Fractal Design - Arc Mini (MATX case)

SheriffHD

This is my basic review of the Fractal Design Arc Mini.

While most people will usually go right for full ATX builds, I much rather MATX form factors due to the overall size is smaller and yet you dont have to make too many compromises for the build, while you can go for a really small MITX build, you find with just one PCI slot you're limited to what you can have inside.

I am not one to enjoy a flashy case, and like to keep to a case that has clean lines and good cooling which also offers a good price point and good cable management.

When I was considering the parts for my current build, I had three cases in mind that were at 3 price points, the first and the one that cost the lease was the cooler master K350, which is an ATX case and priced at the £40 mark, I then had the Arc Mini wich was priced at the £60 mark, and finally the 350D which came in at £90 mark, out of the three cases the Arc Mini was the one that appealed to me the most.

Overview

This MATX case came in at a medium price point, costing me £59. This case has a nice clean look to it with the brushed finished on the plastic front bezel. The front I/O is on the top of the case and seperate of the bezel which means that you dont have to worry about sodding about with cables when you remove the bezel.

the case comes with plenty of rubber gromits in the case for better looking interior as well as a few CM in the back to run the cables.

When first opening the case you will see that it has a natural Black and white theme to the case which only adds to beauty of this case.

Whats included.

along with the case, you also get 3 fans, two 120mm fans and one 140mm fan. And you also get a 3 way fan controller.

Also, one of the drive bays have a 3 1/2 drive insert so you can place your card readers of what ever else you have into one of the 2 5 1/4 bay slots. to compliment the 3 1/2 bay you have a spare cover so that the bay is perfectly flush on the front panel to keep up with a clean looking front end.

All of the included fans follow the color theme in the case being black bodied with white fins.

Pro's

- Removable HDD cage to allow for better airflow to the GPU, Cage can also be rotated to allow for better airflow atop the HDD them selfs.

- top of the case is able to fit either 120, 240 or a 280mm rad

- 3 Included fans + fan controller

- USB 3.0

- 5 1/4 to 3 1/2 Bay converter.

- Tool-less fan mounting on front bezel

Con's

- Only the top HDD cage is removable the bottom one would need to modded out of the case should you wish to install a 240mm rad in the front of the case.

- the cables are not 100% black, so they are a bit of an eye sore if you are after getting a nice clean case going

- The bottom grommet by the PSU is a bit on the small side so can be a bit tight when sorting out all your cables.

- could use a little more room in the back for cable management

Overall, for the £60 price mark, what you get from this case is a fantastic looking case plenty of room for fans, and if you're into water cooling, im sure you can get a nice little loop going inside. it is nice to build inside of.

I would highly recommend this case to any one looking to do a MATX build, but doesnt want a 350D.

Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini / Motherboard:GigaByte G1-Sniper-M5 / CPU: Intel 4670k / Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz / GPU: Asus GTX770 Direct CU 2GB / PSU: OCZ ZT650 / SSD: 2xSamsung 840 240GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB / Cooler: Corsair H100i / Fans: 3x Corsair AF120 + 2 Corsair SP120 / Mouse: Corsair M65 / Keyboard: Cheap Crap/ Headset: Razer Kraken / Misk: 3DConnexion mouse / Flight stick: Cyborg F.L.Y 5

Good review, I like how your able to build a mental picture up but not over complicate it. I really wish that we got the cheaper fractal products ESPECIALLY the Core lineup in NZ.

Good review, I like how your able to build a mental picture up but not over complicate it. I really wish that we got the cheaper fractal products ESPECIALLY the Core lineup in NZ.

Or a micro itx fractal.

I am a happy wuffy

Good review, although I'm confused about this statement "could use a little more room in the back for cable management" being under Pro's. Is it good for those who need more room in the back for cables? 

Also, don't forget a link! Fractal Design Arc Mini

Did ask Josh from Fractal about release date. Should be coming in september. I would like to say about mini r2 "shut up and take my money!" :)

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

Good review, although I'm confused about this statement "could use a little more room in the back for cable management" being under Pro's. Is it good for those who need more room in the back for cables? 

Ah, yeah I made a doozy.....Fixed now.

Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini / Motherboard:GigaByte G1-Sniper-M5 / CPU: Intel 4670k / Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz / GPU: Asus GTX770 Direct CU 2GB / PSU: OCZ ZT650 / SSD: 2xSamsung 840 240GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB / Cooler: Corsair H100i / Fans: 3x Corsair AF120 + 2 Corsair SP120 / Mouse: Corsair M65 / Keyboard: Cheap Crap/ Headset: Razer Kraken / Misk: 3DConnexion mouse / Flight stick: Cyborg F.L.Y 5