[Completed] Project Insidious - Define R5 White / Z170 Krait / 6600K / GTX 980 Ti HOF

Micdeez

Trust that this gives a better indication of the coolant shade.

The coolant is really clear, not as I hoped of course.

DK7N0n8l.jpg

Trust that this gives a better indication of the coolant shade.

The coolant is really clear, not as I hoped of course.

DK7N0n8l.jpg

i think its perfect i love this build 

i think its perfect i love this build 

Thanks @Dukanater, I keep thinking that I am a seasoned builder and probably should check my expectations. 

This is my first ever attempt at a build, let alone water cooling.

Thanks @Dukanater, I keep thinking that I am a seasoned builder and probably should check my expectations. 

This is my first ever attempt at a build, let alone water cooling.

well your doing better than 95% of everyone else on here that posts =p including myself i started my computer and than ran out of creative drive and i had so many ideas i couldnt decide what to do then i just kind of gave up... lol my next computer just wont have a side panel so i dont have to worry about making it pretty 

post-257668-0-33798700-1445103090.jpgthis is my current unfinished project

well your doing better than 95% of everyone else on here that posts =p including myself i started my computer and than ran out of creative drive and i had so many ideas i couldnt decide what to do then i just kind of gave up... lol my next computer just wont have a side panel so i dont have to worry about making it pretty this is my current unfinished project

Your build is neat! Not sure what other vision you need but the colour scheme looks simple but effective. Maybe your next plan is the water cooling loop? Water cooling got so expensive really fast though... Especially using Bitspower gear too...

Your build is neat! Not sure what other vision you need but the colour scheme looks simple but effective. Maybe your next plan is the water cooling loop? Water cooling got so expensive really fast though... Especially using Bitspower gear too...

thx i was a bit hasty when i made this computer i had the money and i was replacing my daily driver laptop from 2009 so i just went balls deep and didn't really plan for a finished project like i wish i had. for example i got all led fans to light up my case not knowing the led strips were like a thing people did... lol so now its retardedly bright and i have all these fans i need to replace because i don't like the way it looks. the shroud was a simple mod but i still have all the space on the right that id like to fill and after i do that i am considering doing a custom loop but i think i want to change the orange to just black and white i really love your build and it makes me wish i had stayed all black and white

Hi guys, so a new order was made for a few additional things

- More BP fittings!

- DEMCIfilter white custom filters for the R5

- PWM 8 fan hub -Silverstone

- Total 4 Darkside LED 12"! This rig gonna be BRIGHT! But I'll hook it up to the R5 fan controller so I can adjust dim level.

Never ending spend this! :/

Looking great. I like the acrylic on top, but what kind of grill were you going to add? looks good as is.

I also think the fluid looks great as is, I like the subtlety of it. Not clear, not black. What coolant were you using? If you want an inky black you should look into mayhems or EK pastel colours.

I decided to actually ditch the acrylic top, the filter kept on peeling off and thought it's just much easier to get the DEMCIfilter that was custom made for R5. I got it in white/white.

I ordered some more Primochill Utopia black nano fluid, this time I'll put distilled water in the loop first then add the fluid by drop until it goes black. I made the mistake of adding the fluid in 1 gallon of water and then filling it up. It looked black in the jug!

Made another costly mistake when ordering the Darkside LED x4, I just bought the wrong extensions and needed a 3-pin end. They are so bright though, top quality LEDs that's for sure.

Looking great. I like the acrylic on top, but what kind of grill were you going to add? looks good as is.

I also think the fluid looks great as is, I like the subtlety of it. Not clear, not black. What coolant were you using? If you want an inky black you should look into mayhems or EK pastel colours.

Another revised acrylic order made, going with a new acrylic clear window sheet that's even bigger than the first!

This will basically be an "XL" version and I would say have 40mm perimeter left of the whole side window :)

I also ordered along a 2mm white acrylic piece to cover the GFX backplate and will use the spare vinyl artwork I had & stick together.

I forgot to say big thanks to @Snef for the inspiration to do it this way (re backplate art method) with his Necromancer customer build. Backplate screws are hidden and would look much neater!

Thought I would share some pics of the side window being water-jet cut.

A mate of a mate owns this shop and fortunately was able to get this job done in return for a six pack of his favourite beer (seriously!).

First time seeing a $500k machine do its thing. Did a perfect cut of course and happy with the result!

Will have the rest of the acrylic pieces delivered tomorrow hopefully.

Thanks for tuning in!

eFjnkL5l.jpg

TyxCCa7l.jpg

Awesome!

I'm always jelly when people get to use big expensive machines though, :P

i run big expensive machines for a living its not all its cracked up to be =p

Awesome!

I'm always jelly when people get to use big expensive machines though, :P

Thanks, I got very lucky when I caught wind of someone with that machine, normally it's $100+ for a one off job like this due to the setting up etc.

Just means I won't have to put an ugly rubber strip around the edges which is nice.

Update:

- Bought a white paint marker to clean up the inside edge of the cutout

- Installed the "XL" acrylic window! Its 4.5mm thick and the plexi-glass should definitely be durable in the long run.

- Used heavy duty 36mm double-sided tape. Used mainly for trade jobs like tiles etc. X-acto knifed the excess around the border.

