I Need (more of a want, really) A New Phone

byalexandr
Go to solution Solved by Jacktastic-Mofo,

How does it stand up to scratching and stuff?

Not 100% sure but a phantom glass screen protector makes the phone very resistant to scratches + the removal back-plate means that if you ever ding up the really nice leather to a horrid extent you can always replace it for less than 20$

I have the G3 and the plastic back on mine is ever so slightly scuffed up. I'm sure the backplate on the G4 would do even better :)

So I have a Nokia Lumia 1020. Yes, the one with the 41 MP behemoth of a camera. I liked it when I got it, but now it's starting to show it's age. It's kinda scratched up since the polycarbonate body doesn't handle being in my shop very well (I weld, wood work, metal work, etc.) and Windows Phone is very buggy, not to mention that the few apps that it has are also buggy. I would like something that is thin, very fast, but can handle a beating (well not a beating, but it doesn't show it's age/usage). I know there is the S6 Active, but that is meh, not very pretty. I like the 6S and the 6, but those are expensive and very fragile. Basically, I want a very fast phone that doesn't show it's age over time. Make some suggestions, thanks!

Oh, and the camera is pretty important, I do actually take a lot of photos and I do like the camera on my 1020 despite how much power it draws. A long battery is good too, but I'm not a very heavy user, I don't text and what-not all day. Thanks!

Oh, and I do like big screens. Although I'm not sure about the Note 5 and how it will hold up.

I will take your lumia 1020 to replace my 735 :)

Um... Maybe... Put a case on it? And a screen protector? Otherwise.. Um I do not know much about phones. xD

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Just get the S6 (Gaaxy) or the iPhone and put a case on it.
Durability and Beauty doesn't play well in mobile devices.

I produce music!

I will take your lumia 1020 to replace my 735 :)

Um... Maybe... Put a case on it? And a screen protector? Otherwise.. Um I do not know much about phones. xD

Well I don't like how even the thinnest cases make phones feel bulky, I like holding just the phone. Screen protectors always start peeling up or get dirt around the edges. How thin is the S6 Active? It's not that ugly, I just wish they made a phone that looks like normal but is waterproof and rugged.

I'd have to recommend a LG G4, it's big, takes nice photo's and is fast! + has a big battery!

Well I don't like how even the thinnest cases make phones feel bulky, I like holding just the phone. Screen protectors always start peeling up or get dirt around the edges. How thin is the S6 Active? It's not that ugly, I just wish they made a phone that looks like normal but is waterproof and rugged.

my screen protector has been on for nearly 6 months and is just like the day I put it in. A decent $10 glass screen protector does wonders. Also, to prevent scaratches. Just put some duct tape on the back while do you the welding, ect. The S6 I assume is thinner then the S5 which is pretty thinish.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

my screen protector has been on for nearly 6 months and is just like the day I put it in. A decent $10 glass screen protector does wonders. Also, to prevent scaratches. Just put some duct tape on the back while do you the welding, ect. The S6 I assume is thinner then the S5 which is pretty thinish.

Duct tape? Haha, that would leave residue and stuff. What about the G4 like @Jacktastic-Mofo said? Is the back removable? That way if the back, which is what appears to be leather, gets damaged I can replace it?

Not 100% sure but a phantom glass screen protector makes the phone very resistant to scratches + the removal back-plate means that if you ever ding up the really nice leather to a horrid extent you can always replace it for less than 20$

I have the G3 and the plastic back on mine is ever so slightly scuffed up. I'm sure the backplate on the G4 would do even better :)

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Oh yes, that's one gripe with my phone. It's a unibody type deal and since the camera sticks out it scratches in one specific spot when I lay it down. I think the G4 is going to be the one. Thanks!

Oh yes, that's one gripe with my phone. It's a unibody type deal and since the camera sticks out it scratches in one specific spot when I lay it down. I think the G4 is going to be the one. Thanks!

No problem, also the screen on the G4 is to die for, viewing your images you take on it on that screen will be amazing.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Get my phone, Sony Xperia Z Ultra

6.44 Inch of 1080P Goodness

sony-xperia-z-ultra-review-16.jpg

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

I found my Galaxy S5 too thin for my liking and put a beefy rugged case on it. I'm not a fan of thin phones at all. Minimum phone thickness for me is around 8mm.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

If you're looking for something on a budget, the Zenfone 2 is a great option, I ordered the 4GB/16GB model for $230 around an hour ago, there is also a 4GB/64GB $300 model, and a 2GB/16GB $200 model.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I found my Galaxy S5 too thin for my liking and put a beefy rugged case on it. I'm not a fan of thin phones at all. Minimum phone thickness for me is around 8mm.

I don't want something super thin like the iPhone 6 or 6S, but the LG G4 seems nice. I just like a flat phone, no bulgy cameras or anything coming out of the back.

If you're looking for something on a budget, the Zenfone 2 is a great option, I ordered the 4GB/16GB model for $230 around an hour ago, there is also a 4GB/64GB $300 model, and a 2GB/16GB $200 model.

Meh, not really my deal. I think the G4 is going to beat the hell out of this, right?

If you get a slim phone like an iPhone and you put a case on it it's still pretty thin. Getting a glass screen protector solves that problems because it won't peel.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

If you get a slim phone like an iPhone and you put a case on it it's still pretty thin. Getting a glass screen protector solves that problems because it won't peel.

+1 and they last till they break.

You Were Just What The Doc Ordered