Google patents hologram enabled Google Glass

TopWargamer

Source: http://www.androidauthority.com/google-glass-hologram-patent-646996/

Patent page: http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.html&r=36&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PG01&S1=((%22Google%22.AS.)+AND+%40PD%3E%3D20151001%3C%3D20151001)&OS=AN/%22Google%22+AND+PD/10/1/2015-%3C10/1/2015&RS=(AN/%22Google%22+AND+PD/20151001-%3C20151001)

Google has been very hush hush about Google Glass for the last little while, but it appears that they are still working on it. A new patent shows that Google intends to enable holographic projections on the Google Glass. They essentially want to turn Glass into an augmented reality device. The patent would allow a device to overlay CGI objects on top of real world objects to create a 3D HUD (heads up display). The new design of Glass (assuming) would also allow for a wider field of view, better efficiency, and will be easier to wear

So, it seems that Google stayed hush hush about Glass so they could drop this bomb on us. Personally I thought Glass was a cool concept to begin with, but making it more of an augmented reality device makes more sense to me. I'm excited. I'm just worried about how much it'll cost. Would you buy an AR ready Google Glass?

Also, there's a Tech Quickie relevant to this topic.

COMIC SANS

Can't wait to see some demo of it.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

So... Google want to turn Google Glass into Holo-lens basically.

Pretty much, hope they do it well. Cause man, all Google Glass did was give me the urge to punch people in the face...but that's a personal problem lol.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Competitions is good. Hopefully the competition between this and the hololens forces both companies to improve the usability, features, UI, and size and formfactor. 

The dream is a pair of normal looking glasses that can achieve more than what Holo Lens delivers. 

So... Google want to turn Google Glass into Holo-lens basically.

They were both in development at the same time.

can't really say that.

They were both in development at the same time.

can't really say that.

Not to cause useless arguments but you're not correct. The hololens camera tech evolved from the kinect from 2007 and officially began devlopment in 2010. In 2012 Google released its first concept video of what Google Glass could be (and it showed no actual google glass product, only an After Effects video of what Google Glass could be). Then at I/O 2012 Google showed a bunch of extreme sports where the only functionality of the glass was to record video and be a GoPro. By 2014 the Glass Explorer program was dead and the design and iteration of the device showed zero sign of incorporating AR. 

Using this information it is a safe bet that Google didn't start trying to incorporate AR into Glass until Fadell recovered the project in January of this year. This is the same month that Microsoft unveiled the HoloLens

Not to cause useless arguments but you're not correct. The hololens camera tech evolved from the kinect from 2007 and officially began devlopment in 2010. In 2012 Google released its first concept video of what Google Glass could be (and it showed no actual google glass product, only an After Effects video of what Google Glass could be). Then at I/O 2012 Google showed a bunch of extreme sports where the only functionality of the glass was to record video and be a GoPro. By 2014 the Glass Explorer program was dead and the design and iteration of the device showed zero sign of incorporating AR. 

Using this information it is a safe bet that Google didn't start trying to incorporate AR into Glass until Fadell recovered the project in January of this year. This is the same month that Microsoft unveiled the HoloLens

When did the public first learn of holo lens? i don't remember ever hearing of it xD 

When did the public first learn of holo lens? i don't remember ever hearing of it xD 

It was at the Windows 10 Press Event in late January of this year. That's where they announced W10 features like Cortana and Continuum as well as the HoloLens and the Surface Hub. 

Although I want google to succeed just because of their often superior ethics, I believe Microsoft has been far more focused and will probably have the better AR. People who have used Microsoft Hololens pretty much say it does everything Microsoft claims it does, but on the other hand, Google Glass has a very... controversial... history. 

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.