[Canada - Memory Express] 3TB Seagate Barracuda $110

Kevguy

Says it is $40 off for today. 

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX36849

Intel i7-4790K Processor, 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 RAM, ASUS Z-87 Pro Motherboard, Corsair RM 750 PSU, 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX GPU, Corsair Carbide 500R Case, AFT Pro-77U Card Reader, Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2415, Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, Windows 9 (Windows 10 with StartIsBack++)

WARNING!

THIS DRIVE HAS A MAJOR FAILURE RATE AND I DO NOT RECOMMEND BUYING THIS 

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/198154-2014-hard-drive-failure-rates-point-to-clear-winners-and-losers-but-is-the-data-good

those benchmarks are BS

linus already talked about this crap almost a year ago

backblaze tested the drives in completely unrealistic scenarios

53 minutes

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

WARNING!

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/198154-2014-hard-drive-failure-rates-point-to-clear-winners-and-losers-but-is-the-data-good

yeah lol

that ONE type of drive haha

But that was in a server rack environment wasn't it?

So it's not exactly normal situations.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

WARNING!

Look, Seagate had issues with the 2TB Barracuda when the floods hit Thailand a few years back.  It was well known.  From what I have seen and read, the issue has been resolved and they work just fine now (the 2TB that is).  

The 3TB & 4TB Barracuda's have some really good reviews if you take the time to look around the web.  Some are even recommending them over the WD counter-part. 

I have two 1TB Barracudas running in RAID1 on my machine and they have been solid for 2 years with no issues.

Stop tarring all Seagates with the same brush.

Intel i7-4790K Processor, 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 RAM, ASUS Z-87 Pro Motherboard, Corsair RM 750 PSU, 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX GPU, Corsair Carbide 500R Case, AFT Pro-77U Card Reader, Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2415, Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, Windows 9 (Windows 10 with StartIsBack++)

those benchmarks are BS

linus already talked about this crap almost a year ago

backblaze tested the drives in completely unrealistic scenarios

53 minutes

no it's not. 

Usually I leap in and say yes, you should not trust backblaze's non-scientific report,

but the 3TB drives are very, very crappy. It has to do with when they were produced in related to the flood. They are basically 4TB drives without proper reengineering if I recall correctly. 

Not all of the 3TB ones are like this, but I would not take the risk.

Some 2tb ones have problems too, lost a few of them. 

Not only that but idk about CA, but int he US you can get one for 90$ on amazon

Good news is, as far as I know, even though you can still get bad versions, I think you can see if you have a bad version

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

no it's not. 

Usually I leap in and say yes, you should not trust backblaze's non-scientific report,

but the 3TB drives are very, very crappy. It has to do with when they were produced in related to the flood. They are basically 4TB drives without proper reengineering if I recall correctly. 

Not all of the 3TB ones are like this, but I would not take the risk.

Some 2tb ones have problems too, lost a few of them. 

Not only that but idk about CA, but int he US you can get one for 90$ on amazon

Good news is, as far as I know, even though you can still get bad versions, I think you can see if you have a bad version

lol do you seriously think they pulled drives out of the water and sold them?

thats not how it works...

i dont think you understand where the hell youre getting your information, you dont "re engineer" a 4tb hard drive into a 3tb one

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

lol do you seriously think they pulled drives out of the water and sold them?

thats not how it works...

i dont think you understand where the hell youre getting your information, you dont "re engineer" a 4tb hard drive into a 3tb one

nooo

I'm not stupid.

I don't think they grabbed a fishing net and got as many hard drives as possible while they were...floating around on a life raft. 

it's about their decreased quality because of the financial and supply issues it caused. 

The 3TB drives I refer to are from Q3 2011, and it's entirely possible that the issues are because of the shortage. Warranties were reduced, and there were cost cutting measures were taken.

This is really well documented. 

It's entirety possible the 2TB and 3TB drives that failed a lot were due to this. 

In fact, I'm pretty certain they admitted it in the case of the 2TB ones

And when you remove write heads and platters, I imagine you should at least, you know, test the drive to make sure the long term durability isn't effected. 

As far as I remember, a couple of the 3TB drives I lost and recovered via platter swap were pretty much exactly the same as the 4TB drives with a gap in them underneath. Or maybe it was the 1.5TB ones, not sure. But one of them produced around that time. And I would imagine anything spinning around 120 times a second would take extensive testing to get the manufacturing process right for each configuration 

I remember I was able to take housing and parts from their bigger brothers around the same time to recover data. 

Thankfully for me, I didn't have to send off any to a recovery service. Data wasn't quite worth that much to me, but it was worth trying myself. The failures weren't particularly catastrophic, and I was able to get most of it back lifting the platters out with packing tape, and I'm 100% certain a professional service would have no getting all of it, even the scratched parts. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

nooo

I'm not stupid.

I don't think they grabbed a fishing net and got as many hard drives as possible while they were...floating around on a life raft.

it's about their decreased quality because of the financial and supply issues it caused.

The 3TB drives I refer to are from Q3 2011, and it's entirely possible that the issues are because of the shortage. Warranties were reduced, and there were cost cutting measures were taken.

