Youtubers (the carnie folk of our time) discuss youtube red

Sammael

Ok guys, I'm pretty sure we are ALL eagerly waiting to hear what Linus has to say about youtube red, but that won't come until tomorrow so I went and found some videos of some random youtubers discussing their fears and concerns.

A lot of unknowns, exactly how much does linus make on average per viewer off youtube ads (excluding their inline ads) ?  More for holidays I'm sure, what's the spread throughout the year?  We will probably never know, but it would be super interesting.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

A lot of unknowns, exactly how much does linus make on average per viewer off youtube ads (excluding their inline ads) ?  More for holidays I'm sure, what's the spread throughout the year?  We will probably never know, but it would be super interesting.

YouTubers are not allowed to disclose earnings made from Adsense, you have to sign an NDA

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Probably one of the few informed opinions on the matter. https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/youtube-red

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I think overall its a positive step forward for youtube, its not perfect, but things can be tweaked going forwards

Hopefully it should mean better earnings for channels, easier ways to support your favourite channels (watch them more, they earn more money), and an overall nicer viewing experience without annoying adverts every 15 seconds (hell this morning I was shown the same advert on every video,.. fuck me thats worth $10 right there)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I think overall its a positive step forward for youtube, its not perfect, but things can be tweaked going forwards Hopefully it should mean better earnings for channels, easier ways to support your favourite channels (watch them more, they earn more money), and an overall nicer viewing experience without annoying adverts every 15 seconds (hell this morning I was shown the same advert on every video,.. fuck me thats worth $10 right there)

The thing that bothers me is I don't like the idea of having to pay so I'm not be forced to watch adverts... On TV I can turn over, then turn back to the channel of interest but you can't do that on youtube because it just replays and the 30 second ads are the worst.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

The thing that bothers me is I don't like the idea of having to pay so I'm not be forced to watch adverts... On TV I can turn over, then turn back to the channel of interest but you can't do that on youtube because it just replays and the 30 second ads are the worst.

Then dont pay, its optional, nobody is being forced 

But YouTube is free, so there has to be SOME sort of payment from you, either you watch adverts, or you pay money, you have to support it somehow, and its your choice how

Redtu.... youtube red i dont really care. I watch ltt always mobile so everyone else with ad blockerino :D 

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

Then dont pay, its optional, nobody is being forced 

But YouTube is free, so there has to be SOME sort of payment from you, either you watch adverts, or you pay money, you have to support it somehow, and its your choice how

If you think YouTube isn't going to implement some form of blocking AdBlock function while everyone is paying $10 to not have ads then I think you need to rethink the being forced aspect. I don't watch TV ads either cos i swap channel or walk off, can't do that with youtube like said.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Probably one of the few informed opinions on the matter. https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/youtube-red

This was by FAR the best and most insightful commentary so far.

I'm one of the "whales" as totalbisquit calls them.  I use adblocker, so no money from ads is generated by me, but I pay for google music, so when I use youtube now that sub money will be portioned out to people directly, and it seems far more money will be generated from me than the freebie ad only people.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

If you think YouTube isn't going to implement some form of blocking AdBlock function while everyone is paying $10 to not have ads then I think you need to rethink the being forced aspect. I don't watch TV ads either cos i swap channel or walk off, can't do that with youtube like said.

If google/youtube wanted to block ads it would of been banned from the chrome addon "store" long ago. 

If you think "everyone" is going to be buying into this $10 a month thing you are mistaken. There is nearly no incentive to do it, you can already get an ad free youtube, the exclusive content isnt a big sell, and if google bans adblock people will A) find another way to install it B.) move to opera or firefox. 

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

You can walk off, and go make a cup of tea, or look away, you can also mute them, and MOST you can skip, also sometime refreshing the page stops the advert appearing

I am not talking about adblock (something I do not support anyway, though I do understand)

. YouTube is still letting viewers watch all videos using the free platform with ads, nothing will change for the none paying users under the YouTube Red scheme

All it does is mean paying users have a nicer time, and content creators get more money

This was by FAR the best and most insightful commentary so far.

Seriously everything ive seen thus far (haven't seen the above videos) has been a knee jerk reaction. TB is an intelligent man and he hit the nail on the head in that podcast..thingy

System Specs

You can walk off, and go make a cup of tea, or look away, you can also mute them, and MOST you can skip, also sometime refreshing the page stops the advert appearing

I am not talking about adblock (something I do not support anyway, though I do understand)

. YouTube is still letting viewers watch all videos using the free platform with ads, nothing will change for the none paying users under the YouTube Red scheme

All it does is mean paying users have a nicer time, and content creators get more money

Sure.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

If google/youtube wanted to block ads it would of been banned from the chrome addon "store" long ago. 

If you think "everyone" is going to be buying into this $10 a month thing you are mistaken. There is nearly no incentive to do it, you can already get an ad free youtube, the exclusive content isnt a big sell, and if google bans adblock people will A) find another way to install it B.) move to opera or firefox. 

If I enable adblock then go to say ITV player or 4OD I can't watch the content because they've blocked adblock, Youtube will do the same.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Sure.

Surely YouTube would have been MORE interested in blocking ads when ad revenue was their only income source

Now they have red, adverts are LESS important to their money making, so they have less reason to stop adblock

Plus they want free users to visit, and enjoy YouTube in the hope they pay money for the service, YouTube is too big, and too relied on by everyone to destroy themselves forcing paid stuff

but they do have to start making money, they cant just keep YouTube going with no profit being made, and Content creators cannot go on forever if they do not have a source of income

If I enable adblock then go to say ITV player or 4OD I can't watch the content because they've blocked adblock, Youtube will do the same.

Only furthering my point that google would block this shit if they wanted too.

Heres the thing blocking ads/ and preventing people using adblock from watching your content is an arms race, just like anti virus security

Im not gonna pretend to know the sites you mentioned, cause I dont. But based on that fact im going to say that they are pretty minor sites for video consumption, especially when compared to youtube.

If google wants to block ads they will, and then adblock addons will find a way to circumvent that, then google will block that, then it will be circumvented.

$10 a month, or watch ads, its all the same to youtube (id be willing to bet they would get more from ads as a matter of fact if everyone couldnt use adblock) They simply want money for their service, and if they wanted to block adblock they would have done it YEARS ago and only the most tech savvy of users would probably be able to circumvent it.

Mark my words adblock on youtube is not going anywhere anytime soon.

To further my point even hulu who doesnt work with adblock, can have ads removed if you are determined enough too.

System Specs

Not sure I will sign up for this, but I would like to hear more about it and how much actually goes to the content creators before breaking out the torch and pitchfork. 

Not sure I will sign up for this, but I would like to hear more about it and how much actually goes to the content creators before breaking out the torch and pitchfork. 

It should be more, the good thing about it is, that the amount the creator gets is directly related to how long people watch their stuff, so the more you watch, the more they earn, and it should be a bit more consistent vs ads and ad revenue will still happen too

Don't feel like paying for another service. I hope it fails.