Which DSLR? D3200 or D5200 or D7000 or any other suggestion?

virusal19

Which one should i get? The D3200, D5200 or D7000 any other camera suggestion is most welcome.

I am looking for a Entry-level to semi-pro DSLR for school photography, home use and things alike. I would like to have a camera that have a average to high FPS, 100% view-finder would be a great bonus, and preferably weather sealed. My price range is around $2000 AU (roughly the same in Canadian and American money, only about a $70 difference) but any camera that doesn't exceed that would be great (not including lens and memory card). I won't be getting into video much but it would be a great bonus if it has good video features.

​- Sincerely, virusal19

What type of photography are you planning to shoot?

I am assuming you want to go Nikon, the best you could probably go in a new camera is probably a D600 grey import off somewhere like DigitalRev

The D7000 is an older camera, but still very good. Currently I'd suggest to get a D3200 and invest in lenses, then buy a better body.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

The D7000 is an older camera, but still very good. Currently I'd suggest to get a D3200 and invest in lenses, then buy a better body.
This, I know the OP said not to include lenses in the budget, but could be the best option. All boils down to what he's planning to shoot though, sometimes it makes sense to jump right into the prosumer full frames.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitley have a look at the Pentax Lineup, great for the money and highly underrated.

Intel Core I5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz w/ Hyper 212 EVO Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H 8GB Patriot Viper 3 1600Mhz CL9 Gigabyte Windforce 3X 7950 @ 1100/1550 Samsung 830 128GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB Fractal Design ​Define R4 Seasonic M12II 750Watt

It is tough to give a recommendation on a camera without knowing what it will be used for or what you consider high FPS (or why you need high FPS). D7000 is and awesome camera with everything you are looking for (only one with weatherproofing). It is not entry level, it is more on the semi-pro side of things. You should look into that or the D7100 which was just announced. Some people suggested getting a D3200 and then investing in lenses. D3200 is very basic and if you are getting the camera for photography classes it may not offer all of the manual controls required (depending on how in depth the classes are). The D5200 is the D5100 body with a higher resolution sensor and the AF system of the D7000. That should be a solid camera but I have no experience it. You didn't ask for lens recommendations but I would go with prime lenses when just starting off. The are cheap, fast, sharp, and overall great quality.