This is really well documented.

It's entirety possible the 2TB and 3TB drives that failed a lot were due to this.

In fact, I'm pretty certain they admitted it in the case of the 2TB ones

And when you remove write heads and platters, I imagine you should at least, you know, test the drive to make sure the long term durability isn't effected.

As far as I remember, a couple of the 3TB drives I lost and recovered via platter swap were pretty much exactly the same as the 4TB drives with a gap in them underneath. Or maybe it was the 1.5TB ones, not sure. But one of them produced around that time. And I would imagine anything spinning around 120 times a second would take extensive testing to get the manufacturing process right for each configuration

I remember I was able to take housing and parts from their bigger brothers around the same time to recover data.

Thankfully for me, I didn't have to send off any to a recovery service. Data wasn't quite worth that much to me, but it was worth trying myself. The failures weren't particularly catastrophic, and I was able to get most of it back lifting the platters out with packing tape, and I'm 100% certain a professional service would have no getting all of it, even the scratched parts.

I think you are full of it.

I think you are full of it.

The warranty reduction 

http://www.techspot.com/news/46726-seagate-and-western-digital-announce-reduced-warranties-for-hard-drives.html

The mass failure admission I was wrong on, that's 2009 1TB drives, or that's the only one I could find.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/11112/seagate_admits_to_mass_hdd_failures_firmware_bug/index.html

Backblaze's 'report' (which kind of gives an insight into how non-scientific and flawed it is)

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/3tb-hard-drive-failure/

More info on the affect of the flood

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2500090/data-center/impact-of-hard-drive-shortage-to-linger-through-2013.html

And, I shit you not, basically what I do when I try to swap platters and write heads

I'm only successful about hlaf of the time. I seem to have better luck if I can access a deepspar station, but I usually just use a usb adapter and ddrescue.

Even then, I still miss chunks of the data often. 

The swapping platters part is easy, IF there's enough space between the platters and the walls for tape. (The tape of course, to keep the alignment of the platters, which is very important) Keeping the needles separated on the write head is where I usually fuck up, though, I have fucked that up and just got another donor drive and still been sucessful.

Also, the only non-failed segate drive I have left, a 3TB one, I do believe is new enough to not suffer the problems. I'll find out. 

Oddly, most of the 2TB drives I had fail were partial failures, and I was able to get all of the data off without anything really special. 

so yea I'm full of it

muh specs 

All parts black

http://www.techspot.com/news/46726-seagate-and-western-digital-announce-reduced-warranties-for-hard-drives.html

The mass failure admission I was wrong on, that's 2009 1TB drives, or that's the only one I could find.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/11112/seagate_admits_to_mass_hdd_failures_firmware_bug/index.html

Backblaze's 'report' (which kind of gives an insight into how non-scientific and flawed it is)

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/3tb-hard-drive-failure/

More info on the affect of the flood

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2500090/data-center/impact-of-hard-drive-shortage-to-linger-through-2013.html

And, I shit you not, basically what I do when I try to swap platters and write heads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZx-tU1_gOw

I'm only successful about 50% of the time. I seem to have better luck if I can access a deepspar station, but I usually just use a usb adapter and ddrescue.

Also, the only non-failed segate drive I have left, a 3TB one, I do believe is new enough to not suffer the problems. I'll find out. 

Oddly, most of the 2TB drives I had fail were partial failures, and I was able to get all of the data off without anything really special. 

so yea I'm full of it

Are you finished blowing smoke up everyone's ass?

Are you finished blowing smoke up everyone's ass?

Prove me wrong? 

Because at this point I think you are trolling. 

muh specs 

All parts black

@OP 

I was not aware how much the Canadian dollar was falling. So 110$ CAD = 84 USD

1 CAD = .77 USD 

wow. I don't pay attention. When did that happen? Wasn't it like .9 a year ago?

My original comment about this not being a deal was wrong. 

About 16 CAD cheaper than you find on amazon 

http://www.amazon.ca/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST3000DM001/dp/B005T3GRLY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1445308867&sr=8-1&keywords=seagate+3tb

muh specs 

All parts black

@OP 

I was not aware how much the Canadian dollar was falling. So 110$ CAD = 84 USD

1 CAD = .77 USD 

wow. I don't pay attention. When did that happen? Wasn't it like .9 a year ago?

My original comment about this not being a deal was wrong. 

About 16 CAD cheaper than you find on amazon 

http://www.amazon.ca/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST3000DM001/dp/B005T3GRLY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1445308867&sr=8-1&keywords=seagate+3tb

Well, the price of oil has decreased so much the past year that it has dragged the Canadian dollar down with it.

Well, the price of oil has decreased so much the past year that it has dragged the Canadian dollar down with it.

Forgive me for being ignorant, but I had no Idea the Canadian economy was so oil dependent. 

I mean I knew it was  major export, but not that major. 

Am I killing my friends up north by rejoicing about my cheap fuel in the US? 

muh specs 

All parts black

Am I killing my friends up north by rejoicing about my cheap fuel in the US? 

The killing is already done.....so many people have lost their jobs.