Do different Psus make different sounds?

I just got my new psu today as an upgrade from my 500 watt psu to a 750 watt. Anyways, I booted up my system and the psu makes a slightly different sound. Is that normal, its not bothering or anything, just curious. Also, it has a bigger fan from my previous one. Any insight would be appreciated.

What sound are you referring to exactly? Whining? Fan noise?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I just got my new psu today as an upgrade from my 500 watt psu to a 750 watt. Anyways, I booted up my system and the psu makes a slightly different sound. Is that normal, its not bothering or anything, just curious. Also, it has a bigger fan from my previous one. Any insight would be appreciated.

Bigger fans generally make less noise. But different whines and such will come from different PSUs.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Frankly, it is normal to notice a different sound when booting up your PC after changing out your hardware, each piece of hardware makes its own noises, such as different types of fans, and since this power supply has a different type of fan, it's normal to notice a change in sound. Don't worry, it's all good.

yes some PSUs cause different tones of coil whine in a system

no way of knowing though, its just random

thats also why some PSUs cause coil while and some others dont

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Bigger fans generally make less noise. But different whines and such will come from different PSUs.

When you look at corsair's 200mm fans that come with the 650D....

NOPENOPENOPENOPE

They have a terrible whirring noise.

but different power supplies do have slightly different fan noises and switchmode (fancy term for this type of power supply) noise.

- The internal layout of the power supply may differ, in which may had increase turbulence noises in the larger wattage unit.

- Noise can also be affected by the fan grill. Airflow when using a wire grill like the ones used in BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 10, Corsair RMi, Antec HCP Platinum, etc, are less restrictive and can help reduce audible noise in comparison to the honeycomb grill that is used in the Cooler Master GM series, Seasonic X/P, etc.

- Noises are more distinctive in certain types of fan bearings. Like 2BB fan are susceptible to bearing noises at lower RPM, where you may hear the metal bearing moving about.

- Efficiency can contribute to noise levels, as a more efficient unit does produce less heat.

- A higher wattage unit will generate more heat at 100% load than a lower wattage unit at 100%, thus a more powerful fan that has a higher startup voltage may be required to effectively cool it, and this may make it louder even at lower loads.

- How the fan profile is program by the manufacturer in respect to the fan use can determine the units overall noise level . While a larger fan can move the same amount of air at lower RPM (thus making it potentially quieter), it is louder at the same RPM as it is moving more air.  Even though the XFX XTR 650w unit is a more efficient unit (will generate less heat) and have a larger 135 mm FDB fan, the Cooler Master G550M was still quieter than it with a 120 mm 2BB fan and a bronze rating. The XTR 650w had shown to spun up to 1945RPM at 60% load (~390wDC) at an ambient temperature of ~41.5C, while the CM G550M has shown to spun up to 1915RPM at 100% load at a higher ambient temp. of ~46C.

There may be other factors that can contribute to a power supplies noise profile, but I can't think of anything else atm.