Dac Recomendation

bobbagels

Hello hello,

I have a Little Dot on the way from Massdrop. (will be using it with a Dt 770 and Dt 990 for now)

I think I would like to add a Dac to the mix. 

Can anyone recommend something for me?

I was looking at the Schitt 

http://www.amazon.com/Modi-Uber-Digital-Analog-Converter/dp/B00TUGOAH4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

I like the connectivity options. 

But I am reading it needs drivers?:

Hello hello,

I have a Little Dot on the way from Massdrop. (will be using it with a Dt 770 and Dt 990 for now)

http://www.amazon.com/Modi-Uber-Digital-Analog-Converter/dp/B00TUGOAH4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

It connects through USB meaning that Windows should install the driver automagically. If it does need a driver then it will be included on a disc and on Schiit's site. 

If you want to save some money this DAC is stupendous if you use a 1/4" adapter on your headphones: http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-SD793-II-PCM1793-DIR9001-Amplifier/dp/B00A2QLPJM/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1443319287&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=smsl+dac

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Hello hello,

A Schiit dac will only need drivers if you are using usb. If you are using the digital out the only drivers you will need are the ones for the the device providing the optical out. I personally have the Bifrost from Schiit, and find it to sound fine although you could probably get a cheaper dac. In my opinion the amp makes a much larger difference than the dac.

BTW the DT770 sound so much better with a good amp :) I still use them over my fostex th600 from time to time for my fun music.

I suggest anything that connects to the computer with an optical S/PDIF cable. I got a ground loop with my Little Dot until an optical connection was used.

It connects through USB meaning that Windows should install the driver automagically. If it does need a driver then it will be included on a disc and on Schiit's site.

If you want to save some money this DAC is stupendous if you use a 1/4" adapter on your headphones: http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-SD793-II-PCM1793-DIR9001-Amplifier/dp/B00A2QLPJM/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1443319287&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=smsl+dac

The SMSL is a dac/amp, so while the OP could use it (it does have line out, after all) it would be a little bit redundant.

A Schiit dac will only need drivers if you are using usb. If you are using the digital out the only drivers you will need are the ones for the the device providing the optical out. I personally have the Bifrost from Schiit, and find it to sound fine although you could probably get a cheaper dac. In my opinion the amp makes a much larger difference than the dac.

BTW the DT770 sound so much better with a good amp :) I still use them over my fostex th600 from time to time for my fun music.

Get an ODAC. No drivers, better measured performance.

To the three of you above this: windows only supports class 1 USB audio devices driverlessly. For class 2 and above (e.g. Anything over 92khz), you'll need drivers. Linux and Mac both natively support USB class 2 audio devices.

That being said, the modi and odac will both work up to 92khz in Windows without any drivers that the os can't install itself (e.g. Plug and play).

I suggest anything that connects to the computer with an optical S/PDIF cable. I got a ground loop with my Little Dot until an optical connection was used.

As long as ground looping isn't an issue for OP, USB and optical will have the same max bit rate and should be totally fine :)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

The SMSL is a dac/amp, so while the OP could use it (it does have line out, after all) it would be a little bit redundant.

To the three of you above this: windows only supports class 1 USB audio devices driverlessly. For class 2 and above (e.g. Anything over 92khz), you'll need drivers. Linux and Mac both natively support USB class 2 audio devices.

That being said, the modi and odac will both work up to 92khz in Windows without any drivers that the os can't install itself (e.g. Plug and play).

As long as ground looping isn't an issue for OP, USB and optical will have the same max bit rate and should be totally fine :)

My point was that I think a ground loop is very likely with this particular product. If OP doesn't get one, that's great and he can ignore me.

My point was that I think a ground loop is very likely with this particular product. If OP doesn't get one, that's great and he can ignore me.

Gotcha :)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)