Gigabyte G1R9 390 issue?

Nasty
Go to solution Solved by Curufinwe_wins,

Don't get Gigabyte's 390s, they have locked voltages and annoying BIOS issues. When getting a 390, stay away from Gigabyte and Asus.

In fact, don't get any 300 series Gigabyte card. Each and every one of them has massively disproportionate issues being reported.

MSI and Sapphire (with XFX and Powercolor being contenders) are really the brands to stick with this series from AMD.

So, I've already asked members of LTT if I should get a 970 or 390. I am looking more into getting a 390 because of the 3.5 VRam issue as well as it is more p/p. So I decided to look at getting a R9 390, although I am seeing many bad reviews about how it will not shutdown. Is this issue fixed, and if it is not.. Should I consider not getting one...

CPU: I5-7600k(5.1GHz)                                                       RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED(2x8GB @ 3200MHz/CAS-15)              Case: Cooler Master HAF 912

Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO                                                      Storage: 850 EVO 250GB - 2x(1TB WD Blue(Raid 0))                                   PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W B2

Mobo: ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO                                       GPU: G1 GTX 970                                                                                                  OS: Windows 10

So, I've already asked members of LTT if I should get a 970 or 390. I am looking more into getting a 390 because of the 3.5 VRam issue as well as it is more p/p. So I decided to look at getting a R9 390, although I am seeing many bad reviews about how it will not shutdown. Is this issue fixed, and if it is not.. Should I consider not getting one...

I have never heard of that issue. Probably faulty cards. Get the R9 390 and try it out. If you don't like it or have problems, simply return it and get the 970. The R9 390 is good for 1440p! Go for MSI or Sapphire

Don't get Gigabyte's 390s, they have locked voltages and annoying BIOS issues. When getting a 390, stay away from Gigabyte and Asus.

In fact, don't get any 300 series Gigabyte card. Each and every one of them has massively disproportionate issues being reported.

MSI and Sapphire (with XFX and Powercolor being contenders) are really the brands to stick with this series from AMD.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I have never heard of that issue. Probably faulty cards. Get the R9 390 and try it out. If you don't like it or have problems, simply return it and get the 970. The R9 390 is good for 1440p! Go for MSI or Sapphire

Ok, thankyou for that input Random. Also reaper, I didn't actually see the Sapphire Nitro w/ Backplate, now I do. I think I will go with that, is that a good one? * I have never purchased/used a Sapphire card, are they a good brand?*

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202164&cm_re=r9_390-_-14-202-164-_-Product

CPU: I5-7600k(5.1GHz)                                                       RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED(2x8GB @ 3200MHz/CAS-15)              Case: Cooler Master HAF 912

Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO                                                      Storage: 850 EVO 250GB - 2x(1TB WD Blue(Raid 0))                                   PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W B2

Mobo: ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO                                       GPU: G1 GTX 970                                                                                                  OS: Windows 10

Ok, thankyou for that input Random. Also reaper, I didn't actually see the Sapphire Nitro w/ Backplate, now I do. I think I will go with that, is that a good one? * I have never purchased/used a Sapphire card, are they a good brand?*

Sapphire AMD cards are almost always the best or 2nd best cards on the market.

This generation they run the coolest in general (of the air cooled versions), but preform a bit worse on average after overclocking than the MSI cards.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Ok... I do want to do a bit of overclocking... Although the Sapphire has more fans, If I were to overclock on an MSI card, wouldn't I get higher temps on the MSI card than the Sapphire card? Anyway, If I were to overclock at all which card should I choose?

Ok... I do want to do a bit of overclocking... Although the Sapphire has more fans, If I were to overclock on an MSI card, wouldn't I get higher temps on the MSI card than the Sapphire card? Anyway, If I were to overclock at all which card should I choose?

The MSI cards have consistently been the best overclockers available. Yes they run a bit hotter than Sapphire cards, but assuming you have some ok air flow in your case (which you will need no matter what 390 you choose) it won't matter one bit.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202164&cm_re=r9_390-_-14-202-164-_-Product

I have an R9 270 of theirs. looks decent and felt solid. I haven't tried customer service on them. Overall I think they are great, with no complaints

The MSI cards have consistently been the best overclockers available. Yes they run a bit hotter than Sapphire cards, but assuming you have some ok air flow in your case (which you will need no matter what 390 you choose) it won't matter one bit.

Thankyou, I will go with the Sapphire Card then, because of aesthics(I know spelled wrong) but anway, thanks for the input, it really helped out, If you have time, one more question as well, although this isn't the right area... I want to put 4 more fans into my HAF 912 case, 2 currently, Is there a way I can connect them all easily to the PSU? I've seen fan hubs, and stuff but what would you suggest?

Thankyou, I will go with the Sapphire Card then, because of aesthics(I know spelled wrong) but anway, thanks for the input, it really helped out, If you have time, one more question as well, although this isn't the right area... I want to put 4 more fans into my HAF 912 case, 2 currently, Is there a way I can connect them all easily to the PSU? I've seen fan hubs, and stuff but what would you suggest?

http://www.moddiy.com/products/SATA-15%252dpin-to-4x-PWM-4%252dPin-or-3%252dPin-Sleeved-Cable-Adapter-(30cm).html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwkqKxBRCIrK_riNm13Z8BEiQAdzdVkMcbFzpvyKwcKeRRiKtBqGxwVjdy3RNe1AKOdtNPxAMaAug68P8HAQ

Stuff like this, but I'd recommend using your motherboards fan headers.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS