a take on Audio Technica's already popular AT2020. The most notable, and indeed, only change, is that instead of using an XLR connector, they are now using a Type A to Type B USB Cable. The microphone has a blue LED in the middle, which really stands out against the black. This is a microphone, in my opinion, for the gamer who wants good quality microphone quality, or the OCD person who wants everything to match his setup (like me)

But don't take this for your average USB microphone. This is a cardioid condenser microphone. For those who don't know what cardioid is, it's a polar pickup pattern for the microphone, where the condenser only picks up sound from the front. Speaking of condenser, you must use a pop filter with this, or you'll get nasty plosives! A shockmount is also recommended.

The finish of the microphone is a matt black with lovely shiny black speckles dotted all over it. Here is a picture;

350-AT2020USB_detail14.jpg

As you can see, the microphone has a quite a small form factor, so certain shockmounts could swarm it. The AT2020USB is packaged in Audio Technica's usual quality, and even comes with a leather carry case. They also give you a basic tripod stand to get started.

This microphone then, is great for the podcaster, the gamer, the YouTuber. Just about anyone. I personally have mine mounted with a ISK-SMP1 Shockmount and Pop Filter combo, on a Rode PSA-1. Whilst the ISK does work, it was a very tight squeeze to fit the AT2020USB into it, and has sadly scratched the back of my microphone a bit. I recommend you get a screw in shockmount instead of a clamp one.

I finally leave you with 5 Linus Heads. I can't find anything wrong with it, it's not like it's competitor at Blue, the Yeti, with lots of buttons to fiddle with. It's just plug in and go. And that is the beauty - the simplicity. Almost as simple as the AK-47.

Thank you for reading. There is an attached audio sample below. Please note my setup is using a boom stand, shockmount and pop filter. Please also note I had a slightly sore throat at this time. I recommend for those of you with louder computers to run this through Audacity and remove noise. I also recommend you record with this quietly than you would plan too, and again, run it through Audacity, this time using the Dynamic Range Compressor.

monstermanaudiotest.mp3

Gaming and Editing: Intel Core i7-4930k 4.6Ghz 6-Core Processor - EK Supremacy CSQ CPU WaterblockASUS P9X79 ATX Motherboard - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (8x4GB) 1866 Memory - EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black 1200Mhz 6GB W/ EK FC780 Ti Nickel Waterblock Graphics Card  - Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive x3 - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD x2 - Fractal Design Define R4 Window Modded - BitFenix Spectre Pro Blue LED 140mm Fan x1 - BitFenix Spectre PWM LED 120mm Fan x4 - Corsair HX850 80 Plus Gold Modular Power SupplyMicrosoft Windows 8 64-bit Operating System

Excellent review! 

Interested in the analog version now. Wondering if the old one comes with a proper XLR to 1/4 cable or just a damned mini plug. Need a new mic :unsure:

Excellent review! 

Interested in the analog version now. Wondering if the old one comes with a proper XLR to 1/4 cable or just a damned mini plug. Need a new mic :unsure:

They still produce the AT2020. As far as I'm aware, they don't supply any Phantom Power cables. You can probably buy a bundle on eBay or the such like.

Gaming and Editing: Intel Core i7-4930k 4.6Ghz 6-Core Processor - EK Supremacy CSQ CPU WaterblockASUS P9X79 ATX Motherboard - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (8x4GB) 1866 Memory - EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black 1200Mhz 6GB W/ EK FC780 Ti Nickel Waterblock Graphics Card  - Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive x3 - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD x2 - Fractal Design Define R4 Window Modded - BitFenix Spectre Pro Blue LED 140mm Fan x1 - BitFenix Spectre PWM LED 120mm Fan x4 - Corsair HX850 80 Plus Gold Modular Power SupplyMicrosoft Windows 8 64-bit Operating System