Transferring OS to an SSD

Anonymous

Okay, so right now in my system all I have is one 1 TB Velociraptor and nothing else for storage. I want to add my Samsung 840 Pro, but I only want to transfer the OS and nothing else. I am asking how because I just want to be sure that I dont mess it up. Any links to Linus's videos would work as long  as they are about only transferring the OS. I'll answer any questions you have about it as soon as I see them. thanks in advance.

i thought samsung gave you software for this kind of thing what did it come with?

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

Okay, so right now in my system all I have is one 1 TB Velociraptor and nothing else for storage. I want to add my Samsung 840 Pro, but I only want to transfer the OS and nothing else. I am asking how because I just want to be sure that I dont mess it up. Any links to Linus's videos would work as long  as they are about only transferring the OS. I'll answer any questions you have about it as soon as I see them. thanks in advance.

i needed to know the same thing yesterday, but I just resorted to reinstalling OS only on the ssd while hdd was disconnected. just boot from the ssd windows

Personally I would just reinstall your os, it not only makes sure everything like trim is running and the other things that need to or don't need to be running are and fresh installing your os every once in a while is a good idea regardless because it helps clear up all the rubbish on your pc. After fresh installing your os just copy over any personal files and reinstall all your programs. 

So I spelt something wrong in my post... I don't care I don't read through what I write and I type very quickly.

Intel 3770k stock, MSI Z77A-GD65, MSI GTX 760, Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600Mhz 16Gb, Corsair RM 550W, Samsung 830 256Gb, some random hdds.

I think you only have two options

You either do a fresh install on your new SSD or you use a cloning software and clone you HDD to your SSD

Personally I would just reinstall your os, it not only makes sure everything like trim is running and the other things that need to or don't need to be running are and fresh installing your os every once in a while is a good idea regardless because it helps clear up all the rubbish on your pc. After fresh installing your os just copy over any personal files and reinstall all your programs. 

agree, thats the way to do it. OS and programs on SSD. Data, pictures, movies, music etc on HDD. Games can go both ways.

You said "all I have is one 1 TB Velociraptor and nothing else for storage"

I hope you have another solution for backup

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing

If there is room on the 840, the easiest way would likely be to clone the drive and copy the rest of the files back to the velociraptor. If there is not, you might be able to create a new partition, move files into that partition, and clone what is left. Or, finally, you could re-install the OS.

CPU: Intel 3570k (4.3) MOBO: Asrock z77 extreme6 GPU: Gigabyte Windforce HD 7970 RAM: 4x4 Gb Samsung Ultra Low Profile DDR3-1600mhz CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Storage: 250GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD (Boot), 3TB Seagate Barracuda Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (black)  PSU: Corsair TX750M  Peripherals: Rosewill

rk-9000, Gigabyte M8000x, Sennheiser PX 200-II, Asus VS247H-P 23.6" 1080p TN panel

So if I re-install the OS on the 840 do I just keep it installed on the Velociraptor but boot to the SSD?

Yeah.  It will detect 2 operating systems and whenever you boot it will ask you which one to boot to, but you can modify the settings so that the countdown timer is only like 1 second or something before it auto-boots to the first in the list.  Or you might be able to go into the BIOS and remove your mechanical drive from the boot order.

Yeah.  It will detect 2 operating systems and whenever you boot it will ask you which one to boot to, but you can modify the settings so that the countdown timer is only like 1 second or something before it auto-boots to the first in the list.  Or you might be able to go into the BIOS and remove your mechanical drive from the boot order.

Now I just need to find my Windows 7 disc... I always seem to lose it

Now I just need to find my Windows 7 disc... I always seem to lose it

Just download an ISO copy.

http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

And put it on a pen drive and convert it to a boot drive.

:)

Or put it on a any portal able drive or storage drive, what ever you have, install deamon tools lite and run the ISO from there.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Just download an ISO copy.

http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

And put it on a pen drive and concert it to a boot drive.

:)

Or put it on a any portal able drive or storage drive, what ever you have, install deamon tools lite and run the ISO from there.Where 

Where can I install daemon tools lite? And what do I do with it after?

Where can I install daemon tools lite? And what do I do with it after?

You just install it on your hard drive - http://www.disc-tools.com/download/daemon

The ISO you download will automatically become a deamon tools icon, so you can just double click on the ISO file and it will automatically load into deamon tools, autorun will run and just click on setup.exe and it will run the windows 7 setup.

It works exactly the same as a CD install, it just creates a virtual drive on your machine which acts as a CD drive.

Can load the setup, format the hard drive and re-install, or just overwrite and delete the Windows.Old folder left behind (make sure the ISO file isn't on your hard drive you are re-installing on :D)

Easier if you have a small USB pen drive though to use as a boot drive.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Download that and it automatically does it for you.

Can also just use a CD instead of a USB drive :P

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

You just install it on your hard drive - http://www.disc-tools.com/download/daemon

The ISO you download will automatically become a deamon tools icon, so you can just double click on the ISO file and it will automatically load into deamon tools, autorun will run and just click on setup.exe and it will run the windows 7 setup.

It works exactly the same as a CD install, it just creates a virtual drive on your machine which acts as a CD drive.

Can load the setup, format the hard drive and re-install, or just overwrite and delete the Windows.Old folder left behind (make sure the ISO file isn't on your hard drive you are re-installing on :D)

Easier if you have a small USB pen drive though to use as a boot drive.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Download that and it automatically does it for you.

Can also just use a CD instead of a USB drive :P

Okay, so how do i get it the installation on to the SSD? It will bring up the windows 7 install screen, but how do I install it on the SSD?

Okay, so how do i get it the installation on to the SSD? It will bring up the windows 7 install screen, but how do I install it on the SSD?

Which one are you doing? daemon tools or usb drive?

First of all, go into your bios and change your hard drive setting to ACHI if your motherboard supports it, this is the optimal setting for SSD's, doesn't matter if you dont have it mind you.

Also, back-up your hard drives files you want to keep somewhere.

If daemon tools:

Put the ISO File on your hard drive (the Velociraptor), so you don't loose it.  Or put it on your USB and run it from there, doesn't really matter.

Open it with deamon tools, click on setup and just go through the normal install process (have your SSD plugged in ofc ^^)

Select your SSD drive when you select what to install on and just let it do it (its exactly the same as a normal hard drive install)

When it's done, go into your bios and change the SSD to the boot drive (1st priority)

Boot into windows and format your velociraptor to get rid of its installation of windows 7 and then use it as storage :P

if USB pen(if you have made a boot drive):

Either go into your bios and set USB as priority boot drive, restart and it will automatically load select your SSD to install too etc and go back into bios to set ssd as priority.

or

Plug the USB drive in while you are on the desktop, autorun will pop-up click on setup and just run it like normal.

i recommend a fresh install. you're wishing what i wished for when i got my ssd. but i decided to just fresh install and then bring all my files across when/if appropriate. 

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung