4670k vs 6600k price/perf comparison

KenJimmY
Go to solution Solved by WereCat,

4670k is better price/performance.

You get newer features on Z170 though but that depends on you if you think they are worth €60 extra. For me they don't.

#1 i5 4670k + Asus Z87 Pro317 Euro

vs

#2 i5 6600k + Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 = 385 Euro

(i only care about the OC features and how close they are to one another performance wise , once overclocked to .. say 4.5Ghz and probably will delid the cpu for better/even better temps anyway ; i have a NH-D14)

CPU : i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Cooler : NH-D14 | GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 [OC] | MB : Asus Z87-Pro | RAM : A-DATA 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 XPG Black | SSD : 850Evo 250GB

You get newer features on Z170 though but that depends on you if you think they are worth €60 extra. For me they don't.

in USD, if you are looking at the 4790k, and a gigabyte gaming 5 board with 8GB of RAM, it is only an extra 50 USD to go to the 6600k, the gaming 5 Z170 and 8GB DDR4

EDIT: I MADE A TYPO, I MEANT THE 4690k I5

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

http://pclab.pl/zdjecia/artykuly/radek/2015/skylake/charts/def/b4.png

97.8 fps @ 385 euro vs. 83.5 fps @ 317.Price/performance is actually pretty much the same (0.254 fps/euro vs. 0.263 fps/euro). Check sig for more benchmarks, skylake is however much newer and would be the preferred system to go for.

50 more USD to get an i5? lol @Stardar1

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

97.8 fps @ 385 euro vs. 83.5 fps @ 317.Price/performance is actually pretty much the same (0.254 fps/euro vs. 0.263 fps/euro). Check sig for more benchmarks, skylake is however much newer and would be the preferred system to go for.

One game... LOL. Most game have little to no difference.

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

One game... LOL. Most game have little to no difference.

Learn to read, i said check sig for more benchmarks. Games not having differences is due to most benchmarks being ran on non-intensive games, indoors and in single player. These have larger contrast, sure, but they're more accurate.

50 more USD to get an i5? lol @Stardar1

for the 6600k vs the 4690k

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

for the 6600k vs the 4690k

He wrote 4790k.

Spoiler

thank you all for replying n_n

CPU : i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Cooler : NH-D14 | GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 [OC] | MB : Asus Z87-Pro | RAM : A-DATA 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 XPG Black | SSD : 850Evo 250GB

He wrote 4790k.

shoot! i made a typo, meant the 4690k

Solitaire. 

Np. Just didn't check America's Prices so I actually thought you could buy an i7 for that price.

Spoiler

That's one game. Also BF4 is known to perform better with faster RAM which may be also a big factor in this benchmark.

You won't see difference in most games however.

So the price/performance will be different for each game and overall better for 4690k.

Edit:

I haven't seen your signature as they don't show for me on phone but from benchmarks I have seen they were about the same performance in most games... Few exceptions for Skylake being faster.

You won't see difference in most games however.

That says more about the games than the CPU. The Skylake CPU is significantly faster in games where it matters, and those are the games you should look at when determining value for money, not the games where it doesn't matter anyway.

Here is the signature link

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/443567-lets-put-this-to-rest-build-%C3%BCber-4k-pc-now-or-wait-for-pascal-arcitc-island-direct-x12-vs-mantle/page-4#entry5946965

#1 i5 4670k + Asus Z87 Pro =  317 Euro

vs

#2 i5 6600k + Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 = 385 Euro

(i only care about the OC features and how close they are to one another performance wise , once overclocked to .. say 4.5Ghz and probably will delid the cpu for better/even better temps anyway ; i have a NH-D14)

option #2 is worth the extra $ mate.

it will be relevant longer.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

That says more about the games than the CPU. The Skylake CPU is significantly faster in games where it matters, and those are the games you should look at when determining value for money, not the games where it doesn't matter anyway.

Here is the signature link

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/443567-lets-put-this-to-rest-build-%C3%BCber-4k-pc-now-or-wait-for-pascal-arcitc-island-direct-x12-vs-mantle/page-4#entry5946965

Interesting. Who is source for these benchmarks?

Though I would still argue that pouring that extra €60 into GPU would give you better performance benefit than putting it into CPU.

Interesting. Who is source for these benchmarks?

Though I would still argue that pouring that extra €60 into GPU would give you better performance benefit than putting it into CPU.

pclab.pl, though the digitalfoundry video will show the same results.

And that depends on the pricepoints. If you can already afford a 970 or 390, adding 60 euro doesn't really do much.