NEED HELP... which is better UPGRADE/ADD New RAM

XeneAsh

The OP did not ask if he should buy a new laptop, rather he asked about memory upgrade. You seem to have overlooked the obvious. I am sure that your option has value to someone. You seem to be on the cutting edge of tech opinions. I'm gonna throw you a bone. Don't make accusations about people you do know. FYI: I have been building PC's since the early 1980's. I am fluent in BASIC, BASIC66, CBASIC ,COBAL and variants,SPL (look it up) Altair BASIC,FORTRAN & variants, C, C++, C#, Cocoa, DOS and variants, Linux, and sever others. I worked in the industry for over 3 decades made my retirement with Y2K and I am still a CURRENT Microsoft TECH NET member as well as a developer.. Don't imply to me that I am the reason Microsoft has automatic updates. You are obviously caught up in the newer is better. I have realize that I have perhaps violated 2 of my personal rules with this post (Don't respond to trolls and never get into a battle of the wits with an unarmed opponent) but you went where someone with you apparent intelligence should not have gone. I apologize to the other forum users for my rant. P.S. I don't think that I would EVER need your help kid. :-)

I am not a kid or a troll. AND i've just had it. You ever hear the saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"? You might want to look at yourself. I don't buy things because newer is better but still be real!

Good for you! Guess what? What your seeing is my second attempt at posting this because the forum is so broken!

ANd don't worry I'll make sure i don't run into you EVER again. I am not running bleeding edge hardware.

I just don't have the energy to be mad at you.

I can imply whatever i want. Your ignorance and lack of motivation to upgrade/update hardware or software is what caused Microsoft to introduce automatic updating.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

• 2 weeks later...

His laptop is antiquated. His laptop's CPU is mediocre at best. Coming from 1st gen to current (6th gen) would have a massive upgrade. He doesn't have a badass laptop.  A badass laptop has dual GTX 980Ms , desktop CPU , 32gb ram etc. He needs to upgrade.

A badass laptop doesn't mean a NASA laptop, you don't  need to have an SLI GTX 980M in order to have a beast. Those specs are top of the line, so that means in a year or so, they'll release some Titans Mobile GPU, or Quaddro beast Mobile GPU, or even GTX 1000 series Mobile, so you're saying that in a year or two from now, an SLI GTX 980M won't be badass. The term beast or badass doesn't mean the best posible 6000$ laptop, it means faster and more powerful hardware than the average laptop. By the way a 6th gen CPU isn't that much faster than a 1st gen; Of course is faster, but best  case scenario we're talking about a 30% gain in performance within 5 years. Just take a look at a i7 2600K and a 6700K, there's about 4 year difference, yes, the 6700K runs cooler, 14 nm vs 32 nm, faster clock speed, much less power required etc etc, but if we talk about performance, it's only about 20% gain maybe...so if you already have a good CPU, the need of purchasing 6th gen CPU is a little bit pointless taking into acount the cost..and more important if we're talking about laptops, those are expensive as hell, if you relly think a 4000$ laptop with skylake cpu, 32gb ddr4 ram and sli gtx 980m is worth... With that budget I would rather spend 3400$ on a watercooled 5960x, 64gb ddr4 ram and a gtx 980 ti and spend the rest on a 600$ laptop. We're just being practical here, the point is if for 100$ more he can squeeze the laptop for 5 years more then go on.