Real-World 5820K Turbo Speeds

Go to solution Solved by xConVirus,

I went into the BIOS and the Turbo Boost option was set to "Auto", I switched it to "Enabled" and now it honestly seems like all cores are running at 3.599GHz which is what I thought it should have been. Thank you for all the advice and information.

So I'm running F@H on my computer here at full, and I just noticed that with my CPU usage between 97-100% usage, and temps barely touching 60 degrees Celsius, it's looking like the maximum GHz I'm hitting is 3.339GHz. This seems odd to me because according to Intel Ark, the 5820K Turbos up to 3.6GHz, so I'm wondering why it's lower. I haven't overclocked it at all, I'm just wondering whether there may be some setting I don't have enabled or something? Not a pressing matter, I'm just curious and procrastinating. Thoughts are appreciated, thanks.

what are you using to see the frequency

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The turbo boost could be disabled in your bios by default, which seems unlikely and dumb but just a hypothesis

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

So I'm running F@H on my computer here at full, and I just noticed that with my CPU usage between 97-100% usage, and temps barely touching 60 degrees Celsius, it's looking like the maximum GHz I'm hitting is 3.339GHz. This seems odd to me because according to Intel Ark, the 5820K Turbos up to 3.6GHz, so I'm wondering why it's lower. I haven't overclocked it at all, I'm just wondering whether there may be some setting I don't have enabled or something? Not a pressing matter, I'm just curious and procrastinating. Thoughts are appreciated, thanks.

Just get a 240, 280, 360 all in one and overclock to 4.5

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

what are you using to see the frequency

CPUID HWMonitor. 

The turbo boost could be disabled in your bios by default, which seems unlikely and dumb but just a hypothesis

I will check that out.

Just get a 240, 280, 360 all in one and overclock to 4.5

I don't really want to overclock it myself just yet. I just thought the difference between the GHz I'm getting and the GHz advertised was curious.

is turbo boost enabled?

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

turbo boost only reaches full frequency when only one core is at 100%

the more cores that are at 100%, the lower the frequency will be

this is to conserve the rated TDP

to have all cores turbo boost you need to OC and "sync all cores"

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Your i7-5820K should only boost to 3.4GHz under 3-6 core loads. 1-2 core loads it boosts to 3.6GHz. You can see the boost table HERE.

If your bclk is not 100MHz flat, it will report your CPU speed as being higher or lower than your multiplier would make it out to be. For example, with a 39x multiplier on my CPU at 99.76MHz bclk speed, windows task manager reports me as using 3.84GHz, and throttlestop/HWiNFO/etc report me as being somewhere around 3890MHz.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I went into the BIOS and the Turbo Boost option was set to "Auto", I switched it to "Enabled" and now it honestly seems like all cores are running at 3.599GHz which is what I thought it should have been. Thank you for all the advice and information.