What's the best combo of microphone and around-hear headphones one can get for around $500?

I've been looking at a pair of Sennheiser 363Ds to buy in a few months. However, after hearing Linus and other people talk about headphones it dawned upon me, perhaps a headset would not be as good a choice as a pair of headphones w/ a microphone. My primary use for this would be for gaming (All sorts). 

EDIT: Wow you guys respond fast.

Asus vulcans!

Cheap but very good!

I was thinking about getting Vulcans, as my build is around the Asus ROG series, however that is a headset (And I stated above that I'd like the get headphones w/ a mic).

You could get a pait of Sennheiser HD600 with a modmic or very good USB desk mic. But do you have a dedicated soundcard?

Those Sennheisers do look appealing. The modmic is definitely something I should get. I don't have a dedicated soundcard, the closest to that is the SupremeFX that comes with the Maximus V Formula.

I was thinking about getting Vulcans, as my build is around the Asus ROG series, however that is a headset (And I stated above that I'd like the get headphones w/ a mic).

Those Sennheisers do look appealing. The modmic is definitely something I should get. I don't have a dedicated soundcard, the closest to that is the SupremeFX that comes with the Maximus V Formula.

I can't guarantee hd600s will get loud enough on that onboard. You'll have to be my guinea pig and find out.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

The Supreme FX is a very good onboard soolution, but it doesn't touch a dedicated soundcard. You could probably use the HD 600's very well with Supreme FX, but I would recommend you getting a dedicated soundcard as fast as possible. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

I can't guarantee hd600s will get loud enough on that onboard. You'll have to be my guinea pig and find out.

We'll see, if I do get them, I'll come right back to this thread and make an update.

The Supreme FX is a very good onboard soolution, but it doesn't touch a dedicated soundcard. You could probably use the HD 600's very well with Supreme FX, but I would recommend you getting a dedicated soundcard as fast as possible. 

I know I'll be getting a sound card near the end of fall (Probably Xonar Phoebus), so that problem is out of the way. I was looking at the Sennheiser page and found that there was also HD650s. Are those a big difference compared to the HD600s?

I know I'll be getting a sound card near the end of fall (Probably Xonar Phoebus), so that problem is out of the way. I was looking at the Sennheiser page and found that there was also HD650s. Are those a big difference compared to the HD600s?

They do sound better, but but for use with a PC I recommend sticking to the HD 600's. You will need much better gear than what you can put in a PC to hear the difference between the HD 600's and the HD 650's.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

They do sound better, but but for use with a PC I recommend sticking to the HD 600's. You will need much better gear than what you can put in a PC to hear the difference between the HD 600's and the HD 650's.

Will do, thanks for the advice.

Not really a big enough difference for $100 more too. Either would be fine on fancy soundcards, though. Or cheap ones, for that matter, that have headphone amps.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

NwAvGuy made a review of the HD 650 here, and made numerous comparisons to other high end head phones including the HD 600.

Would have though something like a Shure 1440 would be a better option, doesn't need as much of a beefy sound card to drive it but would benefit from one if you choose to get one later down the line.

Headset

I guess if I had $500 I'd find a cheap AKG K702 (or K601 at >$230) on ebay and get an O2+ODAC.

Or perhaps since you'll want plenty of bloom, a Beyerdynamic DT880 or DT990 250Ohm  and a FiiO E10.  You could do that one for under $270 frankly with the 990pro.

Denon D600

&

Audio-technica AT2020

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)