Speakers pop when amp turned on

spwath

When I turn on my receiver (Onkyo tx-sr606)

My speakers make a semi loud deep pop sound.

Is this normal?

Can this damage my speakers?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

It is normal, and no it shouldnt damage them. its the DC offset cap charging.

OK good.

I just didn't want them to actually pop.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

My receiver doesn't make any pops at all...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

My receiver doesn't make any pops at all...

Neither does mine. but it does a soft start on the amp circuitry. It happens with cheaper transistor amps. My portable 30W speaker that I made has no pops due to it being a class D amp.

Neither does mine. but it does a soft start on the amp circuitry. It happens with cheaper transistor amps. My portable 30W speaker that I made has no pops due to it being a class D amp.

My onkyo amp would have been like 400-500$ back in 2008

My onkyo amp would have been like 400-500$ back in 2008

I kinda meant simpler design when I said cheap. Its not really a huge issue. My receiver... I have no idea what the price would have been back so long ago.

7607-hk_AVR20II.JPG

When I turn on my receiver (Onkyo tx-sr606)

My speakers make a semi loud deep pop sound.

Is this normal?

Can this damage my speakers?

It actually can damage the speakers, I have broken 2 sets of Studio monitors by the "Pop" you hear it will eventually rip the cones and need reconing.. Turn the amp on before your speakers and it will be fine.. Source: Me, Somebody who works in a studio and own his own ;)

Pls Follow your own posts!      Chief Engineer for my School Studio, Own my own Home Studio also. I also do requests for Remixing songs too :D Storage Server: Mobo: Supermicro X8SIA-F Case: Some Supermicro 1U case Drives: 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drives, 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM CPU: Intel Xeon X3430 2.4GHz Ram: 2x Kingston ECC 2GB sticks

It actually can damage the speakers, I have broken 2 sets of Studio monitors by the "Pop" you hear it will eventually rip the cones and need reconing.. Turn the amp on before your speakers and it will be fine.. Source: Me, Somebody who works in a studio and own his own ;)

With @spwath 's new speakers, they should be fine. I can see how it would damage them, but not if the amp and speakers were of decent quality.

I cant turn on the speakers. They are passive.

There is no way to turn on amp before speakers.

How loud is the pop? If its not any louder than you would ever crank up the speakers to, its probably fine.

With @spwath 's new speakers, they should be fine. I can see how it would damage them, but not if the amp and speakers were of decent quality.

It doesn't really matter the quality, The popping is a Transient producing a Square-Wave making the speaker cones extend farther than they are meant to depending on the Gain (IE: Volume) since speakers aren't meant to produce Square-Waves at a medium-Loudish volume..

Pls Follow your own posts!      Chief Engineer for my School Studio, Own my own Home Studio also. I also do requests for Remixing songs too :D Storage Server: Mobo: Supermicro X8SIA-F Case: Some Supermicro 1U case Drives: 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drives, 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM CPU: Intel Xeon X3430 2.4GHz Ram: 2x Kingston ECC 2GB sticks

If they are powered before the amp then make sure the amp volume is turned down before you turn it on and it shouldn't make the pop.

It doesn't really matter the quality, The popping is a Transient producing a Square-Wave making the speaker cones extend farther than they are meant to depending on the Gain (IE: Volume) since speakers aren't meant to produce Square-Waves at a medium-Loudish volume..

IDK how to avoid it though

How loud is the pop? If its not any louder than you would ever crank up the speakers to, its probably fine.

IDK, I dont think its that loud, its normal volume.

I am aware of this, I have rebuild speakers and designed audio amps. But if its a DC offset cap causing the spike, disconnecting the speakers and waiting for a bit wont solve anything unless the amp has a resistor in it to discharge the cap when speakers arent connected.

If they are powered before the amp then make sure the amp volume is turned down before you turn it on and it shouldn't make the pop.

Yeah, i could do that, it seems to work

Some amps will still do it. If the preamp is whats making the sound, then turning it down MIGHT solve it. but if the driver amp is what makes the pop, volume wont matter. Edit: he said it seems to work, so must be a preamp turning on.

Some amps will still do it. If the preamp is whats making the sound, then turning it down MIGHT solve it. but if the driver amp is what makes the pop, volume wont matter. Edit: he said it seems to work, so must be a preamp turning on.

although it could be that it worked because i only left the receiver off for about 5 seconds

the pop can be bad for the voice coil. make sure when you turn on or off your system that your levels are low

︻デ┳═ー - - - - === = -٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

If you're turning the speakers on, they have their own internal amp. Two amps equal more power equals duh. With a single standard AVR he will be fine.

I have very large speakers and I can confirm they pop when they start recieving or lose power. I usually control the power with the switches on the back though so they won't pop. 

I had a chorus teacher tell me that I shouldn't let them pop since it hurts them. Not sure if this is true.

If you're turning the speakers on, they have their own internal amp. Two amps equal more power equals duh. With a single standard AVR he will be fine.

Dont run an amp into an amp unless the second amp has a speaker level input...

I have very large speakers and I can confirm they pop when they start recieving or lose power. I usually control the power with the switches on the back though so they won't pop. 

I had a chorus teacher tell me that I shouldn't let them pop since it hurts them. Not sure if this is true.

Yes it is true that it damages them.

Yes it is true that it damages them.

It's a good thing I have been doing it properly then.