PowerColor Devil 13 Dual Core R9 390 Video Card Review (HardOCP)

Mr_Troll
Conclusion:

At $800 PowerColor Devil 13 Dual Core R9 390 competes with two AMD Radeon R9 390X video cards in CrossFire. If you can get R9 390X CrossFire at the same price, and you have the room for two video cards, honestly this is the smartest way to go. There might be a saving grace if the PowerColor Devil 13 Dual Core R9 390 overclocks well, it does have the potential to at least perform as well as R9 390X CrossFire through overclocking.

It would be nice to have a more stripped down version of the PowerColor Devil 13 Dual Core R9 390. In that we mean subtract the bonus deluxe package, subtract the included $149 mouse and instead knock off $100 from this video cards price. If PowerColor would provide a stripped down version for $100 less, or more, then the PowerColor Devil 13 Dual Core R9 390 would be the killer deal of a video card. It is too bad such a beast doesn't exist because there is a lot of potential there to be had.

That said the PowerColor Devil 13 Dual Core R9 390 does sit in its own category. It is a single video card with dual-GPUs on board. It also has the unique ability of being able to CrossFire with another PowerColor Devil 13 Dual Core R9 390 for Quad-GPU R9 390 performance, which is much easier to do with two video cards versus four. That is a configuration possibility worth keeping in mind for those that can afford such things. We know AMD hardware scales well with XDMA, we just aren't sure how the drivers would handle Quad-GPUs.

PowerColor has built a fun and unique video card with the PowerColor Devil 13 Dual Core R9 390 that certainly fills a specific certain niche. If this video card appeals to you it is available and in-stock. Obviously, this Devil 13 R9 is not for everyone, however it is a great piece of engineering from PowerColor and that should be commended. The PowerColor Devil 13 Dual Core R9 390 offers a unique option for those looking for something different and capable for 4K gaming. Certainly this video card would be much more desirable if AMD got its act together when it comes to CrossFire driver and profile performance.

Looks big. Draws a lot of power, Can break your mobo lol?. Performs as expected. You could get CF setup for cheaper. But it comes packaged with a 100 dollar mouse. My opinion : dont like it, CF setup looks better than this.

Graphs are in the links bellow.

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

Nice! Would rock for a mini-itx mega-beast build :)

Pity about the crossfire issues tho :/

i like turtles

So 395X2 ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

its not my review.... read the source....

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

wrong section m9

Teach news and reviews.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Teach news and reviews.

nobody posts reviews but i guess technically the section is called "...and reviews"

its not my review.... read the source....

You make it look like it was yours though, at least a bit. Y u no use the quote button? ...

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

nobody posts reviews but i guess technically the section is called "...and reviews"

Yeah they do m8, and if they didn't he isn't in the wrong either like you said.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

You make it look like it was yours though, at least a bit. Y u no use the quote button? ...

fixed

NVM.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

fixed

Much better now! Thank you ;)

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Nice! Would rock for a mini-itx mega-beast build :)

except it wouldn't fit in a mini itx case, it's triple slot

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

except it wouldn't fit in a mini itx case, it's triple slot

a watercooled mini-itx build then? This card would benefit heaps from being on water too, probably :)

i like turtles

Curious how it compares to the 295X2.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

a watercooled mini-itx build then? This card would benefit heaps from being on water too, probably :)

but then you might as well get a much cheaper 295x2 (provided the case you're using is even long enough which isn't a given)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Curious how it compares to the 295X2.

should be basically identical except hotter and fatter. They put the 300 series tesselation improvements on the 290 already so it should be the same.

Still waiting for 980ti x2. Not that I'd buy that but I'd like to see nvidia's take on dual aio graphics cards.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I have a little trouble with these guys reviews. They're inconsistent in their benchmarks. For example in the GTA 5 one they're using highest settings and Grass settings at ultra on the AMD configs and Very high settings and High grass settings on the nVid config. Leading to the misleading results that they show. (Anyone who's played the game has seen the impact ultra grass has on performance.

Then on the Witcher 3 Benchmark they have the Powercolor devil 13 on low settings with the 970 SLI and 390X CFX at medium settings.

It's very hard to do an accurate comparison with this crap going on.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

I have a little trouble with these guys reviews. They're inconsistent in their benchmarks. For example in the GTA 5 one they're using highest settings and Grass settings at ultra on the AMD configs and Very high settings and High grass settings on the nVid config. Leading to the misleading results that they show. (Anyone who's played the game has seen the impact ultra grass has on performance.

Then on the Witcher 3 Benchmark they have the Powercolor devil 13 on low settings with the 970 SLI and 390X CFX at medium settings.

It's very hard to do an accurate comparison with this crap going on.

Scoll down and you can see apples to apples result.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Scoll down and you can see apples to apples result.

Yes but this is not what you see when you first go to the page. That is what most people are seeing. They should completely remove the top part. It has no relevance especially when all cards are capable of running the same settings.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Yes but this is not what you see when you first go to the page. That is what most people are seeing. They should completely remove the top part. It has no relevance especially when all cards are capable of running the same settings.

I also agree, apples to apples setting comparisons should be on top, then a 'most playable settings' section could be under that,.... for finetuning the particular GPU for a more fluid experience.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Problems with the "review"

• It is poorly written
  • The same settings weren't used across the different set-ups.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL