Linux OS/Windows OS/OS X for Software Engineer

Ryou-kun

Hello LTT,

For everyone who is a Software Engineer. Which OS do you guys use for Programming and why?

For me, I am trying to get into a Software Engineer major field, and I can't decide which OS I should go for and a good Programming Software for that OS.

Thank you very much. 

I use IMG_0309.jpg

If you wanna be a good SE, then you have to understand how any popular OS works and be competent in programming for all of them.

I would suggest having a windows machine and maybe another one with linux or osx, you can also use oracle virtualbox to compile and test your code.

As for me, I use OSx mainly, but I also have a linux machine for some strong computations (dual xeon based).

I haven't used Linux but I here it's great for software based programming. I only code web based languages so for me the OS has no impact.

TheGrim123321

CPU: I3-4170Cooler: Hyper TX3Mobo:Biostar B85MGMemory: G.Skill Ripjaw 2x4GBStorage: Barracuda 500GBGPU: Zotac GTX660Case: Fractal 1100PSU: Evga 500WMonitors: FHX2153L 21.5"│V193WEJb 19"Keyboard/Mouse: CMStorm DevastorAudio: MonoPrice 8323Microphone: BlueYeti BlackoutOS: MSX(Win10) Quote me or @TheGrim123321 to get my attention.

Hello LTT,

For everyone who is a Software Engineer. Which OS do you guys use for Programming and why?

For me, I am trying to get into a Software Engineer major field, and I can't decide which OS I should go for and a good Programming Software for that OS.

Thank you very much. 

Windows and Ubuntu, they each have their own strengths and weaknesses. Depending on what your programming, you might be able to use both.

If you wanna be a good SE, then you have to understand how any popular OS works and be competent in programming for all of them.

I would suggest having a windows machine and maybe another one with linux or osx, you can also use oracle virtualbox to compile and test your code.

As for me, I use OSx mainly, but I also have a linux machine for some strong computations (dual xeon based).

Makes sense.

I am using VirtualBox (barely) with only Ubuntu OS on it. Trying to find a good Linux OS that is great for Programming yet moderately understandable about the UI and stuff.

How is the OS X? Is it worth learning?

I did thought about trying to go all-in OS X by grabbing MacBook Air or Pro for it. Of course, the price stopped me. 

Linux and Windows, because they are server platforms and I work with server stuff, I don't write apps or anything. I prefer Linux to Windows because Linux is IMHO more capable and flexible as a server and development platform than Windows.

Makes sense.

I am using VirtualBox (barely) with only Ubuntu OS on it. Trying to find a good Linux OS that is great for Programming yet moderately understandable about the UI and stuff.

I did thought about trying to go all-in OS X by grabbing MacBook Air or Pro for it. Of course, the price stopped me. 

Try newer crunchbang, puppylinux, linux mint or, lastly, lubuntu. Use this website to get into a little bit.

Almost every compiler has it's analogs for windows, linux and osx, so you just recompile it and u're good to go. But there can be difficulties sometimes.

Finally, what do u code on depends on who's going to use this product.

For example, in USA osx is a lot more popular than in Ukraine or Russia.

I'd start with windows anyways.

I use linux vm on a windows host. I use a program called vagrant it makes setting up a linux development environment so much easier.

But of course if you're planning to do more of a .NET stuff then definitely windows.

Or if you're interested in ios development then OSX it is.

For everything else use windows.

GAMINGCLICHE: Core i5 6500 - Gigabyte H170N-WiFi - Deepcool Gabriel - 16GB HyperX Fury - Asus Strix GTX 1070 OC - NZXT Manta

ORANGEJULIUS-720p: Core i3-3230 - Noctua 9UB-SE2 - Gigabyte B75N-itx - 8gb GSkill Ares - GTX 650Ti - Bitfenix Prodigy (RETIRED)

Makes sense.

Ubuntu is a very user friendly Linux distro, if you want to get into linux. There's nothing wrong with coding in Windows either. It depends upon the languages you use and the tools (IDE's, text editors, etc.) you pair with those languages.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Windows, OS X and Linux are all good development platforms. Play around with each of them to see which you prefer. Unless you have a specific reason to use a certain OS, you can pretty much use what you like the best.

Windows, OS X and Linux are all good development platforms. Play around with each of them to see which you prefer. Unless you have a specific reason to use a certain OS, you can pretty much use what you like the best.

How do you play around with OS X? I mean, you can't download the ISO for VirtualBox. Unless I grab OS X machine like MacBook Air or Pro.

Ubuntu is a very user friendly Linux distro, if you want to get into linux. There's nothing wrong with coding in Windows either. It depends upon the languages you use and the tools (IDE's, text editors, etc.) you pair with those languages.

Oh there is absolutely nothing wrong with coding on Windows. I just thought if any other OS will provide better Programming experience than this OS. 

I use linux vm on a windows host. I use a program called vagrant it makes setting up a linux development environment so much easier.

But of course if you're planning to do more of a .NET stuff then definitely windows.

Or if you're interested in ios development then OSX it is.

For everything else use windows.

What if you want to program for all three OS?

Not sure if it makes any sense. :S

How do you play around with OS X? I mean, you can't download the ISO for VirtualBox. Unless I grab OS X machine like MacBook Air or Pro.

Yeah, you'll really want to get your hands on one if you want to use OS X. Perhaps your school, or maybe a friend, has one that you can use.

If you're not doing iOS or OS X development though you'll be fine with just Windows and Linux. If you are, you'll probably want to get your own machine at some point.

Then you'll want all three. You may be able to code everything on one OS, but you'll need to run and test your application in each of them.

Then you'll want all three. You may be able to code everything on one OS, but you'll need to run and test your application in each of them.

Oh okay.

Yeah, you'll really want to get your hands on one if you want to use OS X. Perhaps your school, or maybe a friend, has one that you can use.

If you're not doing iOS or OS X development though you'll be fine with just Windows and Linux. If you are, you'll probably want to get your own machine at some point.

Hmm, I doubt any of my friends own a Mac, but I did saw a school library has iMac, lol.

Not sure if I can get ISO image file from them. 

Let say, if I did grab MacBook Air or Pro, does having VirtualBox on it will get a similar results compare to buying two devices (Windows + Linus Laptop & OS X Laptop 'MacBook Air/Pro')?

Oh okay.

Saw your post before the edit. I don't use OS X but I'm sure you can run a VM or something to get Windows and Linux access all on one machine. So that might be a good option if you need access to everything (again I can't speak from personal experience). You'll want to make sure the hardware can handle things though, you don't want a frustrating experience.

Saw your post before the edit. I don't use OS X but I'm sure you can run a VM or something to get Windows and Linux access all on one machine. So that might be a good option if you need access to everything (again I can't speak from personal experience). You'll want to make sure the hardware can handle things though, you don't want a frustrating experience.

Makes sense.

Thanks for the help. :P

I use openSUSE at work and Arch Linux at home.

Linux makes my life as a web/app developer a lot easier. 

Are planning to do cross platform development like desktop apps? Mobile apps? It really depends what kind of apps you want to focus on.

I think the most profitable and easy to get started are web and mobile apps.

So the easiest is get a linux with a lamp (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) stack vm on windows and you have a web development server on top of you windows. Much simpler than dual booting

GAMINGCLICHE: Core i5 6500 - Gigabyte H170N-WiFi - Deepcool Gabriel - 16GB HyperX Fury - Asus Strix GTX 1070 OC - NZXT Manta

ORANGEJULIUS-720p: Core i3-3230 - Noctua 9UB-SE2 - Gigabyte B75N-itx - 8gb GSkill Ares - GTX 650Ti - Bitfenix Prodigy (RETIRED)

See signature for linux recomendations

Hello LTT,

Thank you very much. 

i'll let you in on a secret. OS doesn't matter for developers. IDE is King. and it all depends what your are deving for? iphone? grab osx and xcode. .Net App/windows app/windows phone? grab visual studio and windows. any web language that isn't HTML (notepad) or ASP.NET(visual studio)? Linux, and nano/vim/whatever it is called.

i'll let you in on a secret. OS doesn't matter for developers. IDE is King. and it all depends what your are deving for? iphone? grab osx and xcode. .Net App/windows app/windows phone? grab visual studio and windows. any web language that isn't HTML (notepad) or ASP.NET(visual studio)? Linux, and nano/vim/whatever it is called.

Hmm. I see.

I haven't figure out which platform I should target for.