Where is the best Price/Performance ratio when it comes to headphones?

fishymamba

Hey guys! So about a month and a half ago I finally upgrade from my 3 year old set of Sony MDR-V6s to the Hifiman-HE-400. 

At first I was kinda disappointed in the sound. It was not feeling that much "better" than my old headphones, but after a few days I started to recognize how much better they actually were. And now, I am 100% sure they are MUCH MUCH better than the V6s.

I am so happy with the headphones and my old headphones are just collecting dust, they will probably be never used again(nice to have a backup pair though!). But now I am already looking at what else is out there and what I want to upgrade to next.

My question is: Is there a point after which there is not much improvement in sound quality, but the price skyrockets? I'm having trouble imagining how much better sound can get than the HE-400.

At $250 these were a really good buy in my opinion, but what about those headphones that go for around $600. Will I feel much of an improvement. I'm mainly looking at the rest of the Hifiman lineup since I like these headphones so much, but what else could be considered the next step after the HE-400. Thanks for the help!  

I'm also thinking of upgrading my DAC+Amp soon. I love the Fiio E10 I have, but I really want to try a tube amplifier. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

$300-500 I'd say. Part of the problem is that headphone prices are rather inflated as it is, so the TOTL $1000+ flagships don't always offer as much improvement as their price would suggest.

$300-500 I'd say. Part of the problem is that headphone prices are rather inflated as it is, so the TOTL $1000+ flagships don't always offer as much improvement as their price would suggest.

Buh-bu-bu-but my magical unicorn drivers make sound 6 dimensional...

@OP

I agree with @SSL, the best area seems to be around $300-500 before diminishing returns really set in.  Once you start spending more you're mainly going after certain sound signatures, not really so much performance anymore.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Thanks for the info guys. I'm kind of wishing now that I saved up a bit more and bought the HE-400i instead. 

What about on the amplifier/DAC side of things. Is my Fiio E10 powerful enough to drive something like the 400is? I read that the higher end Hifimans require a ton of power. I really want to try a tube amp and see how they sound. I feel that the E10 makes everything sound a bit dark.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Thanks for the info guys. I'm kind of wishing now that I saved up a bit more and bought the HE-400i instead. 

What about on the amplifier/DAC side of things. Is my Fiio E10 powerful enough to drive something like the 400is? I read that the higher end Hifimans require a ton of power. I really want to try a tube amp and see how they sound. I feel that the E10 makes everything sound a bit dark.

E10 would probably do fine.

I definitely agree with SSL on this one. Also, Audeze recently came out with a $4,000 headphone called the LCD-4... I want to listen to it, but that is soooooo much money... Especially since you can get a really nice electrostat and energizer for that kind of money... (or a whole stable of very competent headphones)

The E10 should be fine. I use an SMSL SD 793-II with my HE-500, so I doubt you would have any trouble. As far as Hifiman goes, I would say that the HE-500 makes sense for the money, as it sounds really, really good. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)