Will the Sony HVL-F43M work on a Nikon camera?

Hello, I was just wondering if the Sony HVL-F43M flash will work on a Nikon camera. I want to get a Sony flash because I am hoping to soon be upgrading to their A7R2, and do not want a Nikon flash when I do so.

Hello, I was just wondering if the Sony HVL-F43M flash will work on a Nikon camera. I want to get a Sony flash because I am hoping to soon be upgrading to their A7R2, and do not want a Nikon flash when I do so.

Quick answer, NO.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Quick answer, NO.

Why? I don't care If I need to manually set everything, I just want to know if it will break my camera if I use it

It should fire. Just get one try it in manual, if it doesn't work return it. 

Why? I don't care If I need to manually set everything, I just want to know if it will break my camera if I use it

Well first of all Sony isn't known for putting standard hotshoe mounts on their speedlights. Go to a store that carries a Sony HVL F43M and see if you can even mount it on a Nikon.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Well first of all Sony isn't known for putting standard hotshoe mounts on their speedlights. Go to a store that carries a Sony HVL F43M and see if you can even mount it on a Nikon.

And failing this, you might be able to get a hot shoe adapter, TTL wont work as Sony use i-TTL, but it should work manually

@cadabri  also I would look into the new Nissin Di700A with air commander, a better flash IMO than the F43m

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

And failing this, you might be able to get a hot shoe adapter, TTL wont work as Sony use i-TTL, but it should work manually

@cadabri  also I would look into the new Nissin Di700A with air commander, a better flash IMO than the F43m

Nikon, Canon, Sony... they all use iTTL/eTTL/pTTL whatever they choose to label it, the basic concept is the same.  However the physical differences that prevent a Sony flash being used on Nikon or Canon, Canon flash from being used on Nikon or Sony (you get the idea) is the physical size of the hotshoe mounts and the electronic connection points.  The second factor is the firmware inside the flash and the camera body will not be able to communicate as they may speak "different languages" so to say.

@OP

PS: No it will not break your camera.

Nikon, Canon, Sony... they all use iTTL/eTTL/pTTL whatever they choose to label it, the basic concept is the same.  However the physical differences that prevent a Sony flash being used on Nikon or Canon, Canon flash from being used on Nikon or Sony (you get the idea) is the physical size of the hotshoe mounts and the electronic connection points.  The second factor is the firmware inside the flash and the camera body will not be able to communicate as they may speak "different languages" so to say.

yeah same concept but electronically different per camera, so one will not operate the other (afaik)

but I have used nikon flashes on my A7, but they would only work in fully manual mode (also used the Yongnuo yognuo 560iii and the remote flash unit) - it worked but was all manual

but yes a nikon flash should fit into the hotshoe (the new sony cameras have regular size hotshoes)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

yeah same concept but electronically different per camera, so one will not operate the other (afaik)

but I have used nikon flashes on my A7, but they would only work in fully manual mode (also used the Yongnuo yognuo 560iii and the remote flash unit) - it worked but was all manual

but yes a nikon flash should fit into the hotshoe (the new sony cameras have regular size hotshoes)

Yeah if the hotshoe sizes are similar they can be mounted and used in manual mode, I've used my Nikon SB-910s on a Fuji.  The important thing here in this case is the central metal connection point (see image below) on the camera line up with the central metal pin on the flash.  Also observe if the retaining pin that makes sure the flash does not fall off the camera body is at the right position.

nikonD1Shutterblad2.jpg

Just get a second hand/used Nikon SB-600/SB-900 or something, the OP doesn't say when he/she/it will move over to the A7RII system.  Nikon speedlights have a good resale value.

This flash has the multi interface, and therefor is compatible with it, I do not want to get a Nikon as I find them over priced, even if I sell it for only one hundred less that is one hundred lost on a flash I do not want.

This flash has the multi interface, and therefor is compatible with it, I do not want to get a Nikon as I find them over priced, even if I sell it for only one hundred less that is one hundred lost on a flash I do not want.

The nikon speedlights are really good, the Yongnuo flashes and triggers are super too

but yeah TTL doesnt work between brands, so yeah get the sony if you plan on fitting it to the A7R2

But seriously consider the Nissin di700A with air commander

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/guest-post-by-dierk-topp-the-new-nissin-di700a-air-1-wireless-ttl-flash-for-sony/

It will fire because the main pin needed to trasmit a signal will still make contact, but you will loose any automatic or through the lens capabilites in the process. I use my canon flash on my x100 often and it works well enough. Also, because its a Sony flash (I will assume older alpha flash) you will need an adapter to mount it to a standard hot shoe iirc.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14