PhysX slave?

Wishiwasdead

so a lil story 1st... i was running 2 GTX 680s in SLI when i first built my rig... i fried one of my 680s (dont ask) and bought two GTX 780s and im currently running thoughs in SLI, and i still have the one good 680 sitting in a box somewhere.... 

so anyways to the question... what is a PhysX slave, what does it do, and how do i use it, and do i need it, and can i use my old GTX 680 as the PhysX slave for my 780s...?

No Excuses, Play Like A Champion!!!  

so a lil story 1st... i was running 2 GTX 680s in SLI when i first built my rig... i fried one of my 680s and bought two GTX 780s and im currently running thoughs in SLI, and i still have the one good 680 sitting in a box somewhere.... 

so anyways to the question... what is a PhysX slave, what does it do, and how do i use it, and do i need it, and can i use my old GTX 680 as the PhysX slave for my 780s...?

I don't really think it's worth it. I'd take a look at this video from a while ago. It should explain enough about having  a dedicated card for PhysX and will demonstrate that if you have a slower card as a PhysX slave it doesn't seem to be worth it and that you may experience worse performance.

I have a feeling that if anything it's just becoming less and less beneficial.

Sig under construction.

You can, it won't do much though given PhysX never saw widespread use.  The largest benefit is in Borderlands 2 and I really doubt a GTX 780 SLi needs any additional help with that game.  The extra heat from the card is probably a greater concern than the benefit.

Try it and if you get lower FPS just screw it.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I don't really think it's worth it. I'd take a look at this video from a while ago.

I have a feeling that if anything it's just becoming less and less beneficial.

well i already have the card... its just goin to sit in a box until its literally not worth anything... if i can throw it back in my PC, even if i only get 1 more frame per second, there is no reason not to...

I don't think it's worth it. Your gpus are plenty fast to handle PhysX along with the game engine.

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

The 780 has PhysX built in, so...

The performance improvement isn't that high anyway.

nvidia does, however specifically say that two non-matching GPUs can be used where one is for rendering and one PhysX. This works in SLI also.

https://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_faq.html#q4

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

Idk everyone has been pretty clear: putting the 680 in your system has the added benefit of increasing your power consumption and heat generation.

There are so few games that use it, you are literally better off keeping it in the box.

well it will be fun to throw it in there and see anyways... although i probably wont leave it in there... but that has to do with me not wanting to redo my water loops more then anything else...

but yeah just did a PSU calculator... and that will more then likely be to much for my PSU... so i guess im just scraping this whole idea...

thanks for the info though...

OK Second Question.... in the setting options on Nvidia control panel, what should the PhysX be set to then? because right now its on 'auto' but then below that you can see that it has selected gpu #2 to handle the PhysX... does that mean, thats the only thing that card is doing?

PhysX%20I_zpsut7pwdvp.jpg

PhysX%20II_zpspbxh4uqu.jpg