Surface Book Reviews are out

GoodBytes

The Surface Book new Microsoft convertible laptop with it's unique hinge system that caught people eyes, and build intriguing with its custom Nvidia dedicated GPU which we know nothing about for a long time, as Microsoft kept it under wraps beside the fact that it has 1GB GDDR5, and some 'leak' information from people that were able to run GPU-Z on Surface Book at the Microsoft Store and took a picture of it.

But as expected, if you think this will be your next gaming laptop, you are dreaming. The system is too thin sport a powerful gaming GPU, and the 1GB of memory on the GPU won't pull miracles. Not to mention that the GPU is on PCI-E 4x 3.0 due to the screen detach mount system, as the CPU is inside the screen, allowing you to pull the screen out and use it as a clipboard style tablet.

Also, as I have always said, if you don't care about the pen, then the Surface line is not for you. You can find better and cheaper with other ultrabooks or 2 in 1 systems if you are looking at the Surface Pro line.

That put aside, now reviews are out.

The GPU is a GTX 940M but instead of sporting a 2GB DDR3 dedicated memory, the memory system was changed to take GDDR5 memory, bringing it down to 1GB. So basically, the GPU exchanged memory quantity for a good increase in memory speed.

SurfaceBook_table.PNG

GPU specs form GPU-Z:

SBGPU_575px.png

GPU under the keyboard:

IMG_6076.JPG

Based on reviews the device is fine, solid quality as to be expected. Like most reviews, the pen is simply ignored, because reviewers don't understand the pen (Nothing new here). There has been reports that the screen wobbles a bit on the device, probably due to that it is detachable. More on the device later

So how is performance? Well it lacks game benchmarks, and but this is what there is:

Performance:

78056.png

78055.png

78054.png

78060.png

78057.png

78061.png

78058.png

78059.png

Review-chart-template-final-full-width-3

Keyboard/Trackpad

The trackpad features 5-point multi-touch tracking, with a glass service, like Apple systems. The benefit of glass surface is that it allows the finger to breath, reducing the collection of finger grease, and the textured glass allows the finger to continuously slide smoothly after extended use. In addition, unlike textured plastic, it doesn't wear down, so over time you'll get a continuous smooth experience.

The trackpad continues with Microsoft Precision line trackpad technology (which some OEM on some models uses) which integrates to Windows to provide proper low latency tracking and gestures to operate the OS like on Apple systems with MacOS.

The keyboard of the Surface Book is said to be very good, but 'clicky', but not as loud as the MacBook Pro latest model. So, if you want truly quiet keyboard the Surface Pro 4 should get you this, or keyboard from business class Dell or Lenovo systems.

From Engadget:

I typed most of this review on the Surface Book. In between, when I wasn't concentrating so much on the task at hand, I used the laptop as my primary machine for email, web surfing, Facebook, Twitter, Google spreadsheets, Slack and every other app I use every day. I think it's a testament to the Surface Book that I was so willing to make it my daily driver, and the keyboard layout here is definitely a big part of that. The buttons are well-spaced and cushy, with a generous 1.6mm of travel and a sturdy panel that stands up well to vigorous typing. I worried, when I saw the device for the first time, that the keys weren't springy enough; that they didn't bounce back much, and might be prone to missing button presses. As it turns out, that hasn't been an issue -- I barely make typos on this thing.

If anything, I wish the keys were quieter. I type quickly, especially once I've found my writer's mojo, and when that happened this week, my typing on the Surface Book got a little clacky. To be fair, it's no louder than the MacBook, which can also get noisy when I'm on a roll. And not all of my coworkers at Engadget even agree with me: Terrence, a longtime ThinkPad user, says the buttons are actually quieter than what he's used to. In any case, then, you might not be bothered by the sound at all. And even if you are, it's no worse than what you'd experience on the MacBook Pro.

As you'd expect of a laptop made by Microsoft, the Surface Book uses one of the company's own "Precision" touchpads, which you can already find in notebooks made by other manufacturers, like Dell. It's already the best Windows trackpad, and it mostly works well here, with smooth two-finger scrolling and pinch-to-zoom for things like maps and fine-print pages. As a warning, there were a few times when I booted up the system only to find the touchpad was unresponsive. In each case, a restart did the trick, but a Microsoft rep said the company is aware of the problem and is planning to release a fix through a firmware update. Indeed, I was testing pre-production-level hardware, so there's a good chance you won't encounter this issue at all.

System sound:

The system is quiet. The fan only seam to kick in when you are really pushing the system like playing a game. This continues to fit the profile that Microsoft aims out with the Surface line. Which might explain why Microsoft didn't put a 950M or clockdown 960M. They wanted to be sure that the system, like the Surface line, remain quiet even plugged in and watching videos.

Battery Life

Microsoft rates the Surface Book for up to 12 hours of battery life with the keyboard dock attached.