I am so impressed with how the window looks! If only Fractal did this from the get-go, a super sized window. Its about 40mm edge to edge left.

Thanks for tuning in, a few more things like replacing the blue LED to white, and general cable tidying.

Not too long to go, DYING to play Fallout 4 which I already bought :)

1tp4Yi1l.jpg

01hGIpjl.jpg

BSSgRXpl.jpg

Hi all, so an update but a troubling one, my PC won't post. Here is the order and how it came about:

- tidied up all wiring

- installed all the Darkside LEDS

- switched on PC, everything worked great and was able to boot into Windows 10

- 15 min later, screen turns off and VGA light on mobo turns on then off in 10 sec

- realise it may be the graphics, but I switch off PC

- remove CMOS battery for 1 minute, reseat

- VGA light remains off, but DRAM now lights up! Still no display.

- one instance the PC turned on then turned off after 15 sec. I thought great, PSU dead? But no issue since letting it rest

- rechecked all cables, don't appear to see any way it could short?

- note all electrics work now, DRAM light still on but I fear it could either be the mobo, VGA or memory sticks.

- not keen to take out the GFX since I'll need to take out the loop. Might read more on this DRAM light error first..

I'll need to test tomorrow since it's late now, but recording this in some hopes someone might have some ideas.

Mobo - MSI Krait Z170

VGA - Galax GTX 980

RAM - Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666

PSU - Corsair RM850i

Hi all, so an update but a troubling one, my PC won't post. Here is the order and how it came about:

- tidied up all wiring

- installed all the Darkside LEDS

- switched on PC, everything worked great and was able to boot into Windows 10

- 15 min later, screen turns off and VGA light on mobo turns on then off in 10 sec

- realise it may be the graphics, but I switch off PC

- remove CMOS battery for 1 minute, reseat

- VGA light remains off, but DRAM now lights up! Still no display.

- one instance the PC turned on then turned off after 15 sec. I thought great, PSU dead? But no issue since letting it rest

- rechecked all cables, don't appear to see any way it could short?

- note all electrics work now, DRAM light still on but I fear it could either be the mobo, VGA or memory sticks.

- not keen to take out the GFX since I'll need to take out the loop. Might read more on this DRAM light error first..

I'll need to test tomorrow since it's late now, but recording this in some hopes someone might have some ideas.

Mobo - MSI Krait Z170

VGA - Galax GTX 980

RAM - Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666

PSU - Corsair RM850i

Could you test with another psu?

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.8ghz  Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.SNIPER 5 Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Storage: Kingston V300 Series 240GB Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 3TB Video Card: 2x(SLI) Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II @ 1410mhz / 1600mhz Case: Corsair 760T White Power Supply:  AX1200i  Buildlog: [ Build Log ] Black and Green build

I agree, I should be able borrow a friends and test this out.

Such a shame, I was ready to take the final pictures of the build!

Update: PC is functioning again. The PSU swap test worked a treat thanks @Philz69, just isolated the issue by using onboard video, then ram stick one by one, all using the spare PSU, all worked then re wired everything back together.

I cannot confirm what had happened, I presume there must've been some sort of short and system went into protection mode.

Anyway, on to finalising the build and looking forward to getting the final pics done.

Small update to those wanting to change the power button LED on the R5..

There is similarity to the Define R4, but with differences on how to swap from this guide:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/88627-modding-or-replacing-the-power-led-of-a-fractal-design-define/

The one addition is a 5x2x7mm LED square diode to complement the 3mm round LED diode (3.3v).

The plastic shroud contains both of these, and I used pliers to gently pry the square LED out.

I don't like the blue colours, and swapping it for all white. Final pics will be on hold until I receive delivery and solder them in...

• 1 month later...

Graphics card died guys.. I won't bore you guys too much, but ultimately I spent the best part of a week trying to resolve..

Card is going for RMA (Galax GTX 980). I honestly didn't think it overclocked that well, so tossing up the idea on just upgrading to a 980 Ti.

Thoughts?

Graphics card died guys.. I won't bore you guys too much, but ultimately I spent the best part of a week trying to resolve..

Card is going for RMA (Galax GTX 980). I honestly didn't think it overclocked that well, so tossing up the idea on just upgrading to a 980 Ti.

Thoughts?

Go for it! The 980ti is an absolute beast :D 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.8ghz  Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.SNIPER 5 Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Storage: Kingston V300 Series 240GB Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 3TB Video Card: 2x(SLI) Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II @ 1410mhz / 1600mhz Case: Corsair 760T White Power Supply:  AX1200i  Buildlog: [ Build Log ] Black and Green build

Go for it! The 980ti is an absolute beast :D

Glad to hear! I can get the GALAX HOF 980 Ti for $649.99 USD via GALAX (on special); will have to import it via 3rd party as they don't accept USA customers. No one sells the GALAX Ti anymore here in Australia. Don't know if that's a bad thing. I think I win by about $100 even if the HOF Ti was sold here.

I upgraded to the new Dell GSYNC 1440p and whilst the 980 was great, I think the Ti should definitely max it out nicely.

I also had my custom backplate branded in the HOF logo so if I buy another brand, I'll need to re-do the vinyl work :(

Should I pull the trigger? I am a little nervous about warranty since I am buying internationally...