Asus Xonar Essence STX background hiss

bubinasuit

So I just recently got myself an essence stx to pair with my shure se 535s and I'm really disappointed in it.

As you can probably guess by the title, there is an annoying background hiss when you have no audio playing; and that is very discouraging.

I figure if I drop 200 bucks on a sound card it should at least not make any noise when playing nothing....

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've tried playing with the settings and turned off SVN and it seems nothing I do eliminates the hiss.

(on a side note, if you change the out put to something that isn't the headphones, then there is absolutely no noise. which when you've been listening to hiss for a couple minutes sounds great :P)

Are your headphones(or headset)connected through the front panel audio?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Didn't you have the hiss before you got the sound card?

Maybe it's the headphones?

Do you have another pair to test out?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I doubt it's the headphones because I've used my 4rth generation ipod on it and I get barely any hiss at all.

im pretty sure it's the card

and no Im not using the front panel audio. I'm using the quarter inch headphone out on the card

what gain setting is it on?  It hisses like a maniac on high and extra high gain.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

<64 ohm

I wouldn't dare anything else on headphones that are only 34 ohms

<64 ohm

I wouldn't dare anything else on headphones that are only 34 ohms

ohhhhhh, I see, you have IEMs.  Well, yeah, uhhh, how do I say this....  That 117 db SNR on the headphone amp .... that's only for MAX volume.  It's more like 75 at 50%.  Which isn't bad, but your IEMs are REALLY sensitive at 119 db/mW, which would be why the noise floor is in your face. 

Unfortunately, I can't think of many amps off the top of my head that have low enough noise to really work well with IEMs like these.  The Sansa Clip+ is a pmp I use with my Etymotics.  No hiss there.  The FiiO E10 will proabably still have some hiss, but not nearly as much.

Maybe try something like an O2+ODAC with 1x/2.5x gain.  Or high impedance headphones.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

you might have some luck with an attenuator like this.

it just increases the impedance, which should lower the SPL and reduce the hiss.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Etymotic-ER4P-to-ER4S-3-5MM-plug-resistor-adaptor-/281147560186?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4175b350fa

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

you might have some luck with an attenuator like this.

it just increases the impedance, which should lower the SPL and reduce the hiss.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Etymotic-ER4P-to-ER4S-3-5MM-plug-resistor-adaptor-/281147560186?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4175b350fa

Lol that reminds me of the attenuator I use on a frequency generator :P

alright I check around and couldn't find an a resistor adapter locally so I ordered it from the ebay seller.

hopefully I works out. 

now all i have to do is wait for them to show up september 11th...

thanks for the help