XBOX 360 - PC Mod. Plex Client. Project *CELL*

PBaines

So while waiting for my some parts to come in from England, and America for my desk I decided I need a new project.
I had an RROD Xbox 360 laying around, seeing a few build across the internet with builds in an XBOX 360 shell, however none of them "pleased" me. While they were cool and original, none had the "awesome" factor. None had the "clean" factor. 
That being said, I am hoping to change that. By doing an awesome mod! This build will be my Plex Client (for those who do not know what Plex is, basically it is the best streaming client/server ever for media http://www.plexapp.com/) that will access all of my content off of my file server built in an R4.

This will be a more "stealth" mod. I won't be having a window on it, won't be showing the insides. I want it to look like a plan old boring XBOX 360 but have the insides of a beast.

Since there are all ready things included in the shell that I can use, ie, Power button with Green LED's. Front USB 2.0 as well as a DVD Drive, I will try and incoporate those all into this build (except the drive, that is looking very unlikely due to the size of everything)

Specs:
ASRock H77M-ITX 1155 Motherboard
Intel Pentium 645 (Dual core 2.90GHZ, more than enough for the build)
Generic 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333mhz 
Intel 530 120GB SSD (Thanks @lutro0customs )

200w Pico Power Supply

Was going to put an Asus Xonar STX in it but unfortunately the 24 Pin goes the wrong way!
However I MAY make a 24-pin Extension that will allow me to reverse it so I can have the motherboard on the right side allowing me to use a 90-degree PCI Adapter to make the Xonar fit.

Anyways; a few photo's!
NOTE: The desk is PRIORITY and will always do my desk over this project :)

The RROD Beast. The original white XBOX 360
IMG_7528.jpg

Next we have the power supply. It's the smallest, not the most highest of wattage output however perfect for a build like this!
With 24-pin; Molex; Sata; 4-pin CPU; FDD connections this thing packs a lot of punch for the small cost of $80 NZD. 
IMG_7530.jpg

IMG_7509.jpg

IMG_7510.jpg

Next we have the motherboard. Never realised how small ITX was!
IMG_7507.jpg

IMG_7506.jpg

I didn't even know that Intel still made Pentium CPU's...
IMG_7505.jpg

A test fit. Everything fits in lovely, height of the heatsink is no issue either!
IMG_7514.jpg

IMG_7525.jpg

looking forward to this. what will it be used for? would be cool if you can make a windowes side panel.

just found at what plex is.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

this is gona be so stealthy.. i love mods. thanks for sharing!

Rig

Spoiler

CPU: 4770k @ 4.2GHz 1.15v | Mobo: ASUS z87 Sabertooth | Cooler: Corsair H110 | RAM: Vengeance 32GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz | GPU: GIGABYTE G1 GTX 1070 | Storage: Samsung 840 series 250GB SSD, Seagate 2TB SSHD, Seagate 4.25TB HDD | PSU: Corsair AX850 80+ gold modu | Case: Corsair 650d | Keyboard: Corsair K65 RGB Cherry MX Reds & a Leopold 210TP Numberpad Cherry MX Blues | Mouse: Logitech G502, DECHANIC desk mat | Monitor: 2x Dell IPS 23" S2340m & ASUS 144hz 24" VG248QE | Speakers: CA-3602a | Headset: Steelseries Syberia v2 Frost Blue OS: Win 10 Pro 

this is gona be so stealthy.. i love mods. thanks for sharing!

Course! I love sharing my builds with the community :)

Stealth and sleek  :ph34r: 

Boxtastic! <-Hoped that make sense

Welcome to my profile!
There's nothing much to see, but I have provided my birthday.
Hope you'll remember my Birthday xD

looks awesome man nice job! :P

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

Damn, now I want to do something like this.  I can see it now... APU for light gaming, sleeved cables, and a sexy ITX mobo = WIN

Looking forward to seeing more.

Damn, now I want to do something like this.  I can see it now... APU for light gaming, sleeved cables, and a sexy ITX mobo = WIN

APUs are good for moderate gaming, not light. Most games on medium settings, some on high.

A10-6800k with 2400mhz memory will do most games fine.

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

So far this looks like the stealthiest XBox 360 mod I have seen, I think you can even fit a regular SATA3 SSD below the Pico PSU without any modding if you just take it out of the casing.

Dude this is awesome, it shows how tiny mitx really can be, as well as some extreme/unexpected case modding. And as failwheeldrive posted above, this idea with a AMD A10 APU, maybe a higher watage power supply and discrete gpu via ribboning or the like, would be ungodly, especially when you fool friends and family into thinking you hacked an xbox 360 for windows or trick them into thinking yours is somehow better than most. But of course it is only possible as space, power, budget, and time allows.

Can't wait to see more!

I would sleeve the cables and do every sexy thing to it, however with no window to this I really do not think that putting all the effort in to it looking nice inside would be worthy in the end, as no one will ever see it!

APUs are good for moderate gaming, not light. Most games on medium settings, some on high.

A10-6800k with 2400mhz memory will do most games fine.

I was considering APU. But since it's a Plex Client I won't be doing any gaming on it :)

So far this looks like the stealthiest XBox 360 mod I have seen, I think you can even fit a regular SATA3 SSD below the Pico PSU without any modding if you just take it out of the casing.

Yeah, the SSD will fit in there just fine with no extra modding. After putting everything in the case I was surprised that there was still room!

Dude this is awesome, it shows how tiny mitx really can be, as well as some extreme/unexpected case modding. And as failwheeldrive posted above, this idea with a AMD A10 APU, maybe a higher watage power supply and discrete gpu via ribboning or the like, would be ungodly, especially when you fool friends and family into thinking you hacked an xbox 360 for windows or trick them into thinking yours is somehow better than most. But of course it is only possible as space, power, budget, and time allows.

Can't wait to see more!

As above, I was considering APU however with no gaming intended on it, it would be pointless. All this has to do is stream content off my Plex Server :) Yeah I could have bought a WD LIve, or Roku box for $80 but I like doing mods :D

That's looking boss!

I was actually considering for a long time to buy a XBOX 360 just to do a mini ITX build..... You may have just given me that extra push  :D

Keep up the good work!

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Don't you have a totally sexy desk build to get busy on? JK I cant wait to see the end of this

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Don't you have a totally sexy desk build to get busy on? JK I cant wait to see the end of this

Read the top line of the OP lol :P

this is making me wanting to buy a rrod xbox ;)

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

Bloody awesome! Can't wait for the finished mod, I expect it to be as awesome as your desk build! 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

"STUPID XBOX......ah ha you have bein deceived all along it is a beast computer" ;) nice build man 

Nice project, hopefully won't red ring on you haha

Looking forward to more

This it very nice already, can't wait to see the end result!

CPU: i5 4670K, Mobo: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB, GPU: Asus 280X, Case: Fractal Design XLR2, SSD: 840 evo 120GB, HDD: 2x 1TB Seagate, PSU: Corsair RM750, Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo