Thoughts on laptop cooler?

Flanelman

I was looking at this:

https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/Deepcool-Multi-Core-X6-Notebook-Cooler/21350733

It's not too expensive only 40 nzd which is 26.5 usd so it kinda made me spectacle about it, currently i don't have a cooler i just prop it up on my external hard drive for more flow underneath, but after playing the star wars beta on my laptop the fan is working pretty hard, and it's like watching your child being punched in the face haha.

so what do you guys think of it? and if not this one do you guys have any suggestions for similar price range? 

thanks! :)

From my personal experience these wont help to cool anything at all. It is just better if you dont want to have hot notebook in your lap so you put it on this.

What temps are you hitting during the Battlefront beta?  It's best to have some solid metrics before you make a purchase like this.  Also, in my experience at least, these things are typically junk and make little to no difference in cooling.  What are the specs on the laptop?  Some cards and CPU's can handle higher temps than others.  

Oh signature time!  It's on now, gonna give ya somethin snarky and clever and think way too hard about this because I'm really concerned about what people on the internet think of me.  Better google some good quotes to put in here too.....oh wait I'm not a loser.

What temps are you hitting during the Battlefront beta?  It's best to have some solid metrics before you make a purchase like this.  Also, in my experience at least, these things are typically junk and make little to no difference in cooling.  What are the specs on the laptop?  Some cards and CPU's can handle higher temps than others.  

ill just start it up and play for 5-10 and get back with a temp :)

edit: 

gpu: 75 degrees celcius

cpu: 78 degrees celcius 

i'd imagine they would fluctuate but that is what they're saying currently. :)

after about 30 sec - 1 min the gpu drops to about 56 and cput to 60.. not sure if it's relevant but i think it maybe just gives you more info on the stock cooling on my laptop :)

i read somewhere that anything under 90 is good right? not sure if that is correct tho or only for desktop components, it was a while ago  :)

gpu = gtx 970m 3gb

cpu = i7 4720HQ

It doesn't really matter what you get, as long as it has fans and can do it's work without making too much noise it's a winner.

The difference between coolpad A and B will be small, probably so small you can't measure it. But the difference between a cooling pad with fans or a pad without one/none at all will be measureable. But don't expect a big difference, if you see 5°C difference you are lucky.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

One rule I found out about laptop cooler is that they all are the same. Better get one with bigger fan as small ones run at high rpm and are noisy

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

I had a few laptop coolers in the past and they all suck if they are powered via USB. 5 V is not enough for effective cooling.

I ended up building my own laptop cooler with some old fans, a PSU and some soldering. 12V is so much better. Those overpriced 5V coolers on amazon are not worth any money.

who cares...

Sorry it took me so long to get back, honestly those temps aren't that bad.  Just keep the vents clean and try not to set the laptop directly on your lap as that will cut off airflow and increase temps.  Also remember that you'll get lower temps if the ambient temperature is low as well.  In other words, don't play in hot rooms, be sure that you're playing the laptop on a table or something flat and hard instead of your pants where the cotton or denim can bunch up and get in the way of the vents decreasing air flow, and you should be fine.  Nvidia even says that 90c is fine, so your temps are absolutely alright.  Don't bother wasting money on a laptop cooler, they never work and they almost always break inside of a month or two.  

Oh signature time!  It's on now, gonna give ya somethin snarky and clever and think way too hard about this because I'm really concerned about what people on the internet think of me.  Better google some good quotes to put in here too.....oh wait I'm not a loser.

Sorry it took me so long to get back, honestly those temps aren't that bad.  Just keep the vents clean and try not to set the laptop directly on your lap as that will cut off airflow and increase temps.  Also remember that you'll get lower temps if the ambient temperature is low as well.  In other words, don't play in hot rooms, be sure that you're playing the laptop on a table or something flat and hard instead of your pants where the cotton or denim can bunch up and get in the way of the vents decreasing air flow, and you should be fine.  Nvidia even says that 90c is fine, so your temps are absolutely alright.  Don't bother wasting money on a laptop cooler, they never work and they almost always break inside of a month or two.  

Thanks for the info :) i always play on my desk and i put my external hard drive under the back so the air flows better under my cpu/gpu intakes :)

I've just never had a game make my fan run any higher than around 50% so i just wasn't sure about it, didn't even think to check the temps haha.

thanks again, i appreciate your help! :)

No worries brother, happy gaming to ya :D