Engadget battery life test finds to be true:

Surface Book (Core i5, integrated graphics) 13:54 (tablet with keyboard) / 3:20 (tablet only)

Surface Book (Core i7, discrete graphics) 11:31 (tablet with keyboard) / 3:02 (tablet only)

Look like a book:

IMG_3211-980x653.jpg

Sources:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9732/the-microsoft-surface-book-first-look

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/21/surface-book-review/

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/surface-book-review-the-laptop-that-replaces-your-tablet/

I want a GPU in a block of resin. This laptop looks sweet, I like the design path they are taking.

Edit: I have an old sapphire AGP passively cooled GPU I should put in a block of resin.

i was hoping the aforementioned gpu would be a 940m. i was half expecting them to gimp out and use like a 920m 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

GT 940M (with GDDR5), sounds like Dell outdid Microsoft.

XPS 15 > Surface book

lacks the cool hinge and detachable screen, but 960M with same CPU, RAM, SSD for like $400 cheaper

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

i was hoping the aforementioned gpu would be a 940m. i was half expecting them to gimp out and use like a 920m 

but when you look at what Dell did with a smaller price, it makes MSFT look like they gimped out anyways

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

XPS 15 > Surface book

lacks the cool hinge and detachable screen, but 960M with same CPU, RAM, SSD for like $400 cheaper

16:9 aspect ratio and no pen.

yup, this is more of a tablet type thing while the xps is a workstation laptop :) 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

XPS 15 > Surface book

And my Lenovo Y50 has an 860M/960M as well.

i7 4710HQ

8GB RAM

256GB SSD

$1050 with 24% VAT and other stuff.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

yeah, the benefits of the book with the pen and the detachable screen...

whats wrong with 16:9? its a 4k screen

also Dell has TH3, which to me, with the better GPU and lower price makes it a better laptop.

Solitaire. 

well it does perform better then the mbp just not as much as they said

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

And my Lenovo Y50 has an 860M/960M as well.

i7 4710HQ

8GB RAM

256GB SSD

$1050 with 24% VAT and other stuff.

half the RAM

quarter the SSD space

Haswell instead of Skylake

completely wrong price model, we are talking upwards of 2k

Solitaire. 

yeah, the benefits of the book with the pen and the detachable screen...

whats wrong with 16:9? its a 4k screen

also Dell has TH3, which to me, with the better GPU and lower price makes it a better laptop.

they are 2 different products in my opinion.

they are 2 different products in my opinion.

well, IMO, they are competitors, but people will pick different ones depending on needs.

if performance, price, or TH3 is something you care about, go for Dell

if portability, tablet/laptop adaptability and really-cool-hinge is something you care about, go for Surface

on an unrelated note, that hinge would bug me, because the laptop doesnt close completely flush and stuff could get between the keyboard and screen.

Solitaire. 

half the RAM

quarter the SSD space

Haswell instead of Skylake

completely wrong price model, we are talking upwards of 2k

Fine. $1300 for the 512GB SSD with 16GB of RAM model.

It's still way better performance/value.

However, you can't really compare the XPS 15 with the Lenovo Y50 . They are in completely different categories. Same story with the Surface Book.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

However, you can't really compare the XPS 15 with the Lenovo Y50 . They are in completely different categories. Same story with the Surface Book.

well, the Y50 is older

i think that both the Book and XPS fill the same role, but as i said earlier, different people will have different Specific needs.

they are both high end laptops of similar sizes with high performance components.

Solitaire. 

sometimes, paying more for build quality is better. the screen on the xps is simply better, and i like the look and sleek to it. the lenovo y50 looks sleek in pictures but actually getting to use one at frys it feels big and clunky 

well, the Y50 is older

i think that both the Book and XPS fill the same role, but as i said earlier, different people will have different Specific needs.

they are both high end laptops of similar sizes with high performance components.

Btw, I think the XPS lineup is quite overpriced.

The cheapest XPS 15 I can find is $2800 here , and it's the model from the last damn year! What the hell.

Cheapest XPS 13 I can find is $2000.

The cheapest XPS 15 I can find is $2800 here , and it's the model from the last damn year! What the hell.

uh, is there a XPS 15 from last year?

the prices im using are from Dell and Microsoft's websites

Solitaire. 

sometimes, paying more for build quality is better. the screen on the xps is simply better, and i like the look and sleek to it. the lenovo y50 looks sleek in pictures but actually getting to use one at frys it feels big and clunky 

Your opinion is wrong. Only price/performance matters. 

/s

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Actually no, it looks really nice. I know since I own one.

It's not exactly ultrabook-slick, but it is pretty damn good.

And of course the screen and build quality is better. They are products from completely different categories, just as the XPS 15 and the Surface Book are.

lenovo is more of an international company compared to dell, so i guess in romania the y50 is better. 

uh, is there a XPS 15 from last year?

the prices im using are from Dell and Microsoft's websites

#Romania

http://www.pcgarage.ro/ultrabook/dell/156-xps-15-touch-4k-uhd-procesor-intel-core-i7-4712hq-23ghz-haswell-16gb-512gb-ssd-geforce-gt-750m-2gb-win-81/

News review to argument. I think we have set a new record on time...

i was simply stating that in my opinion Dell outdid MSFT, and i specified that it was my opinion and why.

Solitaire.