What's the best find you've had?

The Official Czex
Go to solution Solved by HeyLookAGinger,

A couple years ago a few friends and i were driving around just hanging out when we saw this huge old CRT tv on the side of the road. My tv that i had at the time was too small to really play split screen xbox on comfortably, so we decided to grab the tv. The tv was too big to fit into the trunk of the car we were in and my house was about a mile away so we drove back, picked up this gardening wagon (think something the size of those old radio flyer wagons exept more heavy duty and with offroad tires.) and ratchet strapped that sucker to it.

Now just imagine a group of teenagers pulling that thing through suburban neighborhood streets at 1am. 

When we got it back to my house it took several of us to carry it up a couple flights of stairs. I swear it weighed atleast 180lbs. I dont really remember much more about that night but I do remember that it worked like a charm after that.

The tv is actually still at my house today because its so heavy and too bulky to move without a couple other people. 

The actual tv wasn't that great of a find because even when we picked it up it was already really outdated, but it was more of the experience  of getting it that made it the best thing ive found..

Regarding this thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/460512-dumpster-diving-for-electronics/

What's the best thing you've found while "dumpster diving" as far as computers go?

I've never done it, so I can't contribute. 

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

I found a computer on the side of the road that was going to be picked up for trash that day. I carried it about 2 miles home (keep in mind this thing weighed at least 30lbs) and I cracked it open and after about 40 minutes of trouble shooting I got it to boot. Got inside the OS (XP) and was able to play Duke Nukem 3D on a NVIDIA TNT2. The system since has been thrown away but the TNT2 sits on my shelf. <3

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

2x x4 9550 systems

2x 9300 GEs

2x AM2 mobos

2x 300w PSUs

1x blue ray drive

1x DVD drive

~15gb of ddr2

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

$270 Turtle beach headphones, not a great brand but free is free, someone broke the headband but a little tape was all that was needed to fix it.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I haven't been dumpster diving that much but I'd like to start. Anybody know where good places to dive are?

I haven't been dumpster diving that much but I'd like to start. Anybody know where good places to dive are?

I would like to know this as well. I kind of want to do a free PC ultimate build.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

probably my 24" samsung LCD tv that I've been using as a secondary monitor for 5+ years

only 768p but very useful for watching stuff on the side

works perfectly and cost $0

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Mostly old stuff, pre-pentuim 4 era and computers with <20GB hard drives.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

A couple years ago a few friends and i were driving around just hanging out when we saw this huge old CRT tv on the side of the road. My tv that i had at the time was too small to really play split screen xbox on comfortably, so we decided to grab the tv. The tv was too big to fit into the trunk of the car we were in and my house was about a mile away so we drove back, picked up this gardening wagon (think something the size of those old radio flyer wagons exept more heavy duty and with offroad tires.) and ratchet strapped that sucker to it.

Now just imagine a group of teenagers pulling that thing through suburban neighborhood streets at 1am. 

When we got it back to my house it took several of us to carry it up a couple flights of stairs. I swear it weighed atleast 180lbs. I dont really remember much more about that night but I do remember that it worked like a charm after that.

The tv is actually still at my house today because its so heavy and too bulky to move without a couple other people. 

The actual tv wasn't that great of a find because even when we picked it up it was already really outdated, but it was more of the experience  of getting it that made it the best thing ive found..

That's really amazing. I love these kinds of things: when materialism just can't beat the experience. 

Found a pair of good monitors for cheap at the local SOS...

also found a few C2D and C2Q systems for less than 80USD...

I had another time where i knew a guy who had a pre-built gaming pc from origin and apparently it stopped working and he threw it outside and it was left out there for about a year through the winter. He decided to give it away for free to one of my friends so my friend and I headed out and dug it out from two and a half feet of snow, and brought it back to his house. We cleaned it off, dried it out, and put it back together. The only part that turned out to be bad was the hard drive, so for the price of a new hard drive and a copy of windows. (about $180 when all was said and done) my friend was able to pick up a gaming computer that had an unlocked i5 processor, an AIO water cooler, 8gb of corsair vengeance RAM, and an EVGA super clocked 650ti, all in a bitfenix prodigy m case.

He still has it today and its running strong.

I had another time where i knew a guy who had a pre-built gaming pc from origin and apparently it stopped working and he threw it outside and it was left out there for about a year through the winter. He decided to give it away for free to one of my friends so my friend and I headed out and dug it out from two and a half feet of snow, and brought it back to his house. We cleaned it off, dried it out, and put it back together. The only part that turned out to be bad was the hard drive, so for the price of a new hard drive and a copy of windows. (about $180 when all was said and done) my friend was able to pick up a gaming computer that had an unlocked i5 processor, an AIO water cooler, 8gb of corsair vengeance RAM, and an EVGA super clocked 650ti, all in a bitfenix prodigy m case.

He still has it today and its running strong.

Jeez... That sounds amazing, bro.

About 15 assorted AMD Socket A (462) CPUs (Athlon, Athlon XP, Duron)

About 15 assorted Intel Pentium 1 ceramic CPUs.

2 AMD K6-2 CPUs.

1 IBM CPU. (72 MHz)

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM