MSI GTX 970 PCIE plugs

Ultimate Assassin

So the MSI GTX 970 has an 8 and 6 pin connector. When i plugged both 6 and 8 pins in, my computer starts beeping and it displays B2 on the bottom right of the screen. So i just plug in the 6 pin on the 6 pin side and the 2 pin on the 8 pin side and everything works great besides the led on the gpu and the hdmi. I end up having to plug in the hdmi on the motherboard to show up on the screen. 

Questions:

1. Do I need to plug both 8 and 6 pins in?

2. If so, do I need to use the adapter that came with the gpu?

3. Why dont I get video capability from my gpu, do i need the other remaining 6 pins?

4. what do I do to solve the B2 showing on the bottom left of my screen? (note that I alredy tried to clear cmos on motherboard)

5 Should i not plug in the 6 pin and only the 8 pin?

Im confused. plz internet hlp me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How much watt is your psu?

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

you need both the 8 and 6 pin 

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

yes it needs both 6 and 8 pins

make 100% sure that that is a PCIe 8 pin not a CPU EPS 8 pin

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

yes it needs both 6 and 8 pins

make 100% sure that that is a PCIe 8 pin not a CPU EPS 8 pin

i did. still not working

i did. still not working

Maybe it has to do with the 12V rails on cables...

CPU - i5-8400 , Motherboard - ASROCK Z370 Killer SLI, RAM - 2x8 GB DDR4 2400mhz , GPU - EVGA GTX 950 SC, Case - SilentiumPC PAX M70 Pure Black V2 Storage - 240GB SanDisk SSD, 1TB WD Blue, PSU - bequite! 600w Pure Power 10, Display - Dell P2417H, Cooling - bequiet! Pure Rock, Keyboard - Viper V730, Mouse - natec Genesis G55, Sound - Philips MCD712, OS - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

what is your PSU model?

CPU - i5-8400 , Motherboard - ASROCK Z370 Killer SLI, RAM - 2x8 GB DDR4 2400mhz , GPU - EVGA GTX 950 SC, Case - SilentiumPC PAX M70 Pure Black V2 Storage - 240GB SanDisk SSD, 1TB WD Blue, PSU - bequite! 600w Pure Power 10, Display - Dell P2417H, Cooling - bequiet! Pure Rock, Keyboard - Viper V730, Mouse - natec Genesis G55, Sound - Philips MCD712, OS - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

what is your PSU model?

Sentey 850w modular psu. It doesn't have an official name but u will find it if u type that in