Is it worth buying a 4K monitor now?

carlosmnm

I have 2015 MacBook and the resolution is amazing. I want to get a new monitor for my PC to looking equally as beautiful. I want a monitor that is 4k resolution. My questions.

What is the cheapest and best 4k monitor right now?

Should i wait for Black Friday which is in less than 2 months?

Will there be a monitor out by the end of this year that is 120hz? Does 120z or 60z make a difference in around 25" monitor?

Thank you!

For 4k, there won't be 120 or 144Hz for awhile unfortunately... As far as I know, Displayport, HDMI, etc have not caught up yet.  And to get those framerates in modern games, you would need a beast of a computer... I have dual 980 Ti's and a 4k monitor, and a few new games still lag maxed out occasionally - at that's at 60Hz.

I got the U28D590D by Samsung last year, but there are better options out there now.  Dell makes a 4k IPS monitor (better looking than the Samsung's TN panel).  It all depends on your budget.  You might want to wait til black friday, it wouldn't surprise me if you could save $100-200 on one...

For 4k, there won't be 120 or 144Hz for awhile unfortunately... As far as I know, Displayport, HDMI, etc have not caught up yet.  And to get those framerates in modern games, you would need a beast of a computer... I have dual 980 Ti's and a 4k monitor, and a few new games still lag maxed out occasionally - at that's at 60Hz.

I got the U28D590D by Samsung last year, but there are better options out there now.  Dell makes a 4k IPS monitor (better looking than the Samsung's TN panel).  It all depends on your budget.  You might want to wait til black friday, it wouldn't surprise me if you could save $100-200 on one...

oh ok THANK YOU. i really don't want to use it for gaming, just for photo/ video editing, youtube videos and just a crispy screen lol. If i did use it for gaming, i can still play at regular 1080p till i upgrade specs right? 

oh ok THANK YOU. i really don't want to use it for gaming, just for photo/ video editing, youtube videos and just a crispy screen lol. If i did use it for gaming, i can still play at regular 1080p till i upgrade specs right? 

Sure, you could play at 1080p, 1440p, etc until you upgrade.  It was kinda the same for me, I just got mine for programming and had it hooked up to a laptop for almost a year, then built a gaming pc later

Sure, you could play at 1080p, 1440p, etc until you upgrade.  It was kinda the same for me, I just got mine for programming and had it hooked up to a laptop for almost a year, then built a gaming pc later

So with my computer rn, if i had a 4k monitor, the screen would look 4k? My computer specs are above average, and I'm confused on how it would work lol What cable would need to be connected from my computer to monitor for it to look 4k? Rn I'm using a DVMI connector.

to achieve 4k you just need a HDMI cable which supports 4k resolution.

On a PC, you can configure the resolution to its highest, and Windows will scale everything to that resolution.

If you used a 4k monitor with your PC, the resolution of the PC will be the same, but the montior will be 4k.

For productivity, yes it is.
For gaming, no not really in my opinion..

Until I can get (a) 144hz 4k monitor and (2) a gpu that can do that i'm staying with 1440p 144hz

edit- can't do "b" without making a smiley emoji lol

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k